ValhallaVintageVerb 1.7.1. Two new reverb modes (Chaotic Hall, Chaotic Chamber)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaVintageVerb

valhallasound wrote:If you are a current Vee3 user who wanted the beta and didn't get it, send me a note with your email and I'll send it your way.

Sean Costello
PM sent :D

[EDIT]I received your email while I was PMing you, sorry!

er... I just demoed V3 (my first experience with Valhalla, FreqEcho aside, which did nothing for me) and actually I am shocked at how incredibly good it sounds...
:shock: :-o :shock:

plus: it barely uses any CPU :help:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

valhallasound wrote:
Cimbasso wrote:I just finished some PCM & 480 presets for Vee3, you can download them in Vee3 Preset thread. :)
Cool! I'll check them out.
BTW, can't wait to try the new algo, Simon's demos sound awesome as always.
The new algorithm has some quirks to it. With certain sounds, you can hear a bit of a pattern in the longer decays. I was thinking about how to fix that, but Simon has used that sound to good effect in his examples. The way I look at it, there's already 8 well behaved reverb algorithms in Vee3, so having something that sounds *different* than those algorithms is a good thing. Plus, the modulation in Sanctuary is ridiculously lush, and sounds great on synths.

Sean Costello
Sean, you need to ignore your golden ears for once - and you already did by letting the algo go through as it is now, so don't touch it anymore - of course you will - but only to make you feel a little better, I love it :)
As stated before - Sanctuary is a greaaaaat addition to an already greeeeater Plug-In!

Sampleconstruct wrote:
valhallasound wrote: The new algorithm has some quirks to it. With certain sounds, you can hear a bit of a pattern in the longer decays. I was thinking about how to fix that, but Simon has used that sound to good effect in his examples. The way I look at it, there's already 8 well behaved reverb algorithms in Vee3, so having something that sounds *different* than those algorithms is a good thing. Plus, the modulation in Sanctuary is ridiculously lush, and sounds great on synths.

Sean Costello
Sean, you need to ignore your golden ears for once - and you already did by letting the algo go through as it is now, so don't touch it anymore - of course you will - but only to make you feel a little better, I love it :)
As stated before - Sanctuary is a greaaaaat addition to an already greeeeater Plug-In!
Well, I'm touching Sanctuary. :D The 1.0.1b16 version that I am working on has a few changes:

- The late reverb is "normalized" compared to the earlier version, so there is always some amplitude in the late reverb. This will help center the stereo image, and keep the volume in line with the other algorithms.
- The early reflections now have a fixed size for all Size settings, with the late reverb density being controlled by Size. It turns out that larger Size settings don't work well with the sparse early reflections, so it works best to keep them in the "sweet spot."
- I'm going to tackle a little convertor modeling in the next few days. I've been reading the 224XL service manual and "Musical Applications of Microprocessors," and I have some ideas.

The changes are not going to take away the strange characteristics of the Sanctuary mode. I just want to make it both stranger and more usable.

And thanks for the vote of encouragement, Simon!

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: Well, I'm touching Sanctuary. :D The 1.0.1b16 version that I am working on has a few changes:

The changes are not going to take away the strange characteristics of the Sanctuary mode. I just want to make it both stranger and more usable.

Sean Costello
There is no stopping you Sean !
I think the changes sound good.
Looking forward to 16.

Thanks.

Build 15 - Sanctuary mode - a trailer that will be shown globally on TV before the evening news (also in Arab countries, but the music in that one will be played with Duduks), the Valhalla logo appears, then Sean and his wife sitting in golden thrones wearing crowns, a deep raunchy voice says: "Sanctuary mode, now available in your local music store", then Sean just falls off the thrown into an animated/spinning black hole with the design of 80s mode - it'll be killer!

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/v ... ss-trailer

I picked up VVV yesterday after spending some quality time with the demo. What a lovely reverb. Thanks for another great plugin, Sean.

Also, thanks to those sharing patches in this thread - some real gems...
Bronto Scorpio wrote:Some field recordings I made destroyed by one of my Reaktor ensembles through the ambience algo (I love that one for "natural" spaces):

Without VVV
With VVV

:hihi:
My cat doesn't like the sound at all. If I ever have to make some monster noises for some found footage horror movie I now know how to do it though :hihi:

The preset:

Code: Select all

<ValhallaVintageVerb pluginVersion="1.0.0" presetName="Granular Soundscape Preset" Mix="0.363999993" PreDelay="0.125" Decay="0.338" Size="0.103" Attack="0.200000003" BassMult="0.565950155" BassXover="0.703999996" HighShelf="0.708000004" HighFreq="0.611999989" EarlyDiffusion="0.300000012" LateDiffusion="0.699999988" ModRate="0.497000009" ModDepth="0.100000001" HighCut="0.65200001" LowCut="0.0560000017" ColorMode="0.666666687" ReverbMode="0.291666657"/>
Cheers
Dennis
These mangled field recording are great, Dennis. Is the ensemble all your own work? Is it available in the user library? I'd love some more information if you're happy to share it.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Build 15 - Sanctuary mode - a trailer that will be shown globally on TV before the evening news (also in Arab countries, but the music in that one will be played with Duduks), the Valhalla logo appears, then Sean and his wife sitting in golden thrones wearing crowns, a deep raunchy voice says: "Sanctuary mode, now available in your local music store", then Sean just falls off the thrown into an animated/spinning black hole with the design of 80s mode - it'll be killer!

This is just amazing stuff, Simon. And f***ing funny as well.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Build 15 - Sanctuary mode - a trailer that will be shown globally on TV before the evening news (also in Arab countries, but the music in that one will be played with Duduks), the Valhalla logo appears, then Sean and his wife sitting in golden thrones wearing crowns, a deep raunchy voice says: "Sanctuary mode, now available in your local music store", then Sean just falls off the thrown into an animated/spinning black hole with the design of 80s mode - it'll be killer!

This is just amazing stuff, Simon. And f***ing funny as well.

Sean Costello
Thank's Sean :D

I already can not live without this anymore. :D
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

valhallasound wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
valhallasound wrote: The new algorithm has some quirks to it. With certain sounds, you can hear a bit of a pattern in the longer decays. I was thinking about how to fix that, but Simon has used that sound to good effect in his examples. The way I look at it, there's already 8 well behaved reverb algorithms in Vee3, so having something that sounds *different* than those algorithms is a good thing. Plus, the modulation in Sanctuary is ridiculously lush, and sounds great on synths.

Sean Costello
Well, I'm touching Sanctuary. :D The 1.0.1b16 version that I am working on has a few changes:

- The late reverb is "normalized" compared to the earlier version, so there is always some amplitude in the late reverb. This will help center the stereo image, and keep the volume in line with the other algorithms.
- The early reflections now have a fixed size for all Size settings, with the late reverb density being controlled by Size. It turns out that larger Size settings don't work well with the sparse early reflections, so it works best to keep them in the "sweet spot."
- I'm going to tackle a little convertor modeling in the next few days. I've been reading the 224XL service manual and "Musical Applications of Microprocessors," and I have some ideas.

I'll be releasing the 1.0.1b19 version of ValhallaVintageVerb to all beta testers in the next few days. I implemented all of the above changes: normalized late reverb volume, fixed early reflection size, convertor modeling. A few additional changes:

- New "steep" lowpass filters for 1970s and 1980s modes in Sanctuary. The 1970s mode is fixed at 8.2 kHz, while the 1980s mode is set to 12 kHz.
- I removed the first early reflection. For some reason, this really helps to center the stereo image better than the 1.0.1b15 version of Sanctuary. I think that the impulse responses of the EMT250 I was using were messed up, with the dry signal showing up as an early echo.

I REALLY like the sound of the convertor models. I figured out how to incorporate dither and extra gain stepping, so that the reverb doesn't "frizzle out" at the end of the decay. The convertor model seems to add some extra depth to the reverb as well. There is a little bit of a noise floor now, around -90 dB, which is necessary to avoid the frizzle sound at the end of the decay. I did some work at Don Gunn's studio yesterday, and we analyzed the noise floor and decay characteristics of an AMS RMX16 reverb, which has similar convertors to what I am modeling. The AMS reverb had a slightly higher noise floor, but otherwise had some similar characteristics.

If you are an existing Vee3 user, and you want to try the next beta, send me an email and I'll send you the beta when it is ready. I'll try to send the beta out to everyone who received the 1.0.1b15 beta as well.

Sean Costello

+1 :D
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

Sean, would be great if the converter model could be available as an on/off process for ALL reverb modes!

I read you say somewhere this could break compatibility... if it really does add extra depth then it would be *well worth* breaking it for a few hosts, could just have another .dll/plug-in ID for the new version?

I am sure there is some great solution to get converter modelling available as an option on everything. Maybe just have twice the no. of reverb types, each with the modelling on or off?

I am totally jumping ahead here, haven't even heard it yet :) Really look forward to checking it out! This is a first in plug-in reverbs i think.

thermal wrote:Sean, would be great if the converter model could be available as an on/off process for ALL reverb modes!

I read you say somewhere this could break compatibility... if it really does add extra depth then it would be *well worth* breaking it for a few hosts, could just have another .dll/plug-in ID for the new version?
I'm pretty new at this converter modeling, and it may not be great for all the reverb modes. Most hardware reverb algorithms were fine tuned around the characteristics of the hardware itself, so an algorithm that sounds great with modern converters might sound bad with digital "grunge" added to it. It would be better to add a few algorithms in the future that are tweaked to work well with the converter models, and have the particular characteristics selected by the Color mode.

I don't want to break compatibility for any hosts, and I don't want to redesign the GUI or have two parallel build paths that I have to maintain. I am still recovering from the massive amount of work needed to get VintageVerb out the door.
I am totally jumping ahead here, haven't even heard it yet :) Really look forward to checking it out! This is a first in plug-in reverbs i think.
I know that UA has done this converter modeling for a long time, and the upcoming Sknote Rev250 models the converters as well. I'm doing a looser model of the converters than what might be 100% accurate, as 1) I made some changes for a smoother decay, and 2) I don't have an EMT250 just sitting around. :D I dialed in some of the artifacts with an AMS RMX16 a few days ago, but I don't know how this compares to the EMT250.

Sean Costello

All good points, I was just being a bit obsessive there about the converter modelling! :help:

I have been demoing your vintage reverb all night, and it sounds fantastic. I bought Valhalla Room, and think I prefer this one by far. For realism IR's are best suited for me.

I only like the NOW mode on the ambience program so far, most stuff the 80's. Seems NOW and 70's are more like the special effects, 80's sound I think i would use most. It just takes the unwanted 'edge' off. I may change my mind later, that's just initial impressions.

I think there are not many great records that you can hear that extreme high frequency detail of NOW mode, sounds more like a record in 80's :) Great to have the options!

Return to “Effects”