ValhallaVintageVerb 1.7.1. Two new reverb modes (Chaotic Hall, Chaotic Chamber)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaVintageVerb

Wow, that's really bad.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

hibidy wrote:I have a funny (or sad maybe? :hihi: ) story about the NI vs VVV testing I was doing. I kept changing the presets on NI's 24 and was like "wow, this sounds great".......

It was VVV :oops: Placebo and perception CLEARLY play a roll in things. Yep, the old fart is learning.......
Ha-Ha! :lol: :lol: Definitely funny. Although, if the price is right, you might consider buying the Placebo. I've heard great things about it. :D
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

I just thought it was funny because it happens to people. I hear stories about it all the time and it's just so true about perception. I'm still a bit confused because I know I was listening to small halls in the 24 and then thought that I moved the "mid" slider and made it bigger. Must have accidentally switched to a/b those and then had the brain-fart.

Oh well, good news for people thinking about VVV :hihi:

You two who linked soundcloud ambient/drone stuff ... Fantastic stuff!!!!
:hug:

hibidy wrote:I just thought it was funny because it happens to people. I hear stories about it all the time and it's just so true about perception. I'm still a bit confused because I know I was listening to small halls in the 24 and then thought that I moved the "mid" slider and made it bigger. Must have accidentally switched to a/b those and then had the brain-fart.

Oh well, good news for people thinking about VVV :hihi:
I've done stuff like that before. I was comparing VeeThree to another plugin, and VeeThree sounded HORRIBLE. Compared to the plugin I was testing, it was metallic as all get out. Then I realized that I was running through both plugins in series. I turned off the other plugin, and Vee3 sounded like it was supposed to.

Sean Costello

People who don't have have such a story to tell (or to keep for themselves) didn't turn enough knobs in their lives. :D
The most embarassing thing is when you "hear" the difference even though the unit is switched off. :hihi: 8)

...or they never switch off their units because they don't do A/B.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Perhaps I missed it, how the Size knob is scaling in meters? Is it possible to translate percents to meters or vice versa? May be it is variable for various algorithms?

trance_lucent wrote:Perhaps I missed it, how the Size knob is scaling in meters? Is it possible to translate percents to meters or vice versa? May be it is variable for various algorithms?
My Size control is in % instead of meters, because the meter measurements in algorithmic reverbs are usually total bull****. A room that has a longest dimension of 39 meters would have a modal density a few orders of magnitude greater than a Lexicon algorithm that displays that size.

Plus, these algorithms aren't rooms. They are a bunch of allpass delays in a loop. Nothing physical whatsoever.

Just so things are clear, the strength of my reaction has nothing to do with your question (which is a fair enough question). I just get bugged by this weird "meters" convention, which puts this inaccurate physical dimension on some algorithms that are not physically based.

In ValhallaVintageVerb, the Size percentage just goes from "smallest" to "largest." The ratio between small and large, and the maximum size of large, depends on the reverb mode being used. For example, Chamber has a much wider variation than Room. I based the Size in Room on the measured variation in a PCM60. Getting much smaller or much bigger with that algorithm sounded kinda weird, so I kept things in the measured range.

Sean Costello

Hi Sean,

I am going to demo this reverb soon (on headphones) and just wanted to ask if the 1.01 version is out soon? Its just I read somewhere there might be a loud noise bug in 1.0 and don't want my ears exploding :)

Cheers

thermal wrote:Hi Sean,

I am going to demo this reverb soon (on headphones) and just wanted to ask if the 1.01 version is out soon? Its just I read somewhere there might be a loud noise bug in 1.0 and don't want my ears exploding :)
I'm still getting feedback from the beta, so the 1.0.1 release won't be out for "a little bit" (deliberately undefined unit of time). I haven't had any noise burst issues with the latest beta, but this has been a totally rare and random bug. About 1% of users have had the burst, and it almost always happens once or twice without being repeatable. I found a memory leak that is fixed in the latest beta, which might have been the cause of the noise issues.

Sean Costello

Sean, is there a reason you are not answering you mails ?
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

BTW, to rephrase Jack Black :

Are your plugs about love, about vikings, or about vikings making love ?... :D
Last edited by Tp3 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

How do we receive the latest beta?
You are currently reading my signature.

Tp3 wrote:Sean, is there a reason you are not answering you mails ?
?

I'm pretty caught up on answering emails right now. If your email hasn't been answered, try sending it again. I get a LOT of emails, and occasionally one falls through the cracks.

Sean Costello

Return to “Effects”