TesslaPRO mkII

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Quick test and feedback:

I am actually not fond of the VU being locked at 600ms now. I understand where you try to aim at (loudness measurement, since this device can be used as exciter). But please offer a switch or multi-rotary switch for 300ms unweighted/400ms k-weighted/600ms unweighted. Personally I still use 300ms unweighted for MOST plugins, including XTC. I'm just used to the ANSI C16.5-1942/British Standard BS 6840/IEC 60268-17 standard for VU's while using such plugin on individual channels. Mastering is a different topic.

Then the addenum of the manual:
DRIVE adjusts the internal gain for the stateful saturation circuit. BOOST adjusts the level of solid 2nd and 3rd order harmonics as well as the internal headroom. The 0dB setting is calibrated to have a headroom at around +9dBFS upfront clipping occurs. The device can be driven even hotter in 3dB steps down to a headrom at around -3dBFS.
This confuses me a bit. Either the +9dBFS is a type and must mean -9dBFS digital peak, or the control of the plugin is actually turned around.

To my understanding, the plugin is now internally locked to -18dBFS (RMS) if the BOOST mode is setup to 0dB. The +12dB boost would result in -3dBFS as reference level which would result in a +6dBFS signal (32bit float) as ceiling prior to clipping (while still offering +9dB of peak headroom, or better said "dynamic range").

Question:
Is the clipping like "digital" clipping (read: destroyed signal), or does analog type clipping occour?

And... a question on the modes:
I think Contemporary is the old saturation design of Tessla Pro, right? The US console should be an SSL typish sound, the British should be (well) NEVE. Tape and Tube is pretty much self explanory.

I see five additional reserved slots - what are the plans for that? Only if you know of course.

Else, love the update already (except for the VU maybe).

Now I can use TESSLA PRO as "poor man's console". Well, it was possible before, but not without drastically messing with input/output gain. Though it doesn't offer any crosstalk like most other summing devices. But heck, for this there are suitable known alternatives.

Thanks for the efforts.

Definitely looking forward to BootEQ mkIII with a reference level mode. 3dB steps are fine with me. Though I already hear people asking for "why not label it -18dBFS up to xy" or "why is there no reference level for -24dBFS or -20dBFS?", etc...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

DELETED

Compyfox wrote:Quick test and feedback:

I am actually not fond of the VU being locked at 600ms now. I understand where you try to aim at (loudness measurement, since this device can be used as exciter). But please offer a switch or multi-rotary switch for 300ms unweighted/400ms k-weighted/600ms unweighted. Personally I still use 300ms unweighted for MOST plugins, including XTC. I'm just used to the ANSI C16.5-1942/British Standard BS 6840/IEC 60268-17 standard for VU's while using such plugin on individual channels. Mastering is a different topic.
as you know, I'm more after musical tools rather than scientific ones. So my question goes back: How does it sound?

Then the addenum of the manual:
DRIVE adjusts the internal gain for the stateful saturation circuit. BOOST adjusts the level of solid 2nd and 3rd order harmonics as well as the internal headroom. The 0dB setting is calibrated to have a headroom at around +9dBFS upfront clipping occurs. The device can be driven even hotter in 3dB steps down to a headrom at around -3dBFS.
This confuses me a bit. Either the +9dBFS is a type and must mean -9dBFS digital peak, or the control of the plugin is actually turned around.
no that should be correct - if the Boost switch shows 0dB the device clips at +9dBFS. Boosting the internal gain more decreases the headroom.
To my understanding, the plugin is now internally locked to -18dBFS (RMS) if the BOOST mode is setup to 0dB. The +12dB boost would result in -3dBFS as reference level which would result in a +6dBFS signal (32bit float) as ceiling prior to clipping (while still offering +9dB of peak headroom, or better said "dynamic range").

Question:
Is the clipping like "digital" clipping (read: destroyed signal), or does analog type clipping occour?
the clipping is analog style / non-linear and creates 2nd and 3rd order harmonics.

And... a question on the modes:
I think Contemporary is the old saturation design of Tessla Pro, right? The US console should be an SSL typish sound, the British should be (well) NEVE. Tape and Tube is pretty much self explanory.

I see five additional reserved slots - what are the plans for that? Only if you know of course.
'Contemporary' is the most sophisticated and CPU wise expensive one. Its what I think relates the most to modern high end analog gear and is therefore rather subtle cauz distortion is rather low compared to the other models. But I will give a deeper explanation on all the models soon, I just did not had the time upfront the release ...

Else, love the update already (except for the VU maybe).

Now I can use TESSLA PRO as "poor man's console". Well, it was possible before, but not without drastically messing with input/output gain. Though it doesn't offer any crosstalk like most other summing devices. But heck, for this there are suitable known alternatives.
Crosstalk is also modelled with the mkII version, I just did not advertised it. Its included in all my stateful stuff ...

Thanks for the efforts.

Definitely looking forward to BootEQ mkIII with a reference level mode. 3dB steps are fine with me. Though I already hear people asking for "why not label it -18dBFS up to xy" or "why is there no reference level for -24dBFS or -20dBFS?", etc...
follow me on Image

Hi
Thank you for this MkII version !

One question, though : What is the overlap with Ferric, with these new modes ?
Compyfox wrote:I kind of expected "mark" versions from all plugins. I really, really hope to see BootEQ getting a similar overhaul with gain staging mechanisms.
One day, i'd be happy if we had a EpicVerb MkII (without the annoying "always 100% wet presets") ;)
But Tessla & ThrillseekerXTC are enough for now :D

The priginal tesslapro never had much mentioning although its an excellent tool. I used it for mastering, clean guitars...

New version sounds awesome :) loved what you did with the console's!!!

Its only been few minutes since trying but I'm not sure if I can get it to work like the old one?

The pdf manual I downloaded writes tesslapromkII name but has first tessla manual :)

sinkmusic wrote:Hi
Thank you for this MkII version !

One question, though : What is the overlap with Ferric, with these new modes ?
Ferric is a full range tape compressor whereas TesslaPro rather focuses on color (frequency dependent harmonic distortion) utilizing stateful saturation.
follow me on Image

Cooker wrote: Its only been few minutes since trying but I'm not sure if I can get it to work like the old one?

The pdf manual I downloaded writes tesslapromkII name but has first tessla manual :)
there is a manual addendum as a text file ...
follow me on Image

Is there problem with VU?

Everything is ok for me.Sounds great!But VU's response really slow i guess..

There is something about this "stateful saturation" :love:
+I like how different each type sounds.

I personally like when the input signal gets boosted about +12db since it sounds so good (interesting how the drive knob up diminishes aliasing when input is very hot @44.1k) + the type differences become more obvious.

anyway... Thanks a lot for another cool plug! :)

PS. .. not sure if it's a bug, but the meter seems very sluggish indeed.

Seems like a few people would like that adjustable VU ;P

Not in the best environment for testing but I messed around with it for a little bit by using phase-flipped tracks and then on a couple live performances that sound a little sharp and thin to my ears. Definitely had a good effect on things. I then decided to try it out on a little demo I did awhile back with piano and strings... to realize that I deleted my original project files so I couldn't go back and apply it to the separate tracks... which made me sourpuss something fierce :cry:

I believe I'll make good use of this very soon. Nice work as always.

I think I'll just paste the post I made in the other forum, as I'm tired to write a new one ;).

Let's be clear, this thing is a real piece of art.

I mean, the algos are so smooth, in a way that sounds "real" if that makes sense. Like part of the original sounds and not something put in top of it.

The sounds of the 5 different models is very different, so it can fit all materials IMHO.

I see there are slots for 5 more models, which is even better :D ! But on the downside I'm not fan of that menu and how it looks on the GUI when selected.

Some kind of 5 buttons for each algo would have looked better IMHO, like Decapitator.

Also, why dropping the red needle from the first version ?

Anyway, it's a KILLER plugin ! Can't wait for the mkIII with 5 more models !

PS : About that use mentioned for mastering, I think it's a perfect candidate.

A revamp of Boot EQ with all of the new VOS advances sounds great!

Any ETA? (sorry if this has been asked, I haven't gone through this whole thread yet).
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Just tried Tessla Pro MKII and all I'm gonna say is if you have a decent set of ears and can do a basic balanced mix, having plugins like this one will make you feel like you are cheating. Bootsy, I'm floored by this one my man. Just floored! :shock: I've worked and studied hard over the past few years to get ITB mixes that sound alive, wide, deep and warm, using several plugins (lots of yours) including some of latest console and tape plugins that have been recently released and I've been very pleased with the results. But Tessla Pro II is just unbelievable. This one has me scratching my head wondering if I have wasted my money. Another classic my fried. Wow!

Thank you!
:D

Chrisma wrote:Just tried Tessla Pro MKII and all I'm gonna say is if you have a decent set of ears and can do a basic balanced mix, having plugins like this one will make you feel like you are cheating. Bootsy, I'm floored by this one my man. Just floored! :shock: I've worked and studied hard over the past few years to get ITB mixes that sound alive, wide, deep and warm, using several plugins (lots of yours) including some of latest console and tape plugins that have been recently released and I've been very pleased with the results. But Tessla Pro II is just unbelievable. This one has me scratching my head wondering if I have wasted my money. Another classic my fried. Wow!

Thank you!
:D
Nice statement ! Agreed.

I'd love to see him join u-he, as they are not too far from him. Together with Sascha and the team, they could do wonderful plugins, not to mention x86 and x64 on Windows and Mac !

Good to dream :oops:...

Thanks for yet another great plugin! :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Return to “Effects”