T-RackS Custom Shop Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

K-Slash wrote:
Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:
kylen wrote:Brian - what are the changes/updates on the Black & White?
The much requested complete input/output transformer stages.
The difference is subtle, but also ultra-accurate to the full operation of both units.

I believe it is safe to say that we have reclaimed the mantle of the absolute MOST faithful model of these units. 8)
Subtle, you're kidding right ?

For the 2A yes, maybe. But for a 76, disengage the compression and crank the input. If you hear no obvious distortion, something's wrong with the modeling.

Wicked on Drums, at least with the latest UAD versions.

Can't wait to try that with yours !
Actually that's somewhat opposite of reality. Non-compression distortion on a real 1176 is more subtle, but there, at least when we're talking about these two units compared to one another. LA2A is more pronounced in this fashion. If you have a chance to use the real units, you can measure them (like we have done, of course - and from experience by many members of our talented staff in real-world use) and see this. Or, it seems I notice you say you can't wait to try with ours, so you can just try ours. T-RackS Custom Shop should now have a preset "Transformer Color" where you can audition this behavior.

What's cool:
- CSR 64bit, big thanks IK!
- compared to installing + authorizing CSR, Black, White and TRacks Deluxe separately, the CS approach is much easier for me
- updated Black & White, I'm curious how much they've been improved

What's not cool:
- it has been mentioned here before, but man the channel strip looks really ugly (in my opinion). Maybe let Quinto (SKnote) design the GUI next time :hihi:
- trying to use the software on a different Windows account than the one used for installing is still a hassle and requires messing with the registry and copying files between profiles. IK isn't the only vendor who doesn't get this right, but it's still bugging me. Just put the registry stuff under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (not HKEY_CURRENT_USER) and make the factory available in ProgramData, the public user account, a custom directory or in Programs.
- reselling gear is now impossible if I understood correctly
- lack of a bundle for the 5 new items or at least the Quad series

VitaminD wrote:Does this make the Classic EQ license I was trying to sell worthless now? It looks like you are giving it away ??
bump.

vaisnava wrote:Brian/IK,

What about all of our older projects and songs that use the original T-Racks versions, without the Custom Shop. Will they still open without a problem? Or does that mean we will need a double installation?

My understanding is the CS is a VST in itself, and then you load what you own or need inside of that. Instead of simply loading the EQ, Comp, etc. by itself.
It is a new version and it will open T-RackS 3 presets just fine... However, in order to retain the stability of your current/older DAW projects it is a separate plugin so you can either leave it as-is or migrate to the new ones at your pace and consideration.

Teksonik wrote:
braj wrote:I dunno, the upgrade went very smoothly for me, I love the custom shop idea personally and now just have to figure out how to spend my 301 credits I've been saving up. I'm looking at the quad-image and quad-comp.
I thought all the Quad plugins were included in the upgrade ? (from TR3 Deluxe to TR3 CS Grand)
I just have Standard.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
K-Slash wrote:
Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:
kylen wrote:Brian - what are the changes/updates on the Black & White?
The much requested complete input/output transformer stages.
The difference is subtle, but also ultra-accurate to the full operation of both units.

I believe it is safe to say that we have reclaimed the mantle of the absolute MOST faithful model of these units. 8)
Subtle, you're kidding right ?

For the 2A yes, maybe. But for a 76, disengage the compression and crank the input. If you hear no obvious distortion, something's wrong with the modeling.

Wicked on Drums, at least with the latest UAD versions.

Can't wait to try that with yours !
Actually that's somewhat opposite of reality. Non-compression distortion on a real 1176 is more subtle, but there, at least when we're talking about these two units compared to one another. LA2A is more pronounced in this fashion. If you have a chance to use the real units, you can measure them (like we have done, of course - and from experience by many members of our talented staff in real-world use) and see this. Or, it seems I notice you say you can't wait to try with ours, so you can just try ours. T-RackS Custom Shop should now have a preset "Transformer Color" where you can audition this behavior.
Peter, no doubt about the ears and modeling skills of the IK team. I won't argue with that ;).

I meant, in real life, it's common use to drive a 1176, but with a 2A you don't use it for getting "obvious saturation".

But if you get it on the level of the UAD version, which I'll now as soon as I install these, you'll save me LOT of euros and I thank you for that :D.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
vaisnava wrote:Brian/IK,

What about all of our older projects and songs that use the original T-Racks versions, without the Custom Shop. Will they still open without a problem? Or does that mean we will need a double installation?

My understanding is the CS is a VST in itself, and then you load what you own or need inside of that. Instead of simply loading the EQ, Comp, etc. by itself.
It is a new version and it will open T-RackS 3 presets just fine... However, in order to retain the stability of your current/older DAW projects it is a separate plugin so you can either leave it as-is or migrate to the new ones at your pace and consideration.
Wow IK, thanks for making things a mess. Although you have twisted my arm into accepting this CS nonsense at some point... simply because I want to use my plugins in the future, you have really screwed things up here. IMO, Upgrades should be seamless and transparent, not a way to "change" your flow while cluttering your work environment. They should also not require you to have multiple installs where your old projects can/will be affected.

-1 for T-Racks CS.

Now, now, now... Peter.
Could we shift down one gear please and drop all the marketing?

The issues some of us adressed are indeed large ones, and also hard to swallow. With the introduction of the Custom Shop for T-Racks and CSR, you pretty much made it impossible for us users to go the route we want. At least an easier route.

Not only need we do install a shell system, which in turn is actually an interesting concept since you don't need the license manager anymore. At least in theory (you still need a serial activation - why not build that one in?!).

But, with the GearCredits system, you're pretty much funked. First you have to buy gear, then hope that you can use it up eventually to buy upgrades. Why go this route? History showed that it's not working for anything. Prime example is indeed Microsoft, especially with their XBLA system.

Granted, we can still get one gear "separately", but the last sale showed that even the bundle prices are different compared to regular shop, and Custom Shop. So there has to be done something about it.

Then, it's great that everything can be handled through one system now. But personally I don't like it. We need to use license managers for all kinds of things now. NI for example has their Service Center, but you can buy stuff individually at least - for real money. Line6 is still on their "Gear Monkey" system, Waves asks for a Shell Installation and online access to the cloud, so does the Plugin Alliance and more and more developers as well.

Where does this lead to? Do we have to be constantly online?

Then there's the thing that even after the introduction of the CS system, there are tons of bugs. Users can't install their bought licenses (they don't show up), CSR 64 bit is "bound to" T-Racks, yet there is no upgrade option and you even warned users not to install it.

Then to me as engineer that has tons of projects with the "singles", this is all handled through a shell now. And Waves users know how crap that can be! (stuff not showing, you can forget the sorting, etc).

I have a feeling that everything will be handled through micro-sales systems from now on. I can't even use my JamPoints on deals up until this day. So I'm with BERFAB on this, fearing that every future release will be through "Custom Shop" with the "GearCredit" system (that's illogical in terms of prices) from now on.

At least one good thing came out of it:
For the first time in years, you can upgrade from current bundles to full bundles. But the rest is all through the Custom Shop.

K-Slash wrote:Last but not least, all I'm dreaming of, is a faithful vari-mu tube compressor like the Manley, and a parallel tube mastering EQ ;).
I think the next closest thing to the comp for the next weeks will be Slate Digital.

But yes, we can dream. And yes, the GUI of the British EQ is a joke and wouldn't even win at the Developer Challenge. Oh wait, it would - since it's called "british EQ".
Last edited by Compyfox on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Now it's just too bad for us that we can't drive the IK 670.

Because I have read some cool stuff about the sounds you can get by driving a 670 harder than usual, especially on bass.

Maybe later 8).

It would be very welcomed if we could sell gear from the store, if at the very least to trade in for 'store credit' to swap out gear. And if everything is NFR then please adjust prices because being able to resale makes taking a risk buying gear easier, even if you don't expect to get full price back it at least helps.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:@BERFAB - You can buy T-RackS in three different flavors (and the eligible upgrades) without going into Custom Shop right from our online store. Links are even in the news posted as the first post of this thread: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=1842
While I understand you're probably fatigued from dealing with a barrage of negative criticism right now, I sense that you also put my post in that category, which was not, at all, my intent. I was only commenting on(and, on some points, praising) the new system. I do find some parts not to my liking, but like most people here, I am simply trying to understand how these new protocols affect my personal situation.

That said, and with all due respect, I have now re-read your initial post several times, and still don't see how the average reader would have an understanding that T-Racks could now be purchased OUTSIDE of the CS system. In fact, your chart regarding the launch specials now re-brands the current Deluxe and Standard bundles as "CS" bundles, implying that these will now ONLY exist as CS branded products. Yes, it appears you can BUY the product outside of CS, but it appears to only exist as CS once you have it (requiring, for example, the use of CS if you want to upgrade your initial purchase in the future).

While I'm at it, perhaps you can tell me which upgrade I qualify for. I own all the T-Racks 3 gear, plus CSR, but NOT Black or White. These were all not purchased as a bundle, but acquired as singles which now add up to the bundle (complete with shell).

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

bmanic wrote:Why is it that IK multimedia seems more like Walmart now than ever before? Well I'll try the "updated" 1176 and LA2A and see what's changed but like I said when Amplitude shop thingy was released.. this is it for me. Not purchasing more stuff from IK. I'm actually quite glad to get rid of the plugins. The only one I'll surely be missing is CSR but I now have proper replacements and hardly ever use it any more.

It was fun while it lasted. Just don't like ya any more. Nothing personal. :)
You're being a bit harsh.

Fact is, you just use the T-RackS CS to purchase and install the gear.

After that it's like all the other plugins, no need to deal with the annoying T-RackS shell for using them as soon as they're installed.

VitaminD wrote:
VitaminD wrote:Does this make the Classic EQ license I was trying to sell worthless now? It looks like you are giving it away ??
bump.
The Classic EQ is in T-RackS CS Free but if you purchased as a Single would be a legitimate upgrade path per the link ini the first post.

BERFAB wrote: While I'm at it, perhaps you can tell me which upgrade I qualify for. I own all the T-Racks 3 gear, plus CSR, but NOT Black or White. These were all not purchased as a bundle, but acquired as singles which now add up to the bundle (complete with shell).

Cheers
-B
If you purchased Singles, you would qualify for the Singles upgrade. That's on the surface and of course because even three upgrade SKUs are too many in the opinion of most people (both buyers and vendors), I think.

I can get you in contact with someone or you can use the Contact form on our site in order to see what may apply in your particular case. That is always the best option when you've got a trajectory that doesn't exactly fit the offered upgrade paths .

Edit - and I didn't mean it to sound like I thought your post was negative. I just wanted to answer your questions and I do see that if one doesn't click through to the news piece and read all the way through they may not even process that the bundles are available via upgrade and/or outside of the Custom Shop so that's definitely good input and I thank you for it. Your further comments about the ongoing Custom Shop usage were also very helpful in your follow-up post and I do not see that as negative either.

who would i contact to see what upgrade i qualify for I own all the T-Racks 3 gear, plus CSR and the black and white to. i just cant make heads or tails for which upgrade i would qualify for ,if i would have to do it individually that would be a real pain. :cry: :?

Return to “Effects”