bkFX v0.8.0 - Free Effects Suite - NEW down-/upward compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@midnight wrote:Thanks for the freebies.

One thing though, I am personally a fan of using oversampled plugins, rather than running an entire project at 96khz and having to deal with the file sizes that brings.

And in my experience, if you are doing heavy compression and/or distortion, simply running at 96khz won't be enough to remove all of the aliasing. You would still want to oversample that 2x or 4x to get it in the 376khz range to really remove all of the aliasing.

That's why for example Fabfilter Saturn has a fixed HQ mode at 8x oversampling, you really need that very high internal sampling rate to really get rid of the aliasing.
Hmm, at least in REAPER I can choose an arbitrarily high samplerate at least for offline rendering. For real-time mixing, 96kHz really is fine for me if there might be some aliasing left in some extreme cases.

I may consider an oversampling option in the future, but given that I personally see only limited benefit from it, I'm afraid it has a rather low priority on my todo list...

I use Reaper and didn't know about that, so if your interface maxes out at 96khz can you still have Reaper render at an even higher samplerate, say 192?

This might rock my world if true.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Since noone else has noticed it yet:

The Triangle in bkDelays mod section is really a Square. This means it is either mislabeled or the wrong waveform. Audio here. Beginning = both channels. First part = Wet side only, mod set to Triangle. Second part = Wet side only, mod set to Sine. Comparison is very conclusive, IMO. As a sideeffect it also shows that there is a lot of sputtering going on when the intensity slider is moved. Some sort of smoothing would be desirable here.

bkModFilter: Now that one was a surprise. Having the modulation going forward on one channel and backward on the other channel when the LFO is set to Stereo is a pretty ingenious idea because this can serve to introduce rather unexpected effects. Like in this audio here. Since the filtering is now (quasi-)shifted about in the Stereo field, (this was with the Triangle), the very low end almost takes on a surround-like quality, almost making it sound as if it comes from the far side of a very large room. (At least thats the case with good large woofers, cant vouch for small 2-ways or headphones of course.) And i must say i find that pretty cool. Definitely makes me want to play around with it more, so thanks for this. :)

@midnight wrote:I use Reaper and didn't know about that, so if your interface maxes out at 96khz can you still have Reaper render at an even higher samplerate, say 192?
Indeed! You can choose an arbitrary samplerate for "Render to file" as well as (and this I just found it and got even more excited) for the standard project samplerate in "Project Settings". The latter choice of samplerate will then apply to operations such as "apply track FX as new take" (EDIT: and track freeeze!). The resulting audio is then transparently resampled to your audio device's rate! How cool is that?
Last edited by karrikuh on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ENV1 wrote:Since noone else has noticed it yet:

The Triangle in bkDelays mod section is really a Square. This means it is either mislabeled or the wrong waveform. Audio here. Beginning = both channels. First part = Wet side only, mod set to Triangle. Second part = Wet side only, mod set to Sine. Comparison is very conclusive, IMO. As a sideeffect it also shows that there is a lot of sputtering going on when the intensity slider is moved. Some sort of smoothing would be desirable here.
Let me say that you're both right and wrong at the same time :) . What you are observing is rectangular modulation of the signal pitch when modulating the delay time with a triangle wave. This behavior is best explained when interpreted in terms of Doppler effect with fixed signal source and moving observer (the position of the observer is proportional to the delay time). Then one finds that the change of perceived signal pitch is proportional to the derivative (i.e. rate of change) of the delay time. The derivative of a triangle wave is, however, ... a square wave! So if you really want a smooth pitch modulation, choose the sine LFO, that's what it is meant for!

Regarding the sputtering: you are right, mod depth is not really suited for real-time modulation. If you want smooth modulation of mod intensity you should actually modulate the "delay time" parameter.
ENV1 wrote:bkModFilter: Now that one was a surprise. Having the modulation going forward on one channel and backward on the other channel when the LFO is set to Stereo is a pretty ingenious idea because this can serve to introduce rather unexpected effects. Like in this audio here. Since the filtering is now (quasi-)shifted about in the Stereo field, (this was with the Triangle), the very low end almost takes on a surround-like quality, almost making it sound as if it comes from the far side of a very large room. (At least thats the case with good large woofers, cant vouch for small 2-ways or headphones of course.) And i must say i find that pretty cool. Definitely makes me want to play around with it more, so thanks for this. :)
You're welcome!
Last edited by karrikuh on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey,

Would be cool to have both, HP and LP filters on the fixed filter instead of 1 filter with changeable mode.

Kalee wrote:Hey,

Would be cool to have both, HP and LP filters on the fixed filter instead of 1 filter with changeable mode.
I was thinking that too +1
miedex

karrikuh wrote:What you are observing is rectangular modulation of the signal pitch when modulating the delay time with a triangle wave.
So the effect is intended.

All good then. :)

karrikuh wrote:I may consider an oversampling option in the future, but given that I personally see only limited benefit from it, I'm afraid it has a rather low priority on my todo list...
I understand, however I think maybe it should be reconsidered since the majority of users still use 44.1 or 48khz.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

these seem promising :) thanks!

Any news about the graphic?

I hate the Ableton plugins fader and the usability is very poor!

Even a stupid graphic may help :D

Check out this guy for this: http://flavoursoflime.blogspot.it/
God save the Groove!

Kalee wrote:Hey,

I don't really see the advantage over using to plugin instances in series.

maurone dj wrote:Any news about the graphic?

Problem is, I really need to revise my development framework to make UI development less tedious/more powerful/flexible/portable. As a result, don't expect anything here before a couple of months, sorry to disappoint. Also, there are other duties in life... Doing a temporary UI is still a lot of work and, knowing it'll be ditched anyway at some point, a waste of time.
maurone dj wrote:Check out this guy for this: http://flavoursoflime.blogspot.it/
No doubt this guy is talented, maybe I will contact him.

karrikuh wrote:
maurone dj wrote:Any news about the graphic?

Problem is, I really need to revise my development framework to make UI development less tedious/more powerful/flexible/portable. As a result, don't expect anything here before a couple of months, sorry to disappoint. Also, there are other duties in life... Doing a temporary UI is still a lot of work and, knowing it'll be ditched anyway at some point, a waste of time.
maurone dj wrote:Check out this guy for this: http://flavoursoflime.blogspot.it/
No doubt this guy is talented, maybe I will contact him.
No problem man!

Good work, I tried your plugins, that's the reason of my interest in this project!

You have good potential!

Mauro.
God save the Groove!

that's i'll try latr

Return to “Effects”