This new SSL channel strip from IK Multimedia looks great

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh, and this is why I should have spent more on the group buy? :hihi:

I own T-Racks Deluxe, which I like a lot. So I am a fan too. And I don't want to just pile on. But I do think that the GUI is problematic from just a usage perspective. I think the way it looks will make it harder for me to use it.

I have a hard time looking at any particular knob without feeling like my eye is pulled somewhere else, and this is partly because of the ways the colors are spread out and how bright they are, but it's also partly because there aren't even any local symmetries in the design, with the exception of the bisected bottom half. And non-coincidentally, the bottom half is the best looking part of the GUI: there are symmetries, hence repeating themes, there are fewer colors to distract, etc.

I like, e.g., some airwindows plugins that have no GUI, so it's not as if a good GUI is of crucial importance. But in this case, I do think that the GUI positively distracts -- it sucks up attention -- and since we all have finite amount of attention to spend on the objects we wish to attend to, that's a cost. One will have an easier attention paying attention to how something sounds if one isn't excessively distracted by how it looks. That's just a fact. And unlike real analogue gear where you can close your eyes and physically turn knobs, there is no way to avoid looking at the screen while manipulating parameters. So I would gently suggest that IK reconsider the design of the GUI.
Why'd you slice off my hand?

[quote="paterpeter"]Image

What a radical approach to saying farewell to skeuomorphic design.
Ive will be happy!

;-)

120 credits?

No.

but thanks!

hibidy wrote:Oh, and this is why I should have spent more on the group buy? :hihi:
As long as you didn't say ONLY in there, I'll have to agree. ;)

First things first, they totally missed the mark by not calling it "The English Channel." I've been looking at what I assume is the full-size GUI on and off. The worst thing for me is how the knob colors wash out the already sort of faint, white on mottled gray legends.

I've got more, but I'll leave it at that for now. Oh, it may be possible that it grows on you, or at least that you get used to it. Between here and GS, I'd say that at least 9 out of 10 have a bad initial reaction. You don't want that. They should be making it better as we speak.

I've used a lot of actual SSL hardware. I have a full superanalogue/SSL9000 channelstrip in X-Rack format, in my new portable rig. I also have the Duende EQ and Dynamics Channel in DSP and native. There's a stately elegance and dignity to Solid State Logic gear. This doesn't have that.

WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:First things first, they totally missed the mark by not calling it "The English Channel."
Son of a.... argh, that's great. And yes I'd agree to the same calculation I've made casually before reading your post. About 90% against. Some grey area in there where many wouldn't let it affect the purchase but still.

Edit - we did want "One GUI Louder" but that was too close to another plugin :(

Even if the sound is all that matters, the gui - as someone - pointed out, at least shouldn't distract you. The plugin sounds good but I get 'sweaty' eyes after a few minutes of use. The knobs seem to float above the background, and the background itself makes me feel like I'm looking at The Scream by Munch, forcing my sight at certain directions. Even if there is hardware looking bad as h-ll one can at least look at another direction, turning the knobs - or stomp on them as is the case with the fugly z-vex pedals!
My name is Jonas.

"sweaty eyes" - I have to log that one, too. No, I swear we did not intend to make the British Channel sit on your screen and scream "LOOK AT ME!!!!!" when you tried to do other tasks. However, I can see that ~90% of you think that's how it is.

The sound does matter, and I really hope people are still giving the old "Try" button a click regardless. I'm collecting the feedback and I had a phone call about this today so I'm understanding the initial impressions more and more.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
when did fisher-price start making plugins ?? .....

'MY FIRST CHANNEL STRIP'

:hihi: Too funny (IMO) not to quote.

Peter, you can include me in that 90%. It's not just ugly, but hard to work with. The colors are simply jarring.

On the bright side... mapping the controls would limit the need to open the plugin.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:"sweaty eyes" - I have to log that one, too. No, I swear we did not intend to make the British Channel sit on your screen and scream "LOOK AT ME!!!!!" when you tried to do other tasks. However, I can see that ~90% of you think that's how it is.

The sound does matter, and I really hope people are still giving the old "Try" button a click regardless. I'm collecting the feedback and I had a phone call about this today so I'm understanding the initial impressions more and more.
I don't want to come through as entirely negative. I actually dig its sound. What caught my first attention was the gate, sounds superb and super useful. Will check the comp and eq tomorrow when I have some mixing work to do.
One question - if buying this, can I use it outside the shell as a single plugin?
My name is Jonas.

mr jkn wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:"sweaty eyes" - I have to log that one, too. No, I swear we did not intend to make the British Channel sit on your screen and scream "LOOK AT ME!!!!!" when you tried to do other tasks. However, I can see that ~90% of you think that's how it is.

I don't want to come through as entirely negative. I actually dig its sound. What caught my first attention was the gate, sounds superb and super useful. Will check the comp and eq tomorrow when I have some mixing work to do.
One question - if buying this, can I use it outside the shell as a single plugin?
Oh I know. By now, I have no choice but to take it all in stride :) Yes you can use it outside the shell too. And, as pointed out above, you could map the control and have less sweaty eyes!

DELETED

maxxxter wrote:Wow, it looks so "Christmass"-y that I actually expect to find some presents underneath it in the morning!

Sounds very nice though...
I'll give something to the first person who makes the British Channel GUI into a good Christmas tree and posts it in this thread.... Meaning, I'll put a present under it for them!

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Also, I find that points like the one made about long-term usability and how it may be hard to do so for the user that made the point are far more realistic observations about a GUI. But again, I understand now that yours wasn't a potshot and your opinion is as valid as any other though I find no logical connection between a GUI like this and the sound quality/DSP programming of said plugin.

To try it, just download T-RackS Custom Shop free version at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/trcs if you'd like
So, my point is illogical? You won't admit that the way something looks can affect the way a product is perceived by the user? Really? :lol:
That's an interesting opinion for someone in your line of work.

As for trying it, I've already said I can't stand to look at it. If I tried it and like it, then what am I to do? :hihi:

Return to “Effects”