Plugin Alliance Christmas calendar

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

billcarroll wrote: How do you like the Maag compared to the DDMF 6144? Just curious.
I haven't compared the two, I don't even own the DDMF 6144, but from memory they are quite different. Might be worth checking out again though as it's quite a lot cheaper.

There is also the free EQ (I forget its name, something like P or Q and then some numbers) which is supposedly very close to the Portico EQ, as the 6144 is supposed to be. That free EQ I have used a lot, again very different from the Maag, I'd say the Maag is a serious sound sculpter, just making small changes will give you a dramatically altered sound, unlike lots of other EQ's that just boost or cut certain areas in an isolated way unless you a careful to set very wide Q's.

Am I making sense? I'd find much more use for the Maag than the free EQ, though I do like the free one for bass boosts.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

bx boom is the last one I have interest in. Stereomaker has issues (like G on one side and F# on the other :hihi: )

I see there is no update for the DSM yet :roll:

I really wanted to like the SPL DrumXChanger which is $89 on 20 Dec but having tried the demo it's not very effective. I followed the video tutorial and then tried it on a kick drum loop and no matter how I adjusted it I kept getting random flam kicks. I also tried it on a snare loop but it kept missing snare hits every now and then. Considering they were two 4 bar loops each with only one drum sound and the level of each hit was pretty consistent I don't know how the DrumXChanger could flam or miss hits. It would be quicker and more effective to just replace the original loop with another one.

Anyone had more luck with it?

Never tried it as I have Slate's Trigger which is absolutely sublime. I heard some pretty mixed reviews of the SPL replacer on Gearslutz when it was released. Many felt that it just doesn't deliver as well as some of the competition. :shrug:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I squaked again about the DSM, I think I'm stuck for life :cry:

THe SPL drum exchanger got a really bad review at CM - especially in comparison with Slate. Guess you don't expect something so "bad" from a company with so much renown.

hibidy wrote:I squaked again about the DSM, I think I'm stuck for life :cry:
Just give them some time. I'm sure they'll fix it. It's soon Christmas and many people get a week off of work.. or more.

I just used it on a commercial project. Had to bounce it as soon as I got some good results but it was worth it (used it on a pair of overheads for drums to keep the cymbals in check).

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I'm hanging TwinTube back in the closet until the TwinTube Elf takes a look. Apparantly the huge product line has taken a toll on product deployment & testing. I'm sure it will get fixed eventually.

In the mean time I'm making a MSED 'bMS' sandwich :hihi:
Using Nebula3 & CDSoundMasters tubes & tubebooster I'm betting eventually I can get the tube harmonics and saturation I like in TwinTube.
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... tcneb.html
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... erneb.html

In TwinTube plugin the smooth harmonics hype the mids & highs per the modeling of the TwinTube hardware processor (see hardware manual w/curves here):
http://spl.info/produkte/analog-element ... zinfo.html

I can't find anywhere where SPL mentions the 2 tubes used in a TwinTube module (1 for harmonics and 1 for saturation - shared cathode though, so a single dual element tube?).
To get the mid & high hyped harmonic-overtone sound a parallel instance of Nebula3 (filtered to hype mids/highs) with a 12AX7 from CDS night do the trick.

The tube saturated sound/behavior could come from another Nebula3 in series. Maybe another 12AX7, or one of these:
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... vtcpc.html

32bit, 64bit, PC, Mac folks - all kind people are welcome - where's that mad MAC guy? 8)

Twin-Wha? :P

Also, regarding the TwinTube alternative(s), SPL has a hardware device called 'Kultube' that includes tube harmonics & saturation:
http://spl.info/en/products/compressors ... short.html

per manual:
The TUBE HARMONICS control allows you to drive the tube output stage infinitely
variable to desperation: the more the control is turned in, the further
the tube gets into saturation and the more harmonics are produced.
The output level of this stage is automatically adjusted, i.e. it keeps virtually
the same level as the input signal. This allows you to to change the entire
sonic behavior of the tubes with just one control.

The Tubes and Compressor sections have been sampled seperately by Gemini Audio here:
http://www.gemini-audio.net/index.php?r ... duct_id=50

Still, SPL doesn't mention the actual tube used but I suppose it is the general harmonics/saturation nature of a tube (as opposed to transister or tape) that is important.

I realize I'm hijacking my own thread... :x

I decided against Twintube in the end. It's the second time I've demoed it but after level matching, I couldn't get it to sway me. I decided I wanted the control in Melda's multiband saturator in the end with Reviver doing the "just add a bit of second and third all over" and Airwindows' Pafnuty for the weirdness option.

Remember that DSM is/was Paul Frindle's work, and is probably less "in house" than most or all of the other products.

Boom for $35.

antithesist wrote:Remember that DSM is/was Paul Frindle's work, and is probably less "in house" than most or all of the other products.
I was kinda of wondering about that, now that DSM is part of the 'Plugin Alliance' how independent he remains? IOW what changes, if any, did Paul need to make to join the club? Haircut, shined shoes, new code library... :hihi:

Aiynzahev wrote:
billcarroll wrote: How do you like the Maag compared to the DDMF 6144? Just curious.
I haven't compared the two, I don't even own the DDMF 6144, but from memory they are quite different. Might be worth checking out again though as it's quite a lot cheaper.

There is also the free EQ (I forget its name, something like P or Q and then some numbers) which is supposedly very close to the Portico EQ, as the 6144 is supposed to be. That free EQ I have used a lot, again very different from the Maag, I'd say the Maag is a serious sound sculpter, just making small changes will give you a dramatically altered sound, unlike lots of other EQ's that just boost or cut certain areas in an isolated way unless you a careful to set very wide Q's.

Am I making sense? I'd find much more use for the Maag than the free EQ, though I do like the free one for bass boosts.
Yeah, well the Maag is worth the purchase, especially at $99 right now with the xmas voucher maageq4499xmas

Had to grab it :)

Return to “Effects”