bkFX v0.8.0 - Free Effects Suite - NEW down-/upward compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, shame about this GUIless input, Karrikuh. Sometimes, well most of the times, it would really come handy to have that.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

karrikuh wrote: As you have observed, the effString2Parameter is only implemented properly for numerical parameters as I don't see the point for the others except for consistency. It shouldn't however crash or something, just do nothing.
I agree it is needed for consistency but it would also be an easy way to change the values with a couple of keystrokes if you simple matched the first unique letters.

great effects.

love the mod filter. i really like the way the lfo works : sync to song position is very nice, but would it be possible to restart the lfo with automation ?
example: im using a 3/4 lfo speed but i would like to restart the lfo each 8 beats. maybe this could be done just by resending a value to the lfo phase parameter.
also having other filter types on the plugin would be nice, like ie a phaser.
it would also be cool that even after you make a gui for the plugs, you'd mantain a version without gui. guiless plugs are better in some situations.
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

I'd like a 4-band splitter .. :) I know there's other plugins with 4 bands but somehow i "trust" yours more. Not sure if there will be phasing issues when splitting like that and making a multiband compressor/whatever.
Do you think the audiogods would object if i used two of your 3-band splitters to create a 4-band? Or even a 5-band!
:hug:

hcv242 wrote:great effects.

love the mod filter. i really like the way the lfo works : sync to song position is very nice, but would it be possible to restart the lfo with automation ?
example: im using a 3/4 lfo speed but i would like to restart the lfo each 8 beats. maybe this could be done just by resending a value to the lfo phase parameter.
also having other filter types on the plugin would be nice, like ie a phaser.
it would also be cool that even after you make a gui for the plugs, you'd mantain a version without gui. guiless plugs are better in some situations.
At this point, I'd like to keep it as simple as it is right now. For more sophisticated control, maybe use automation?

A phaser is already included using allpass cascade aka "AP4", see Phaser preset.

I don't think I would keep GUI-less versions along with GUI versions, as it would increase the maintenance burden, especially if more platforms like Mac are to be supported. But be assured, the GUIs will strictly improve usability compared to the stock host UI, no unnecessary, flashy eye sugar, only maximum functionality.

Crackbaby wrote:I'd like a 4-band splitter .. :) I know there's other plugins with 4 bands but somehow i "trust" yours more. Not sure if there will be phasing issues when splitting like that and making a multiband compressor/whatever.
Do you think the audiogods would object if i used two of your 3-band splitters to create a 4-band? Or even a 5-band!
The band splitter really is nothing special and probably the most simple implementation possible. The implementation was really all about low CPU usage. It doesn't even do phase compensation, so there will be a small bump in the magnitude response if both split frequency are close together (like 1 octave). I might add phase compensation actually one day. Phase distortion near split frequencies will always be present, let your ears decide whether it's acceptable. Cascading multiple splitters is valid, it actually is how it is done internally to achieve more than 2 bands.

These are sweet!

Many thanks, much gratitude.

Cheers.

:tu:

Here's a vote for a GUI. I'm not into my host's GUI so I'm hoping for a GUI.
[Insert Signature Here]

New version released!

0.5 Beta (2013-08-28 )
  • bkFreqSplitter: improved frequency response when using all 3 bands
  • bkModFilter: revised LP4 filter
  • bkModFilter: revised/fixed HP2/HP4 filters
  • bkModFilter: new 2-pole Notch and 4-pole Bandpass filter modes

karrikuh wrote:
Crackbaby wrote:I'd like a 4-band splitter .. :) I know there's other plugins with 4 bands but somehow i "trust" yours more. Not sure if there will be phasing issues when splitting like that and making a multiband compressor/whatever.
The band splitter really is nothing special and probably the most simple implementation possible. The implementation was really all about low CPU usage. It doesn't even do phase compensation, so there will be a small bump in the magnitude response if both split frequency are close together (like 1 octave). I might add phase compensation actually one day. Phase distortion near split frequencies will always be present, let your ears decide whether it's acceptable. Cascading multiple splitters is valid, it actually is how it is done internally to achieve more than 2 bands.
In version 0.5, phase compensation has been added, so overall frequency response is now perfectly flat! Of course some degree of phase distortion is unavoidable with this kind of filter designs.

karrikuh wrote:
Debutante wrote:might want to check HP2 though... turning up the q factor starts to heavily bleed lower freq's that were cut off.
Hm, I did another frequency response analysis of the filter code yesterday and it looks fine. I guess it's just how the relatively low roll-off of a 2-pole compared to 4-pole is perceived. Did you compare to other 2-pole filter plugins?
Scratch that, you were totally right about the HP2 filter behaving wrong, there was a bug which is now fixed in version 0.5.

thanx for another fine update m8! :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Wow! Thank you, Karrikuh! I might start using your splitter now, too. ;) Good catch for HP2, Debutante. :cool:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

nice ideia to add new filter types to the modfilter. thank you for the update.

i don't know if you are done with the design of this fxs and now you just want to test and fix the remaining bugs.
still, i have a few sugestions for the delay fx:

1- it would be great to have a lfo like the one in bkmodfilter: with sync and phase option. this would be great to make rhythmic delay modulations patterns that repeat each bar.

2- resonant filters. it would be nice to colour the delay signal. just lp and hp without resonance produce very "clean \ dull" delay lines

3- the option to have the filter in the feedback path. so that it could produce dub delays \ delays that with high feedback values get louder and more distorted (saturated)

4- reverse the delay line

also: there is a little problem with the current guiless versions of the plugs. i can't set certain values. i cant't set, i.e., the syced delay value of 1.500x . the closest i can set it is 1.501x . i have tried in renoise and energyxt2.
i know this will prolly be fixed in the final versions with a gui, but it would be cool if it worked ok in the guiless versions since my plan is to keep using the last version before it gets a gui.

once again: thanks for this fx, they're great.
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

I want to thank you for this nice set of plugins, i realy like them.
If something is nicely designed, good described and of course when there is no need to scroll down, then guiless plugins are not a problem for me.

Some problems, that i noticed:
- delay - changing ping pong mode during play causing feedbacked clicks and pops from signal,
- delay - changing modulation depth introducing some noises,
- modfilter - changing LFO rate while LFO syncing is on causing clicks.
hcv242 wrote:i don't know if you are done with the design of this fxs and now you just want to test and fix the remaining bugs.
still, i have a few sugestions for the delay fx:

1- it would be great to have a lfo like the one in bkmodfilter: with sync and phase option. this would be great to make rhythmic delay modulations patterns that repeat each bar.

2- resonant filters. it would be nice to colour the delay signal. just lp and hp without resonance produce very "clean \ dull" delay lines

3- the option to have the filter in the feedback path. so that it could produce dub delays \ delays that with high feedback values get louder and more distorted (saturated)

4- reverse the delay line
More features, more fun. Would be great to have these, especially reverse delay with longer delay times.
hcv242 wrote:also: there is a little problem with the current guiless versions of the plugs. i can't set certain values. i cant't set, i.e., the syced delay value of 1.500x . the closest i can set it is 1.501x . i have tried in renoise and energyxt2.
i know this will prolly be fixed in the final versions with a gui, but it would be cool if it worked ok in the guiless versions since my plan is to keep using the last version before it gets a gui.
I have the same issue with fine tuning, because accuracy in gui for guiless plugins in my vst loader is 0,1% , it is even harder because of logarithmic scale.
Tuning in automation mode solved problem, but this mode is too accurate for fast usage...
For example 4,000 delay factor can be matched to +/- 0,001 by 1 value in automation, but 0,400 can be matched to +/- 0,001 by 12 values and syncing is changing on every value.
So, i have made bank with synced delays a couple days ago. It can be really helpful if you have troubles with matching exactly values, take it if you want.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2593681544

Return to “Effects”