This new SSL channel strip from IK Multimedia looks great

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Yes, we are for sure changing it :) I meant should I post an early peek at the new GUI. Seems ready now, I'm told.

Nah...I prefer surprises!

AudioGuy720 wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Yes, we are for sure changing it :) I meant should I post an early peek at the new GUI. Seems ready now, I'm told.
Nah...I prefer surprises!
I hate surprises, and I hate waiting even more, so... bring it on. The sooner the better.
Fernando (FMR)

If it looks anything like this style you'll have a winner....... :hihi:

Now that is a freakin GUI...........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:If it looks anything like this style you'll have a winner....... :hihi:

Totally :love:
Fernando (FMR)

Teksonik wrote:If it looks anything like this style you'll have a winner....... :hihi:

bad gui design...about 33% wasted, unusable space at the expense of too-small knobs and vu's

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

bad gui design...about 33% wasted, unusable space at the expense of too-small knobs and vu's
Don't worry. Since the British Channel doesn't have reels and tape heads, we are in no danger :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

Have you used it? We haven't heard complaints...

forget about it
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was just asking a fair question and stating a fact, it wasn't defensive at all. So the knobs look too small, but my question was simply whether you were assessing the visual or the actual use of said knobs to come to that conclusion - and you answered my question. Defensively. But I won't tell you how to post/act. ;)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I was just asking a fair question and stating a fact
and in doing so there seemed to be the implication that one would need to have used it to have an opinion...and that because no one had complained that my opinion wasn't valid

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:So the knobs look too small, but my question was simply whether you were assessing the visual or the actual use of said knobs to come to that conclusion - and you answered my question. Defensively. But I won't tell you how to post/act. ;)
it's not about the knobs looking too small....i made a general comment about gui design which doesn't just apply to this plugin, nor is it something i would level at you as a company specifically

the point is the decision was made to sacrifice a 3rd of the space for unusable graphic eye-candy....it looks like the (g)raphic is more important than the (u) in the gui...

i'm sure n one would have problems zeroing in on those knobs, but bigger is better...in what looks like a shell type of arrangement i can see how the plug could not be made smaller, but in that case i think there would be a stronger argument for making the knobs (the actual user part) bigger

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: the point is the decision was made to sacrifice a 3rd of the space for unusable graphic eye-candy....it looks like the (g)raphic is more important than the (u) in the gui...

i'm sure n one would have problems zeroing in on those knobs, but bigger is better...in what looks like a shell type of arrangement i can see how the plug could not be made smaller, but in that case i think there would be a stronger argument for making the knobs (the actual user part) bigger
Designing a GUI is always a matter of finding balances and making compromises. I saw people advocating the minimalist approach, and stating that only sound matters... It isn't true, and the fact is that if you have two similar products, and one looks better than the other, you choose the one that looks better (I would).
So, IK Multimedia knows that, and besides doing great sounding plug-ins, also offers some eye candy to their users. I, at least, like that. Sems like others do, too, and that's why we were schocked with the look opf British Channel. Sure it sounds good, but an eye lifting is a desperate need.
I also don't mind some wasted space - otherwise, I would not buy any soft synth that has a keyboard in it's GUI - and I have many with that.
Fernando (FMR)

Personally if we reduced the eye candy of the tape transport, etc, I'd opt for MORE buttons to control more cool stuff. Glad I'm not in charge of that! Well, at least some people probably are glad...

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:So the knobs look too small, but my question was simply whether you were assessing the visual or the actual use of said knobs to come to that conclusion - and you answered my question. Defensively. But I won't tell you how to post/act. ;)
it's not about the knobs looking too small....i made a general comment about gui design which doesn't just apply to this plugin, nor is it something i would level at you as a company specifically

the point is the decision was made to sacrifice a 3rd of the space for unusable graphic eye-candy....it looks like the (g)raphic is more important than the (u) in the gui...

Don't like it ? Don't buy it. I think the GUI is both functionally and visually perfect.......it's for the iPad and if I owned one I'd buy that version is a heart beat.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So anyway what about the new British GUI ? :hihi:

Return to “Effects”