This new SSL channel strip from IK Multimedia looks great

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Always liked this guy's hat:

Marketing Hat (though really people may want to keep this in mind):
Seriously, though, on topic. If you do like how this and the other processors sound, the upgrade pricing is time-limited and ends on January 7, 2012. 50% off. All that jazz. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=1842

Wizard's Hat:
Also semi on-topic, I think I'm beginning to be able to control Integratron's GUI with my mind now. :P :party: :ud:

deleted
Last edited by antithesist on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deleted
Last edited by antithesist on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I do understand the lineage of SSL, obviously.
And that is why I'm telling you that the British Channel is not based on Duende, or the C200 it was ported from, or the 9K, which the C200 inherited its architecture from. But the C200/Duende, to the best of my knowledge, is not component level modeled. So that alone (ignoring the fact that it is not even the same hardware) illustrates that the British Channel is simply a different type of product with a different goal. We are not aiming to LOOK like hardware (clearly :hihi:). We are aiming to SOUND like hardware.

But now you say you were merely talking about the layout? Then why did you even equate it with my use of the word "model" in this discussion? You're really showing your lack of knowledge of modeling hardware, just as you do with licensing agreements.

This brings us back to my point. As you even admit every channel strip by SSL and others uses this layout. You even posted plenty of photos in this very thread showing many different software interfaces that utilize that basic layout.

So how many different ways can it be said, we did not copy anyone's software? We concerned ourselves ONLY with the hardware which we meticulously modeled. Hardware that Duende is not even based on. The similarities you are pointing out are because other software, MANY others, are based on and inspired by the same hardware and its derivatives.

Okay... but you're willing to admit that Slash is not really real, right? :hihi:
Somewhere in the background zedd

Peter - as you read this you will be under my control!

D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

zedd wrote:Okay... but you're willing to admit that Slash is not really real, right? :hihi:
Saul Hudson is really, really, really real - not slash!
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Cool, "looks great", fellow cat lover.

deleted
Last edited by antithesist on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

To the IK guys:

do you have any audio comparisons between sw/hw version of the channelstrip? Like the ones you did between the hw/sw versions of 76 and 2A.
My name is Jonas.

Teksonik wrote:Check this one out. I prefer this look without colored rings.......

I'd still like a version more in line with the other TRacks plugins but this might be a compromise for those who like the current version. :)
I too think that these slightly greyed rings soften the look a bit, and could be a good compromise for the time being, while IK works on a GUI more worthing of it's tradition and pedigree. This and perhaps a brushed steel backgound, instead of the one that's there right now.
Fernando (FMR)

Please make the GUI cooler than the original hardware. If it looks sexy, like some vintage EMI gear, then I am more likely to want to use it. :love:

Ultimately, I'd like to see something with chicken knobs...

Raytheon style knobs are pretty neato too...

And I have no problem with the trusty Dakaware knobs...

If you make the knobs black and the faceplate grey or muted, then those backlit meters will really pop out and give the unit a great look. :-)
Somewhere in the background zedd

I wouldn't ever give away my Black 76 and White 2A, or any of the other T-RackS singles I have, for that matter. Love them to death!

But this SSL-ish thing... Cmon, you can't be serious?!

Doesn't matter after what it's "component modeled" ... it looks like a dreadful disease, so even though I know it will probably sound top notch, I won't be touching this with a barge-pole.

Sorry IK guys, this one's a no-buyer.

Was your GUI designer on LSD or something?

Also, as a side-note, the SSL Duende Channel Strip is the same DSP code that's also running on the C200 series consoles, correct. According to SSL, what's running on the C200 consoles is modeled after the 4000 E and G series, not the 9K series.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

You are definitely incorrect about that last part, chokehold. For verifiable proof, just take a look at the gate/expander in Duende. There is a 4th knob, "HOLD" which is not present on the 4000, but can be found on the 9000.

Here in the SSL C200 brochure it says:

"4-band Equaliser section - featuring a choice of EQ profiles
including SSL's 4000 'G' and 'E' Series"

So I don't stand corrected as of yet, but only half-right.
The EQ part of the C200 console, that has been ported to the Duende plugins, is based on 4000 series.

Don't know about the dynamics section though, can't find that info.
Maybe it's a 4000-base that's been "expanded" for practical reasons, maybe it's a pure 9000.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Return to “Effects”