VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aloysius wrote:
bmanic wrote:
Yeah, I have some serious serious GAS!
''It's better to regret something you've done, than something you didn't do.''

Reference: Chapter 1 and Verse 5 of the GAS manual. :)
Well, I managed to stay clean for more than 1.5 years, but it seems it just hit back on me with full impact.

Though I never thought to do it, I've ordered an iLok 2 yesterday. And now I'm reading through all those Lex threads the whole day. :D

Cheers,
LiteOn

OK - picked up the SPL TwinTube on sale - had to have it.

Had been working on a reverb side drenched remaster with a male center vocal, put it in between 2 MSED's added a TwinTube to the MID - hit a preset, tweaked the output to balance and voila!

I realize that something else could work like eq or whatever but this was too fast and addead beauty (according to me!). Also tried it with SPL Vitalizer (new favorite bass compressor) but burned my cochlea to a crisp, have to wait for a few hours now... :-o

The SPL Tube does eat a little cpu though - almost 10% on my ancient I3...

bmanic wrote:.. and there goes the rest of my xmas money. Sorry kids, daddy has spent it all on plugins this year! :lol:

Here's my scoop for november/december:

Tone2 ElectraX (always wanted it, now bought it)
Was there a Tone2 sale that I missed? I know it's been "discounted" for a while now, but 149 is about 100 too much for that synth (for me).

Crap...possible bug with SPL TwinTube v1.5.1 in Reaper 4.31 (PC Win 7 32bit).
The first instance of SPL TwinTube works fine in a track FX insert and uses approx 7% cpu (between 2 MSED instances) the 2nd instance begins eating cpu upto 20% the I have to stop Reaper because it starts crackling.

Anyone else seeing this?

kylen wrote:Crap...possible bug with SPL TwinTube v1.5.1 in Reaper 4.31 (PC Win 7 32bit).
The first instance of SPL TwinTube works fine in a track FX insert and uses approx 7% cpu (between 2 MSED instances) the 2nd instance begins eating cpu upto 20% the I have to stop Reaper because it starts crackling.

Anyone else seeing this?
Same setup, no problems with 10+ instances.

Liero wrote:
bmanic wrote:.. and there goes the rest of my xmas money. Sorry kids, daddy has spent it all on plugins this year! :lol:

Here's my scoop for november/december:

Tone2 ElectraX (always wanted it, now bought it)
Was there a Tone2 sale that I missed? I know it's been "discounted" for a while now, but 149 is about 100 too much for that synth (for me).
It wasn't discounted. I paid the full current price. Very much worth it in my opinion. It's a synth with a very peculiar "plastic" sound that none of my other VSTi's quite have. I've tried the demo on so many occasions and found it always had a sound or two that fit within whatever mix I was working on so now I decided to get it.

It's unfortunately a bit on the limited side, even with all it's features. I'd like to have at least 5 more modulation matrix slots and there are stupid things like LFO's always retriggering no matter what.. no way to set them in a "free" mode. This is typical Tone2 behavior for a synth though so all of this was expected upon purchase. They obviously aren't that much into the nitty gritty details of sound designs (as shown by all the trance/dance oriented presets) but I'm still very pleased with the purchase.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Liero wrote: Same setup, no problems with 10+ instances.
Beauty - thanks!

I'm quite interested in bx-boom.
Has it come up on the advent calendar yet?
Anyone using it?

can you guys explain how you are using MSED and other FX?

I only know how to put an effect on the mid or side only if I use two different tracks, but not sandwiched between two MSED's

First insert Voxengo MSED. Then set it's mode to 'encode'. Then insert your plugin of choice. Finally insert another instance of MSED and set it's mode to 'decode'.

Boom. The plugin in the middle (in the "sandwich") gets a mid/side signal fed into it.

You can do cool tricks like this: In the first instance, drop the mid levels -12dB while boosting the Side volume +12dB. Now do the exact opposite in the last MSED instance.

What you've now done is feed your sandwiched plugin with much louder side signal than mid signal. This forces for instance SPL TwinTube to distort the sides more than the middle (provided that you are feeding the whole chain with a stereo signal to begin with!). In the last MSED instance you put it all back together as it was before you even hit the plugin chain. You will end up with added harmonic distortion on the side compared to the middle, creating a nice big stereo enhancement effect. This happens because you kind of "detach" the mid signal from the side which now has different frequency balance compared to the mid.

You can do this same trick with a lot of other program dependent plugins that treat left and right channels separately. You can turn any of your compressors/limiters ,that are stereo-unlinked, into mid/side compressors.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Resonator63 wrote:I'm quite interested in bx-boom.
Anyone using it?
yes
no
yes

hibidy wrote:
Resonator63 wrote:I'm quite interested in bx-boom.
Anyone using it?
yes
no
yes
I'll take that as a yes then :hihi:

My problem with it is that what it introduces won't necessarily mix well. On it's own it's a tad of wow-ish factor but I can eq that in. Unless it goes cheap in the sale, I don't believe it's indispensable. I dunno, still have 10 days to demo it.

hibidy wrote:My problem with it is that what it introduces won't necessarily mix well. On it's own it's a tad of wow-ish factor but I can eq that in. Unless it goes cheap in the sale, I don't believe it's indispensable. I dunno, still have 10 days to demo it.
Cheers for the info.
I'm going to give the demo a try.

dusted william wrote:can you guys explain how you are using MSED and other FX?
Also in Reaper I can route the left signal to the left input of a 1st TwinTube instance and the right signal to the input of a 2nd TwinTube instance. This works [most of the time] to unlink any stereo-linkage, if any. Don't know if there is in this particular plugin but I've told myself it sounds better so there it is. Putting those 2 specially routed instances within MSED as bmanic describes does the m/s unlink when desired. DDMF Metaplugin will also route.

I think of this contraption the bmanic-matrix :hihi:
That's how I found out how to do it waaaay back.

Return to “Effects”