Thoughts on digital EQs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you guys think of Parametric EQ2 inside FL Studio? I've been using it a lot over the last two years...

If I recall correctly, equality will actually go to a Q of over 1000 with the gain/Q interaction turned all the way up. You have to turn on Show True Q in Misc Setup to see the actual Q, though. That's a feature a friend of mine requested, although maybe others did, too. I believe the Q or bandwidth definition can vary from one EQ to another, as well. Oh, and equality can also do notch filters. I can't remember if they can be narrower than the bells.

antithesist wrote:If I recall correctly, equality will actually go to a Q of over 1000 with the gain/Q interaction turned all the way up. You have to turn on Show True Q in Misc Setup to see the actual Q, though. That's a feature a friend of mine requested, although maybe others did, too. I believe the Q or bandwidth definition can vary from one EQ to another, as well. Oh, and equality can also do notch filters. I can't remember if they can be narrower than the bells.
Interesting, in all honesty if its as narrow as Studio One ProEQ then that is plenty narrow enough for my needs.

Often ringing frequencies a not tiny pin pricks, they are a fairly small area but I sometimes widen the Q in notches to remove them.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Some digital EQs just plain sound/work better than others for certain things, no news there. If I'm trying to shape/color something I won't worry so much and just audition 2 or 3 EQs till I get a nice sound.

If I'm trying to correct something then I might first run some pink noise thru the EQ and bring up SPAN so I can see exactly how wide a Q=10 cut of 12db is at 100 hertz for example. Not all EQs can make a nice 'notchy' type cut down there in the bass where kick and bass guitar (resonances) live. Sometimes you just want to EQ one bass note that picked up too much of the room when recording (or is it your room when mixing/mastering :hihi: ). Other things can affect the sound of a filter but I like to see if the curve I think I'm setting is the actual cut.

If I need to go there I usually use GlissEQ first, the display curve usually matches the cut I make now matter what frequency and Q (it uses bandwidth but same idea). I'm sure there are others that perform similiarly.

Return to “Effects”