SKnote DDD - Chorus!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DDD

quintosardo wrote:It changes internal working level, it is an input gain compensated for by an opposite output gain.
Circuits modeled are non linear, including the compander section.
The Bucket Brigade could distort a bit, dynamics are affected by the compander. It could be extremely subtle, probably you can start listening to it on a dull (few harmonics) and dynamic (lots of attacks) bass sequence.
Thanks!!

Just had my first play, running pre-recorded mono DI'd electric guitar and bass tracks through it, and comparing it with the "Dimension" presets on Valhalla UberMod.

I'm happy to say I preferred it to the UberMod versions (although I didn't spend too long tweaking to get them sounding as close as possible). Even with DDD 100% wet (how the original SDD320 is set up, and which I used to own), the sound of the dry source is let through far more clearly than when UberMod is set to 50% or less.

I've owned many of the famous hardware choruses (SDD 320, DC-2, DC-3, CE-300 and a custom Fromel Seraph Deluxe), and am a bit of a "Dimension" nut. I sold the Fromel a few years back when UberMod came along, and have been very happy with it. But this does sound better/clearer, I think, which is perhaps something to do with how the dry signal is EQ'd differently from the effected signal, which Quintosardo has mentioned on here before? It's crystal clear right slap bang in the middle, even when at 100%, just like the 320. I'm definitely glad I bought it! Backing off to 25-50% dry signal, and you have that classic "doesn't really sound like much, until you bypass it" effect.

Problems: You can't press a combination of buttons like you could on the original SDD-320. The Gain knob does nothing at all. There is no manual (what's the point of the input and companding meters, and if the gain worked at all, where should we be setting it?) The GUI is still too dark and LARGE! Any chance of a "baby" version?

I love it and the price was right!

darkflame23 wrote:I'm happy to say I preferred it to the UberMod versions (although I didn't spend too long tweaking to get them sounding as close as possible). Even with DDD 100% wet (how the original SDD320 is set up, and which I used to own), the sound of the dry source is let through far more clearly than when UberMod is set to 50% or less.
That's good to hear. The Dimension-D is indeed a fairly subtle effect, at least relative to other choruses.

Yes. It is a fantastic mixing tool, if I can say it :party:

Now a dyno is needed, on the other side, strong chorus :hyper:

Getting great results on acoustic recordings. A new video coming.
Sounds like chorus-based widening translates to mono, somehow...

n/m
Last edited by scintillator on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

The original version modes would have been redundant here, because some differ just for the wet/dry balance and we added a mix knob here.
So modes 1-4 are not original modes but combinations of the main feature for a wider palette, while keeping some correspondence, e.g. modes 1-2 are faster, mode 4 is straight-stereo (L to L, R to R).

The gain knob does a lot, it changes internal working levels. Bucket brigades and compander are not linear, so it changes something. Just set it to 50% if you don't get useful changes from it.

About large interfaces: they are always too small for me when using the plugins in the studio, because screens are hi-res and we are always rather far from them.
Also I'm used to focus on a single effect, not several open together, probably this is a reason why I often design large GUIs...
Last edited by quintosardo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

@scintillator: any feeling about the sound? Are you using it on acoustic sources or synths?

n/m
Last edited by scintillator on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

n/m
Last edited by scintillator on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gave DDD the first test run on acoustic guitar today. I cannot say I found it subtle, but then I inserted it directly on the track, and any chorus on acoustic guitar has to be handled carefully in my opinion. Glad this has a mix button, comes in very handy, else it would have been too much, but with it, the result was great.
Tried it on vocals, too, but it didn't fit the song. I had the UAD version until recently and remember the DD being capable of adding something nice to vocals, so I am gonna try it again sometime.
Really nice, I liked it instantly. And the concept of a chorus with just four "preset" knobs (ok, now with two extra buttons) is still a great one, I love that simplicity. Of course the GUI could be a bit lighter and grey text on black background is never easy to read, but it doesn't matter too much with this one as you simply don't need to read the text labels.
What I found subtle - as others here - is the effect of the gain knob. I didn't hear any big difference at first glance. But as the rest sounds great, I couldn't care less...

n/m
Last edited by scintillator on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow thanks scintillator, glad you like it! :)

Yes, it is a 1:1 emulation, just the presets aren't the original ones to get more variation after we added the mix knob.

I'm trying to open the chart in the link you posted.

Presets are:

- fast cross-stereo
- fast straight-stereo
- slow cross-stereo
- slow straight-stereo

plus some subtle variations due to the modeling of the different circuital paths in the hw unit.

n/m
Last edited by scintillator on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi
I made a little user manual for DDD, if anyone is interested :
https://app.box.com/s/jrvdr9yceesxzh40kioj

Return to “Effects”