Plugin Alliance Christmas calendar

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have several of their plug-in's, no bugs at all. :)

HcDoom wrote:I have several of their plug-in's, no bugs at all. :)
That's good! TwinTube? My Elysia Alpha comp seems solid. If you don't mind me asking what DAW and host and OS are you using, maybe I should switch... :hihi:

TwinTube works flawlessly here. Win 7 64bit, S1 Pro 2.5!

I had recently downloaded the installer which was version 1.5.1 afew days ago. I just earlier downloaded the previous version 1.4.1 and it seems to be working okay now. No cpu spikes and the on/off button works.

I uninstalled my exisitng version first and then installed the 1.4.1 version, it differs in that it suggest to put the VST and shortcuts (Windows 7 user here) into the foler "SPL" and not "Plugin Alliance"...think this was an update to all there plugins recenlty. I changed the defaults to put it to the Plugin Alliance folder as before.

I've closed my Ableton down and re-opened it and it still seems to function well.

The URL for the old downloads is http://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/legacy.html

I downloaded the spl_twintube_pa_win_1_4_1.zip file.

HcDoom wrote:TwinTube works flawlessly here. Win 7 64bit, S1 Pro 2.5!
Could I ask which version of twin tube do you have? Clicking on the SPL logo in the plugin will show this. Just want to see if there's any correlation.

cheers

Just installed version 1.4.1 of Twin Tube and man.. it works and it's CPU usage is MUCH lower than 1.5.1. This old version uses only about 3% CPU on my laptop whereas the new version uses over 10%. That's a whopping 3 times more CPU.

Not sure about the sound yet.. might be placebo. I'll do some renders and invert phase to check sound.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Great work guys - I'll try 1.4.1 too!

I tried installing Presonus Studio One Demo, got the same problem with TwinTube 1.5.1 - about 25% cpu per instance till the 4th one went over 100% in the Studio One Perf monitor and got a gawd-awful ugly sound. It also installed VST3 and VST 2.4 versions of TwinTube , I think I was using VST3 of TwinTube. Not sure which I was using in Reaper.

Anyway - gotta get some dog-food, will try 1.4.1 later - sounds like an interesting development! :tu:

Just compared 1.5.1 and 1.4.1. They ARE NOT THE SAME!!

1.5.1 sounds quite a bit better. My guess is that it's 4x oversampled or something compared to 1.4.1. I've phase cancelled them and at various identical settings (you can install both plugins side by side, just make sure you rename the .dll file of one of them before installing the other). The difference seems to be program dependent (meaning they probably tweaked the algorithm or something) and ranges around -40dBFS to -60dBFS. This is a significant difference and you can clearly hear how transients are treated differently from one another (by listening to the residue of the phase cancellation.. aka the difference).

Interesting things.. unfortunately this means going back to 1.4.1 isn't really an option, unless you happen to like the sound of that one more (I don't).

Cheers!
bManic

HcDoom wrote:TwinTube works flawlessly here. Win 7 64bit, S1 Pro 2.5!
You might want to check what version of TwinTube you are using. Version 1.4.1 was the old one and it sounds different to the new 1.5.1 version which has the CPU bug.

There's also a significant difference in CPU usage of the two. 3 times more for the new version, which might be explained by 4 times oversampling.

If I have time I'll run it through Christian budde's analyzer. That should verify if the algorithm has changed or if it's only a matter of oversampling.

Cheers!
bManic

Well, I just installed the 1.4.1, and it does work, lower CPU use and no spikes. But even a cursory listen reveals that the newer version is superior - sonically speaking. Whether this is due to oversampling, I can't say, but the distortion is a good deal harsher and fuzzier on the old one.

Have to wait for them to stamp out that bug. :(

Thanks for your quick feedbacks. I got nervous after posting something like I did, incase it messed up anyones system/projects, so your feedback is important for others to see.

It's absolutely amazing what can be done in a short period of time with all these new "next gen" plugin tools of ours.

Here's the original clip I was tweaking just for fun. One of my old test tracks, really crappy recording and mix.

Here's the exact same track after messing around with all my new plugin-alliance toys and Studio Devil VTP. This is after about 20 minutes of tweaking and having fun.

All done on my crappy laptop and completely non-flat Bose noise cancelling headphones.. so this might be horrible and completely over the top but it should illustrate a point. :hihi:

Cheers!
bManic

I agree Bmanic.

These next gen plugs are awesome!

dw

Just got a reply... they're calling it a "fresh" bug and say that they'll look into it right away.

Sounds good to me, great to get a quick answer.

ariston wrote:Just got a reply... they're calling it a "fresh" bug and say that they'll look into it right away.

Sounds good to me, great to get a quick answer.
Good to hear, the relase notes date the latest release as 31st Oct 2012, strange how this hasn't been picked up before. :?

Return to “Effects”