Abbey Road/Waves REDD Console Channel Strip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

I - NEED - FUNDS! (200bucks plus WUP is steep! and THAT's the Intro price - MSRP is 349USD!)

Either that, or take my soul!
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

My initial impression is to note the differences between this and NLS (which are interesting).
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

MickGael wrote:My initial impression is to note the differences between this and NLS (which are interesting).
Right, the NLS EMI TG12345 & REDD tube are not the same consoles.

Compyfox wrote:I - NEED - FUNDS! (200bucks plus WUP is steep! and THAT's the Intro price - MSRP is 349USD!)

$170.99 at AudioDeluxe.com

Abbey Road jokers. 2 years and still no update to make their plugins validate in OS Lion. Highway robbery. NI and Waves still update their plugins of course but no more money to anything that involves those clowns. They think that the "60's" and "70's" will keep the cash flowing for them effortless.
Last edited by ZINO on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

They should finally drop the WUP plan. Then again, optional.

Still, no finances. And I hoped that they create a NLS upgrade with the REDD and the HLS. But Waves wouldn't get any funds this way. :shrug:

What are the Demo Limitations again?
You need a user account, and then 14 days?
Can I resume the demo at a later state (like - roll back of an OS) or is it like iLok days "14 days - then you're funked"?
Last edited by Compyfox on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:I - NEED - FUNDS! (200bucks plus WUP is steep! and THAT's the Intro price - MSRP is 349USD!)

A year of WUP is included in the price, isn't it?

After that, AFAIK, it's only necessary to pay the update fee if you want updates.
Sound design, audio editing, and instrument programming for UVI Workstation and Falcon/MachFive
http://www.iainmorland.net

Lenticular wrote:
MickGael wrote:My initial impression is to note the differences between this and NLS (which are interesting).
Right, the NLS EMI TG12345 & REDD tube are not the same consoles.
Yes, I'm aware of that. :) What I meant is that this plugin (to my ears) is less obviously colored than the NLS emulations (which I find quite colored - albeit very nice colors) and the drive is a bit more flexible.

Compyfox wrote:Still, no finances. And I hoped that they create a NLS upgrade with the REDD and the HLS.
That would be wonderful. And while they are at it, they can change the fact that NLS is listed under "Distortion" in Cubase.

"It dreamed itself along"

Actually, I have to give them the finger. 7 days demo, branded to the HDD or an USB stick makes it impossible to test for me currently. Especially if that rules out testing at a later state. I understand the CP issues, but I hate being on a timer.

Another thing that'S bothering me: this seems to be for "stereo channels" only. But the REDD Console was a 8 track console with custom outputs (that were routed to a 4 track) and not a free-panner.

This is definitely a bit of a turnoff - and this was the very reason why I bugged other developers to maybe get a hold of the console to model it rather than creating summing plugins.

Also, what's the reference level? There is (as usual) no manual except for the download pack, and the Waves page is all advertising. There goes my initual joy indeed.

Unless I misunderstand the concept of this plugin (I think, it's just a plain channel strip like HLS, no CS/Summing device combo like NLS/VCC/STRIPbus). And for this, a 2 band passive EQ with some "saturation" is just overpriced.

I think I'll stick with the ANTEC EQ by Nomad Factory, the ANTEC Preamp by SoundToys and maybe one of the many Pultec Clones. Then I sit back and remember who actually designed the REDD: the designers of the ANTEC, PULTEC and some Siemens engineers.

Take my soul or give them the finger.
You moods certainly run the gamut!

Don't get me wrong - I wait for years now that someone is porting more rare consoles compared to the usual suspects like SSL E and G, NEVE 8xxx series, Trident and API 2xx.

But looking at what you actually get is a bit shocking. Again, the REDD console is not only famous for it's sound, or it's limitation (2 band passive EQ, routing, etc). But I don't want a pure modern console approach if there is a clone, I want the console "cloned" as such. Including routing.

Granted, I can still go for the 4 sub-groups of the REDD myself in Cubase and limit myself to whatever channels. But each channel was MONO (or by modern standards "multi-mono", not combined Stereo, M/S and what else is available.

I don't understand why this was overlooked. Unless the CS plugin can of course be used on a MONO channel (which I hope), but then the GUI is a waste of space.

The other Waves Channel Strip Designs (API, SSL, HELIOS, Neve... er V-Series) are clearly better laid out for that purpose. I still admire the efforts however. But why is it so difficult to do it right in the first place?

On top of that... where are the "Brilliance" modules? I know they're still sold through Abbey Road Plugins. But currently this looks like another half though through sell out by Abbey Road to me.

Mono versions of both plugins are included
Sound design, audio editing, and instrument programming for UVI Workstation and Falcon/MachFive
http://www.iainmorland.net

Return to “Effects”