This new SSL channel strip from IK Multimedia looks great

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to test it against Duende's Channel Strip (that I love and have been using for years) but IK's lacks HP and LP filters :/

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I'm definitely fond of psychedelic designs...but that bus is truly vomitous to me.
Okay... well now you are insulting the place where I live. It's one thing to point out the flaws in a silly plugin, but quite another to refer to a man's home as vomitous. Did you know that Jerry Garcia actually painted flowers on the doors of my bus when he came to visit me in the early 90s? That beautiful bus has had more famous musicians in it than this whole forum and they all told me how much they love the psychedelic designs on the bus. Believe me, the interior is even more spectacular.

Well of course I am totally kidding. I just utilized that image to demonstrate that a groovy design had to constitute more than just multicolours alone. For me, "groovy" and "psychedelic" usually don't hinge on bright colours. Some of the grooviest psychedelic images and patterns that have completely blown my mind were almost see-through... though I have to admit that during some of those incredible experiences I was feeling blissfully nauseous.
Somewhere in the background zedd

the bus come by and I got on, that's when it all began...
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

deleted
Last edited by antithesist on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The British Channel is modeled on hardware, not software.

Haha damn, I didn't even noticed the filter section. I'm too used to Duende's I guess, which I prefer the layout and look (more logical, cleaner and it documents the internal signal processing order pretty well). I'll happily give IK's a try anyway... whenever demo period gets extended, should be 2 weeks instead of 2 days.

deleted
Last edited by antithesist on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funny post title

Edit - never mind. I should let the train take its own course :)

Antithesis, the Duende channel strip is ported from the C200, a digital mixer that SSL makes.

We modeled a classic analog mixer channel strip that dates back to the '80s, not a digital one!

The layouts are similar to the extent that they both have knobs for things like gain, frequency, and Q, and low, low-mid, high-mid, and high bands, plus lowpass and highpass filters. Both also include a gate and compressor with knobs for things like threshold and release.

But apparently, these are the standard components of EQ, compression, and gating :idea:

I think it should look like this:

D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

deleted
Last edited by antithesist on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:Looks like our channel strip's GUI has been universally panned (pun intended.)
We will probably update the graphics in a future update. Truth be told, these graphics were sort of a last minute stand-in. Seems a certain company frowned upon usage of our original graphics...
If you do reskin the plug, please leave the old scheme as an option. Maybe it's because I've never used a real SSL, but I don't mind these colors so much. Maybe subconsciously, they even encourage a certain degree of adventurousness, maybe make you want to turn up those highs for a little more brightness?

Would be a nice psych experiment, btw... Give half the participants an SSL-style UI, half the participants the color scheme as is, and have them mix the same song. I'm guessing the IK-scheme users will have brighter and more in-your-face mixes as a result.

What a lot of people seem to be missing is that this is, as far as I can tell, the single most affordable high-grade SSL console strip emulation available, at $99.99 (for 120 credits) or half that with jampoints. So it's a bold step into the pro audio market that IK seems to have abandoned for a while.

Also, there are issues to be fixed that are far more significant than the GUI. For example, the lack of an offline installation option, since many people don't connect their DAW machines to the internet. Also, I'm surprised we haven't heard a single Pro-Toolsie whine about the lack of AAX support. Personally, I don't care, but things being what they are - it seems important to the market in general. Certainly more important than the color or the brightness of the knobs.

antithesist, we altered the original orientation of the channel strip modules to make it fit the T-RackS form factor.

We model classic hardware that people want. It's sort of our thing. It involves painstakingly taking measurements of vintage circuits and then developing new and unique algorithms to precisely recreate the analog behavior more accurately than anyone has done before. We don't copy anyone's software DSP.

Take a look around. You are totally out on a limb here, all alone in your accusations. Time to reel it back in.
Last edited by Brian @ IK Multimedia on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

antithesist wrote:..... actual photos of my personal X-Rack modules. .....
gizza look...gotta link ??

Return to “Effects”