I've been demoing Saturn and Trash quite a lot over the weekend. They are both great, no question. And I nearly pulled the trigger to grab Trash.
But then I realized:
- I already have a lot of tools for all kinds of distortion from subtle to wild: Camel Phat/Crusher, DiversionFX, Magnetic II, Melda's MLimiter and MWaveshaper (and their multiband counterparts), Etch, SKnote StripBus + Roundtone, Amplitube etc. You can get pretty nice results with a seemingly simple plugins like MLimiter. For example, you can recreate the tape and tube distortions of Saturn rather convincingly in MLimiter (IMO).
- I already have a convolution plugin. The included impulses in Trash are pretty nice, though.
- I already have more than enough compressors (single-band and multiband)
- I already have more than one delay plugin. Also, Trash's delay is missing essential functionality IMO like filters and panning
- I already have dedicated filter plugins, e.g. Runciter or Etch.
The modulation capabilities of Trash are rather limited. Only the filters can be (barely!) modulated. Saturn really trumps here. But then again, the Melda stuff for example has also powerful modulation capabilities (though a tad less simple to set up).
Some of the filters in Trash are pretty cool, though. But I can't really justify coughing up $128 for those.
The big plus of both plugins is that you get nice integrated packages that are very easy to work with.
At this point I think I won't buy either of them. They are both superb effects, but in the end they don't add enough to my
set up that I don't have already.
If you don't have alternative plugins for the components that Saturn or Trash include I suppose you can't go wrong with either of them. If I had to choose I I'd go for Trash as it has more sound shaping options, awesome filters and it's slightly cheaper. I could work around the lack of modulation options with automation.
I guess I was able to fight the GAS this time!
OK, I'm off to buy Valhalla ÜberMod...