Best of Waves thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys

If you don't mind I thought it would be helpful to get some opinions as all my demos ran out a while ago, what waves do you have or used and how do you rank them within waves own product line?

I'd say

Eq's

API Eq's Love them, so smooth, I love the broad sound shaping, huge bass, lovely highs.
V-series Eq's Love them but not quite as much as API, but really good for thumping bass.

Comps

API, liked it, but not crazy about it. Seemed a bit dull and not too lively
H-comp - So so, some settings were cool
RenComp - Really liked it, soft warm sound, can get rough too
V-comp - Kind of liked it, wasn't too sure. Definitely good, just maybe not convincing enough
CLA comps - okay, maybe there are not modelled down to the distortion, these are my favourate versions of these comps, dark a little, grainy perhaps, but the general character is so nice, the 1176 is great for ramming kicks into. It's very stick/gluey.
PIE - Love how creamy this is. Slightly lacking in distortion, but lovely gluey character, great for colourful synth parts.

I've heard that the SSL comp aint all that. I love Duende but lets see if they have a sale. :lol:
Last edited by Aiynzahev on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

CLA Artist Series - Call me a cheater but these plug-ins can work great.

CLA Compressors - Good 1176 and LA-2A clones which are in EVERY professional studio.

Renaissance Vox - My go-to vocal compressor.

API 2500 sounds very close to the hardware...or so I've read.

The hybrid series (H-EQ, H-Delay, H-Comp) are all great/versatile.

IR-L is used on every one of my mixes.

Kramer HLS and PIE = good stuff.

L2 is a classic. There are better plugins out there but this is one I hear pop up a lot in interviews with engineers.

PuigChild is a great Fairchild clone. If IK Multimedia didn't release such a good clone (and did it first IIRC) I would have bought this one.

PuigTech, at least to my ears, sounds too harsh compared to IK Multimedia's Pultec clone. IK doesn't offer the MEQ-5 though.

Q10 is another plugin top engineers use despite it being old. If you buy H-EQ I'd skip it though because the digital mode works just as well.

I would have recommended Renaissance De-esser two months ago but Fabfilter Pro-DS came out and puts it and all other de-essers to shame.

The SSL plugins are top notch. Except the G Master Buss...buy The Glue instead.

Skip Non-linear Summer. Slate Digital beat them to the punch with the Virtual Console Collection and they sound better IMHO.

+1 on the API EQs. Great drum and guitar eqs!

I love

API EQs
Kramer Helios
Kramer Tape (yes, even with Slate VTM out)
SSL
Aphex
Finally!

Waves have quite a few cool plugins, but the only one I consider to be totally genial is Vocal Rider. Pure genius.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

others here report that vocal rider is totally broken and useless :)
Finally!

cyphersuit wrote:others here report that vocal rider is totally broken and useless :)
Cannot be! It sounds like a 303 and Virus at the same time :o
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

AudioGuy720 wrote: Q10 is another plugin top engineers use despite it being old. If you buy H-EQ I'd skip it though because the digital mode works just as well.
Unfortunately, H-EQ takes away (very) much CPU power even if I bypass all of the other stuff like analyzer and THD.
Q10 barely takes any CPU at all so it's great for mixing in that respect.

added: The H-EQ is very tempting tho! :D

cyphersuit wrote:I love

API EQs
Kramer Helios
Kramer Tape (yes, even with Slate VTM out)
SSL
Aphex
i also need to add H-Delay

using it very often.
Finally!

I think that H-EQ would be the best choice for a good color EQ VS the CPU it takes.

I tested it VS the Waves plugs it supposed to model and it stood up very good.
tested the Pultec VS the NI Enhanced EQ ..taking away similar amounts of CPU for about the same quality results.
...from Gearslutz wrote:I was wondering the same thing. My guess would be:

US Vintage: Pultec
UK Vintage 1: Neve 1073
UK Vintage 2: Neve 1081
US Modern: API
UK Modern: SSL
the SSL would be the E series and the API-550A I guess.

If I go for the NI VC bundle I won't be able to buy this too :cry:
... dunno if that's a good or a bad thing :D

The H-Series is very good. The H-Delay, H-Comp, H-EQ...

also Waves Center and Waves S1

love those.
Finally!

Musicians II bundle
If someone's in need for quality "go-to" plugs than this bundle would be a great deal atm IMO!

Considering getting it instead of the H-EQ as the plugs sound great (always loved :love: the REQ sound) and they barely take any CPU.

3ee wrote:Musicians II bundle
If someone's in need for quality "go-to" plugs than this bundle would be a great deal atm IMO!

Considering getting it instead of the H-EQ as the plugs sound great (always loved :love: the REQ sound) and they barely take any CPU.
I think I'm gettin this and L1, maybe CLA (for $100)!
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Another vote for the entire H series. Very good sound, very versitile.

A note on the CPU usage of H-EQ, I found that its CPU usage is significantly higher when the plugin window is open (ie, when you edit the settings). Even when the analyser is turned off. Once you close the GUI, everything is back to normal. I have a slow Core2duo, and it didn't stop me from buying it some time ago, and I'm very happy with it.

BDeep wrote:A note on the CPU usage of H-EQ, I found that its CPU usage is significantly higher when the plugin window is open (ie, when you edit the settings). Even when the analyser is turned off. Once you close the GUI, everything is back to normal.
I know, tried that but I wouldn't call the CPU getting back to "normal" :hihi: although that does save CPU.
Great plug tho :)

Return to “Effects”