Plugin Alliance Christmas calendar

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote:
hibidy wrote:I squaked again about the DSM, I think I'm stuck for life :cry:
Just give them some time. I'm sure they'll fix it. It's soon Christmas and many people get a week off of work.. or more.

I just used it on a commercial project. Had to bounce it as soon as I got some good results but it was worth it (used it on a pair of overheads for drums to keep the cymbals in check).

Cheers!
bManic
I feel that dialog and bugging are the only real course of action right now because it's been a known issue for a while. I got another response today from Erik and again, if people keep applying gentle pressure, maybe we can get 'er done.

Ah, I'm gonna have to get serious about testing BOOM for the next 24 hours. I like it but again, I'm not really sure it mixes well because then that FR is pretty eaten up.

Would LOVE to get peoples feedback!

Hey Ya'll,

What are your thoughts on the SPL Passeq. How much was it when the deal came around?

kylen wrote:
antithesist wrote:Remember that DSM is/was Paul Frindle's work, and is probably less "in house" than most or all of the other products.
I was kinda of wondering about that, now that DSM is part of the 'Plugin Alliance' how independent he remains? IOW what changes, if any, did Paul need to make to join the club? Haircut, shined shoes, new code library... :hihi:
Man, I don't know. There's probably at least a secret handshake. My understanding is that Michael Massberg, who formerly had his own short-lived yet excellent Conspiracy plug-ins, is the main coder. I believe he works with Dirk, SPL, Elysia, etc. I guess Character is another one that came to the Alliance already developed, so to speak.

Regarding Boom: I think you can do the same thing with the brainworx dynamic EQ. There might be a preset and that may be where it came from. If so, I'd think that would be more adjustable, but also more expensive. This is from a vague recollection of something I read and could be totally wrong, too.

Gamma-UT wrote:I decided against Twintube in the end. It's the second time I've demoed it but after level matching, I couldn't get it to sway me. I decided I wanted the control in Melda's multiband saturator in the end with Reviver doing the "just add a bit of second and third all over" and Airwindows' Pafnuty for the weirdness option.
Melda saturator, hmmm...he's being a little mysterious with me lately, I might check it out anyway though since you like it.

Reviver is Mac only it seems: http://www.fieldingdsp.com/reviver
Pafnuty too: http://www.airwindows.com/pafnuty.html

I like plugins where the developers are willing to expose a little of the architecture and design so the customer can better understand what is happening and why and how to affect change in the best way. Nice tips, don't cost a lot of brass either! :)

antithesist wrote: Regarding Boom: I think you can do the same thing with the brainworx dynamic EQ. There might be a preset and that may be where it came from. If so, I'd think that would be more adjustable, but also more expensive. This is from a vague recollection of something I read and could be totally wrong, too.
Well, I think dynamic eq was a lot more. For 35 bucks it SEEMS like a deal, but I dunno, I have so much crap :x

hibidy wrote:
antithesist wrote: Regarding Boom: I think you can do the same thing with the brainworx dynamic EQ. There might be a preset and that may be where it came from. If so, I'd think that would be more adjustable, but also more expensive. This is from a vague recollection of something I read and could be totally wrong, too.
Well, I think dynamic eq was a lot more. For 35 bucks it SEEMS like a deal, but I dunno, I have so much crap :x
I don't know about it either. I lean towards not liking it. Probably it is good if you are mixing a track where you don't have access to the kick drum alone.

BOOM is just one preset from the Dynamic EQ.

Thanks for verifying that.

I never liked TwinTube. The best tube saturation plugin in my opinion is WaveArts Tube Saturator. It's heavy on the CPU, but it is the most accurate tube saturation plugin I've ever heard.

I don't know why this plugin is not on everyone's list. Maybe it was rather expensive in the beginning and the CPU load was an issue for some, but they slashed the price and CPU's are becoming faster and faster...

And WaveArts is doing a holiday discount too...

PascalVB wrote:I never liked TwinTube. The best tube saturation plugin in my opinion is WaveArts Tube Saturator. It's heavy on the CPU, but it is the most accurate tube saturation plugin I've ever heard.

I don't know why this plugin is not on everyone's list. Maybe it was rather expensive in the beginning and the CPU load was an issue for some, but they slashed the price and CPU's are becoming faster and faster...

And WaveArts is doing a holiday discount too...
Yes I have several of Wave Arts plugs, didn't know there was a holday sale there - nice tip. I was thinking about their plug again recently. I think you're right - if I remember correctly the Tube Saturator design leaned more toward correct behavior/good sound rather than performance in the cpus of the day. Now cpus are faster, tomorrow (now that we have a future) will be even faster of course.

http://wavearts.com/about/news/20-off-holiday-sale/ 20% off, alternative to TwinTube (that works in Reaper 32-bit Win7 - assuming). While we're waiting on the SPL/Plugin Alliance fix.

EDIT: Kudos also for a very detailed manual. I really like a developer who is proud of their work and willing to let the customer understand details: http://wavearts.com/uploads/docs/TubeSa ... Manual.pdf
:tu:

Just 2 more days left, I wonder if they will ever put Noveltech Character.

Character has been discounted already.

tomorrow door 23 = SPL De-Verb $29

sonicpowa wrote:Character has been discounted already.

tomorrow door 23 = SPL De-Verb $29
:cry: I missed, Thanks...

kylen wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:I decided against Twintube in the end. It's the second time I've demoed it but after level matching, I couldn't get it to sway me. I decided I wanted the control in Melda's multiband saturator in the end with Reviver doing the "just add a bit of second and third all over" and Airwindows' Pafnuty for the weirdness option.
Melda saturator, hmmm...he's being a little mysterious with me lately, I might check it out anyway though since you like it.

Reviver is Mac only it seems: http://www.fieldingdsp.com/reviver
Pafnuty too: http://www.airwindows.com/pafnuty.html

I like plugins where the developers are willing to expose a little of the architecture and design so the customer can better understand what is happening and why and how to affect change in the best way. Nice tips, don't cost a lot of brass either! :)
Give MLimiter a shot: it's it in the freebie bundle and is more or less the single-band version although I'm not sure if you get the envelope follower in it. Have to check later.

Instead of Pafnuty, there's Soundhack's Chebyshev -- Chris developed Panfuty to be a more subtle version of that, although Pafntuy has the extra neat future of being able to invert the processing so that you can kind of use the harmonics to home in on what sounds nasty and then invert the setting to kill of the nastiness. It's a bit like Character only less fire-and-forget. Chebyshev is part of Soundhack's free bundle.

I passed on boom. Every penny counts :hihi:

Shredspread on paper is something I'm really interested, but the stereoizer thing was pretty lame and I don't know if this is any better. I'm doing a lot of stuff with heavy guitar lately.........I COULD demo it........

It's funny, the actual "brainworx" stuff I've tried isn't as good as the brainworx modeled stuff (like maag...) imho. Oh well.

Return to “Effects”