best eq?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah Xoc Kin wrote:
realmarco wrote:is it true that all Plugin EQs all sound the same ?

i mean obviously not an eq that u boost the midrange and it lowers a little low-midrange at the same time(like a pull-tech EQ).

Would be cool for a Dev to tell me directly
http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=361

thanks for the link :)

Did you get hit by a truck or something?

lol no, i just lost interest in plugin for quite a long while :(

recently I've been learning how to mix "in the box" instead of renting the Hardware. to me analog EQs of various makes and models sound very different from one to the next.

i wasnt sure but average not-trying-to-be-an-emulation digital EQs sounded samey.
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

DMG Audio Equick is my favourite the sound the function and the GUI size selection including near full screen.

I think the bigger one Equality comes with coloured mods.

realmarco wrote:

You're welcome. Be sure to read Dave Gamble's comment in that same page.
esoundz name: Helio

Ah Xoc Kin wrote:
realmarco wrote:

Hi,

That's me. I also built EQuick, EQuality, and way back when, did the 517Mk2 at Sonalksis. I've been designing EQs for a long time. I even designed the EQ in the Liquid Channel.

The "do all EQs sound the same" question is a good one, because the less you care about the answer, the more the answer is "YEP", and the more you care, the more the answer is "NO".

I care a lot about EQ.

It is definitely true that the range of spectral responses that can be derived from second-order digital stages (what shapes a digital EQ can make... without spending 'more than the usual' amount of CPU) is a fixed thing. But even then, how the EQ maps your controls into an EQ curve is immensely variable. Most digital EQs in history did this very badly. The ones mentioned in this thread are, by and large, the ones that got it more right than most. I think that article references the Orfanidis stuff, which (for bells) means that your top-end doesn't get completely ruined. The Orfanidis paper doesn't do a great job, and there are improvements which are in common usage that do better. I've been staring at this problem for more than a decade and I have techniques that go a long long way above and beyond whatever else is out there (as you can see by looking at response comparisons between EQuick/EQuality and anything else).

Here we're really talking about IIR-based EQs - the low CPU option. As soon as you are happy to spend the CPU on an FFT, there's just no reason why the response should be wacky at the top-end. The low-cpu case is the hard task.

So, there's that. What about if we're talking in a world where everyone gets the EQ mappings right?

Well, there's still interaction between the controls. This is the thing that you can largely ignore, to make the claim that all EQs /can/ sound the same. Trouble is, you can only ignore it if the EQs you're using have massive ranges (enough to copy whatever shape you needed). And actually, life is a lot faster with an EQ with good interactivity.

Mojo... what's that then... It's a combination of interaction between the band controls (for instance, there's a classic EQ whose shelf increases in resonance as you ramp up the gain), and interaction between bands (Pultec).

Actually, I've given up on thinking of the Pultec low shelf as two bands, because their interaction is SO extreme. They're sorta working in parallel, but not quite. It's one band with four controls. Can you model it with a single second-order low-shelf in EQuality? Yes, naturally, but it's much more fun poking at the knobs, not knowing what it's doing (and, frankly, it's so weird that it's very hard to predict).

There's Mojo from distortion, but I've STILL not found a schematic where the distortion is integral to the EQ section (though for synth filters, it's the norm), so following your EQ with a saturation stage is no loss of generality.

Anyway, I'm on thread. Any questions I can answer?

Dave.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

DaveGamble wrote:
Anyway, I'm on thread. Any questions I can answer?

Dave.
Yeah....how's that new eq coming? Will it have dynamic eq options as well?....Will it be as diverse as Compassion is as a dynamic processor?

On a sidenote : Dave, using Compassion as a mastering limiter sounds godd$%n amazing (The 'big limit' preset)!!!!! I LOVE YOUR STUFF!!!!!!! Puts all other limiters to shame, even that very well-loved Dutch limiter.....IMVHO of course.

Guys, ask Dave some more questions before he disappears into the mist again. I can't decide if I want to go with global warming, brane cosmology, or this Mayan end-of-the-world thing.

Signed, P-Brane
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:...or this Mayan end-of-the-world thing.
Signed, P-Brane
Don't worry - the world will not end until I have my perfect mastering chain, will take a few more ticks... :hihi:

Here is a question from someone learning mixing etc.
I was shopping for EQ and of course the Equick and Equality always come up from forums users among other great EQs
My question is: for tracks work is Equick a better choice than Equality? Is Equality geared mostly for Mastering?
:help:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

DaveGamble wrote:
Ah Xoc Kin wrote:
realmarco wrote:

Hi,

That's me. I also built EQuick, EQuality, and way back when, did the 517Mk2 at Sonalksis. I've been designing EQs for a long time. I even designed the EQ in the Liquid Channel.

The "do all EQs sound the same" question is a good one, because the less you care about the answer, the more the answer is "YEP", and the more you care, the more the answer is "NO".

I care a lot about EQ.

Dave.
dunno if this has been already done but how about each bands has its own slight processing.

big eq boosting you could futz with the phase, like the more u dial the more slightly out of of the inputs phase for only certain bands

basically having each band have processing but subtly. Like boosting the low mid engages a subtle limiter

and a Hi-shelf band having some Aphex-like aural exciting

that would really make a difference in an EQ plugin trying to stand out from other EQs

ReaEQ -- very plain simple uncolored digital EQ, non-saturating, but it does the resonant low/high-pass Pultec kinda thing. ParisEQ for some grunge. Audiocation EQ for color and general use. Pultec clone (Leftover Lasagne's and Ignite's are my current faves) for Pultec color. ColorEQ and SplineEQ for neat color. Sonalksis EQ is superb, but it's only on other peoples' rigs, alas. Oh, and Electri-Q does some neat things as well. I tend to use ReaEQ the most, 'cause my source materials tend to be pretty cruddy -- err, grungy. Yeah, that's it.

Or just use some of Bootsy's new stuff for precision, color, and saturation. The best software is knowledge and practice, but damn, his stuff is like a talent injection. :hihi:
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Have you tried THIS EQ?

Jafo wrote:ReaEQ -- very plain simple uncolored digital EQ, non-saturating, but it does the resonant low/high-pass Pultec kinda thing. ParisEQ for some grunge. Audiocation EQ for color and general use. Pultec clone (Leftover Lasagne's and Ignite's are my current faves) for Pultec color. ColorEQ and SplineEQ for neat color. Sonalksis EQ is superb, but it's only on other peoples' rigs, alas. Oh, and Electri-Q does some neat things as well. I tend to use ReaEQ the most, 'cause my source materials tend to be pretty cruddy -- err, grungy. Yeah, that's it.

Or just use some of Bootsy's new stuff for precision, color, and saturation. The best software is knowledge and practice, but damn, his stuff is like a talent injection. :hihi:

umm you should read this http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=361

Dave gamble is in that as well

k3ith wrote:Have you tried THIS EQ?
...what ?

For my money, the best plugin eq I've used so far is Stillwell's Vibe-EQ (broad scullpting).
It changed my mixes. Before then was using stuff like booteq, soneq etc. All gone. All replaced. One eq, great sound. Ozone or alloy for more transparent stuff-
M@

I just bought the Maag Eq4 plug in after testing for about an hour and couldn't achieve the same result with any other plug in .
Was that just my mind trying to justify this purchase ?

:hihi:

Return to “Effects”