Trash 2 vs Saturn - which would you choose?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BDeep wrote:Where Saturn excels is in the subtle approach.
I agree. In subtle things Saturn just blows my mind with its quality.

I'm using the "paint myself into a corner approach" on Saturn- the demo creeps into more and more projects until I'm screwed if I don't buy it. Just had to get Valhalla Room that way. :lol:

For noisy/grungy/lo-fi'd I've never been happy with any plugins compared to re-amping.

I've been demoing Saturn and Trash quite a lot over the weekend. They are both great, no question. And I nearly pulled the trigger to grab Trash.

But then I realized:
  • I already have a lot of tools for all kinds of distortion from subtle to wild: Camel Phat/Crusher, DiversionFX, Magnetic II, Melda's MLimiter and MWaveshaper (and their multiband counterparts), Etch, SKnote StripBus + Roundtone, Amplitube etc. You can get pretty nice results with a seemingly simple plugins like MLimiter. For example, you can recreate the tape and tube distortions of Saturn rather convincingly in MLimiter (IMO).
  • I already have a convolution plugin. The included impulses in Trash are pretty nice, though.
  • I already have more than enough compressors (single-band and multiband)
  • I already have more than one delay plugin. Also, Trash's delay is missing essential functionality IMO like filters and panning
  • I already have dedicated filter plugins, e.g. Runciter or Etch.
The modulation capabilities of Trash are rather limited. Only the filters can be (barely!) modulated. Saturn really trumps here. But then again, the Melda stuff for example has also powerful modulation capabilities (though a tad less simple to set up).
Some of the filters in Trash are pretty cool, though. But I can't really justify coughing up $128 for those.

The big plus of both plugins is that you get nice integrated packages that are very easy to work with.

At this point I think I won't buy either of them. They are both superb effects, but in the end they don't add enough to my set up that I don't have already.

If you don't have alternative plugins for the components that Saturn or Trash include I suppose you can't go wrong with either of them. If I had to choose I I'd go for Trash as it has more sound shaping options, awesome filters and it's slightly cheaper. I could work around the lack of modulation options with automation.

I guess I was able to fight the GAS this time! :hyper:

OK, I'm off to buy Valhalla ÜberMod...

paterpeter wrote:
I guess I was able to fight the GAS this time! :hyper:
:!:

paterpeter wrote:

OK, I'm off to buy Valhalla ÜberMod...

t3toooo wrote:
paterpeter wrote: I guess I was able to fight the GAS this time! :hyper:
paterpeter wrote:OK, I'm off to buy Valhalla ÜberMod...
:hihi:

I didn't say it would last very long.

:lol:

Thanks guys. Still on the fence. Granted it does make some very intresting sounds, but I dont know if I'd use it enough in my music. In fact, thats why I originally passed on Saturn! Like Paterpeter, I have SOOOO many tools that I need to dig into, that probably can get me at least most of the way to Trash, yet I'm still tempted because its a "great deal."

What about this thought - getting Trash at this intro price, and if I don't like it I should be able to sell it used for what I paid for it once it starts going for $250, right?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

I'm following the logic of you guys on this. About having enough tools in this category, and so on.

I'm unable to take advantage of the Cyber Monday sale so I'll have to pick up for the 135 it was at Sound Deluxe before the sale.

It's pretty interesting times. To get tools like this at these prices. In Denmark 135 bucks gets you a pair of well made norwegien socks. A latte and a return train ticket to the nearest bigger Danish Town.. So if you can do with out socks latte and visits then the Trash 2 is yours.

Other places have lower costs of living so 135 bucks has more of a sting.

I really like Trash 2. It's not a NEED, but it is unique, newly released update, has a nice interface. A few lacks that I can compensate for with my homegrown devices in Numerology.

Ahhh heck I think I'll get it, get it get it...

If you buy it at this price and want to sell later it will not be a problem I'd guess even for 160 or 170!

übermod, is nice but I'm into the Trash..
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

LGK_Dude wrote:I'm still tempted because its a "great deal."
That's the point of sales, right? Putting pressure on you, making you feel like you're missing a great opportunity if you don't buy.

IMO, don't buy it just because it is on sale. Buy it if you like it and if you see places to use it in your music. Buy it if it's worth $128-$150 to you, if you can spare the money and if you wouldn't feel too bad if it dropped to $100 in 6 months.
What about this thought - getting Trash at this intro price, and if I don't like it I should be able to sell it used for what I paid for it once it starts going for $250, right?
That's a valid thought, of course. Trash is a great plugin, but $250 is too steep IMO. So if you really like it, it makes sense to pull the trigger now. Or at least before 6 dec.

I'm not trying to talk you into it nor out of it. It's just that I know this situation all too well. I've bought a LOT of stuff on sale. Just remember that you save even more if you don't buy something :-)

paterpeter wrote:Just remember that you save even more if you don't buy something :-)
Wise words, wise words... Totally ignores the facts about GAS syndrome, but wise words nonetheless. ;)

BDeep wrote:
paterpeter wrote:Just remember that you save even more if you don't buy something :-)
Wise words, wise words... Totally ignores the facts about GAS syndrome, but wise words nonetheless. ;)
It's part of my GAS therapy to say those words aloud at least once a day :lol:

Being a VST collector is a real GAS! :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I can't justify the price of Trash, so I can't bring myself to demo it.

As far as Saturn goes... it just didn't inspire me. No doubt it is useful, but I have Ohmicide and Kombinat DVA and several other tools already. I am not a big fan of the Fabfilter style of UI, and I find all the presets with heavy modulation kind of silly.

FXpansion Maul was mentioned in the other thread though, and I have fallen in love with it. It can be subtle or normal or effing weird, and more versatile than Ohmicide (which is usually just an engine of chaos and destruction). At less than half the cost of Trash 2, it's still not a casual purchase but I'll probably treat myself to it anyway.

foosnark wrote:I can't justify the price of Trash, so I can't bring myself to demo it.

As far as Saturn goes... it just didn't inspire me. No doubt it is useful, but I have Ohmicide and Kombinat DVA and several other tools already. I am not a big fan of the Fabfilter style of UI, and I find all the presets with heavy modulation kind of silly.

FXpansion Maul was mentioned in the other thread though, and I have fallen in love with it. It can be subtle or normal or effing weird, and more versatile than Ohmicide (which is usually just an engine of chaos and destruction). At less than half the cost of Trash 2, it's still not a casual purchase but I'll probably treat myself to it anyway.
I'm feverishly demoing Trash 2. This period until the 6th of December it's at $150 so it's not far from the price of Maul.

I too like Maul. But In my IMO Trash is more interesting for creating unique sounds and fine tuning existing ones to your material. Trash module with Distortion curves editing, and distortion amount filter, Convolution with the ability to import user Impuls response files, 2x 6 band filters, delay. module schematic in the graph page allowing parallel processing, add a lot to the package too. At $250 it is worth it for those that are very serious about using it to it's full potential, for less in depth work, then Maul would be a fine choice.. Actually out of the plugs I've been trying out lately in this category Maul stood out as having very pleasing sound right out of the box.

I'm not too worried about going too into depth with Saturn as there's no deadline for any decisions. I can get when at anytime. So now I've decided to focus my efforts on learning Trash 2 so as to make an informed decision about it's usefulness for my way of working before the 6th of December.

Saturn is a great tool too, and modulations are wonderfully easy compared to Trash 2..

I'm setting up my modulations for trash using the tools in Numerology and until I get really familiar with what things do in Trash 2 I can't say much about this workflow compared to Saturns built in Modulations setup.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Id advice to check Maul and Ohmicide first

Saturn - is too subtle to my ears, reminds more analog gear lush touch to sound than actual distortion.
Trash - like someone said on KVR earlier it's too TRASH, it sounds too harsh and and it wasn't that easy to find a decent preset or to adjust it to make it sound warmer or more clearly.

Ohmicide - has awful interface but it used to be one and only substitute to Quadrafuzz which doesn't work on MAC. It has really wide application to me from very warm and rich saturation to quite bright rectify-distortion.

Maul - its very close to Ohmicide in its application but has really transparent and nice GUI.

So, after listening to all these demos I'm inclining to buy Maul.

UP: R47 - a freeware distortion for both MAC and PC made my day recently! :roll:

Sendy wrote:Being a VST collector is a real GAS! :hihi:
it is indeed :cry:

Also isn't it strange how we are fussing over things that makes our sounds sound worse in a way?

:lol:
:borg:

Return to “Effects”