Console emulation plugins = necessary?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good question.

I for myself can say, that I only use them while in the mixing stage (post pro). Sometimes even while recording (loved the AVALON preamp in Line6's GearBox), rarely Mastering (only the VoS BootEQmkII so far).

But mostly, post-pro only.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

interesting discussion...

For sure they are not "necessary" for a great record or mix. I have been using Statson for a while and just started experimenting with the VCC and VTM. While I have nothing really against the Statson, I have found that the VCC and VTM are surprisingly impressive, simple to use and really nice when used subtly. I have started to use that over the Statson, which you can overdo very easily. Of course you can overdo any of it pretty easily and like with most things, gentle moderation goes a long way.

I also have been doing at at the end stage of mixing, mostly because I started using them on projects that were pretty far along and def don't need to bother with that during writing/production IMO.

I do hear the iLok gripe, that is perhaps the only real downfall so far for VCC and VTM. Dongles need to go away, was cute for a minute, but c'mon.

Is it so difficult to write/say SATSON?
In every thread about it there's always someone calling it Statson, Satsun, Sonsat, etc :)
Funny...

I find the console emus (Nebula/AlexB) great in expanding the dynamic range, adding 'space'/depth and balancing the frequencies in a way that sounds great. Some console emus sounds warm where others sounds more clean, and so each material needs to be met with the right type of console emu.

My experience with the Harrison Mixbus demo was that is a great console emu out of the box, and it is absolutely something I would invest into in the future. This sound is of the warm type.

I seldom drives the console's to saturation and instead use compressor's or tube emulation's for that.

That said, a great mix is the result of a great mix engineer's mastering of his tools, and his tools do not need to include a console emu.

scalawag wrote:Is it so difficult to write/say SATSON?
In every thread about it there's always someone calling it Statson, Satsun, Sonsat, etc :)
Funny...
ha, that is funny. And not it is not difficult, sorry. I obviously meant SATSON and that is one of those names that should be a psychological test like how many F's are below....

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.....

It's also like Logic's EXS24, which I for years couldn't stop saying ESX24, and I still get it wrong...

sorry, now I am too far off topic...but thanks for the correction in any case.

BOTTOM LINE...I like analog emulation plugs and VTM and VCC I am currently pretty into.

I really don't know the voodoo behind these things but as an example, it's built into sonar. Too bad about sonar not working and not being able to use it because in fact, it's makes a noticeable difference (placebo/haters be damned!)

I have the satson thingy but admit I got lost in all the cross-all stuff......It's like EEEEEK!

Return to “Effects”