Anyone else holding of all reverb purchases till Exponential release?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ostfront wrote: The only way he could make those fine folk happy would be to scrap the dongle and release his plugins for 50 bucks apiece. And that's ludicrous!

Reductio ad absurdum.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

ostfront wrote:
The only way he could make those fine folk happy would be to scrap the dongle and release his plugins for 50 bucks apiece. And that's ludicrous!
Believe me even then people will argue about price. They will whine even if Michael release it for free.

Few weeks ago they whined because NI offered free plugin for a limited time (christmas time) and after that it will be 40EUR at NI shop.

Quite a lot of people ditched NI and whined about it. Apparently they wanted it to stay free for ever. What a bunch of spoiled kids.

ostfront wrote:
AudioGuy720 wrote: Oh, BTW, back on topic, I'm holding off all my reverb purchases until the release of SKNote's Rev250. So I'm guilty of wanting to have a cheap getaway as well. Well, no one is without sin... :oops: :oops: :oops: :-o
Well that one is one to watch, his existing plate reverb is very nice.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Mercado_Negro wrote:An iLok is a necessary evil these days. I don't like them either but unfortunately there are many companies developing excellent plug-ins which are using it as copy protection so there's nothing we can do but purchase one. It's a one-time investment, risky and probably pointless in the long run but necessary.
One option is to actually avoid buying these dongled products.

I have done so with a couple of highly recommended products on Pensado's Place.
- Dongled=no deal
- if it was Massenburg EQ and SPL Vitalizer if I'm not mistaken.

If Waves still would have been dongled - same thing there, for me. Now my main line of plugs are Waves big part being new price policy and x64 as well.

Steven Slate is no-no - dongled.

I even got a Syncrosoft key once to run trial of Cubase - and never even was able to get license down on it.
Steinberg support could not fix it either.
- We hae had problems with the servers today

They did not even know how their demo system worked - once server system thought license was down - you could never get it down again running the same product demo. I would have to buy still another dongle to try demo Cubase.

That was my final goodbye to dongles.

I'm not against that software business is trying to protect their property - just that using this kind of software that goes deep below operating systems normal entry points - you are bound to create problems for users sooner or later. Not to mention the example above - where it's not transparent to users - you have a lot of implications updating this crap.

If I knew before buying that Arturia used Syncrosoft eLicenser I would have stayed aways from those too. Plenty strange error messages and updating of license databases, as well as the basic protection installers. I have no words how much I hate this stuff.

I didn't buy this protection product - I bought a end user software - but is occupied by dealing with updates and stuff of protection software. It should be transparent to user that it even exist.
:)

ariston wrote:As a dongle-free-world advocate, I believe it is important to...
The only thing that the anti-dongle derailers really achieve is to devalue Kvr as an open forum. Each and every developer that chooses the dongle as his method of copy protection has been obliged to run away from this forum and Michael Carnes will not be an exception. The level of harassment that they must withstand here is unbearable.

Some may be happy with Kvr being a forum for freeware, cheapware and cats. Others like me would prefer to meet every kind of developer here.

The annoyance that the dongles may cause to you is nothing compared with the annoyance of reading the anti dongle propaganda day after day, after day. Do what you want with your personal preferences and let the rest of the people alone.

standalone wrote: Do what you want with your personal preferences and let the rest of the people alone.
Sage advice... applicable to everyone but yourself, it seems.

I said I wasn't going to post further, but you people just can't let it lie, can you? I fail to see any part of the initial discussion as "harassment", as you put it. Maybe you can quote the offending passage, and I'll edit it.

The only ones that have started calling names and taking this into personal territory are you, kmonkey and ostfront. And in constantly replying (without actually adding any new insights to the discussion at hand, it must be said), YOU are the ones who are derailing the thread by flogging the meat off of this dead horse.

And now for the inevitable reply.... but hey! Let's see if you CAN follow your own advice, being as pro and mature as you no doubt are. I highly doubt it, though.

standalone wrote:
ariston wrote:As a dongle-free-world advocate, I believe it is important to...
The only thing that the anti-dongle derailers really achieve is to devalue Kvr as an open forum. Each and every developer that chooses the dongle as his method of copy protection has been obliged to run away from this forum and Michael Carnes will not be an exception. The level of harassment that they must withstand here is unbearable.

Some may be happy with Kvr being a forum for freeware, cheapware and cats. Others like me would prefer to meet every kind of developer here.

The annoyance that the dongles may cause to you is nothing compared with the annoyance of reading the anti dongle propaganda day after day, after day. Do what you want with your personal preferences and let the rest of the people alone.

Huge +1 standalone..

ok you don't like dongles.. so this isn't for you. move along.
rsp

ariston wrote:
standalone wrote: Do what you want with your personal preferences and let the rest of the people alone.
Sage advice... applicable to everyone but yourself, it seems.

I said I wasn't going to post further, but you people just can't let it lie, can you? I fail to see any part of the initial discussion as "harassment", as you put it. Maybe you can quote the offending passage, and I'll edit it.

The only ones that have started calling names and taking this into personal territory are you, kmonkey and ostfront. And in constantly replying (without actually adding any new insights to the discussion at hand, it must be said), YOU are the ones who are derailing the thread by flogging the meat off of this dead horse.

And now for the inevitable reply.... but hey! Let's see if you CAN follow your own advice, being as pro and mature as you no doubt are. I highly doubt it, though.
Standalone's post contained no names as far as I could tell. Yet here you are calling people out for imagined slights and deciding that anyone who disagrees with your position is the one flogging a dead horse. Anyone for projection?

Let's face it, the anti-dongle thing here started off with one poster decided that by not complying with his preference, Michael's endeavour was an instant FAIL. It wasn't: "y'know, if you didn't have a dongled demo, I'd try it", it was the classic 4Channers-know-best response of FAIL.

The damn thing hasn't been released yet and already it's too expensive, doesn't have a good GUI and has a protection mechanism that will doom it in the market. Not having the benefit of being psychic or clairvoyant, I thought I'd wait until there is actually something to demo. Because I just can't tell whether a GUI has issues with mousewheels or movements simply by looking at a static JPEG. And I have the funny feeling there's a bunch of people who work in post who don't have that big an issue with ilok2.

ariston wrote:And in constantly replying (without actually adding any new insights to the discussion at hand, it must be said), YOU are the ones who are derailing the thread by flogging the meat off of this dead horse.
Really? The thread has been dominated by the topic since at least the 29th (more than 4 days ago now), in many cases by people who have done the same thing in thread after thread, and yet somehow this request that threads stay about the plugin rather than the copy protection is the one derailing it?

Perspective adjustment required.
OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

whyterabbyt wrote: Perspective adjustment required.
No, my perspective is just fine - as fine as you think yours is, I'm sure.

I've been watching threads like these for a few years, and it always seemed to me that it was the dongle-hater-haters that kept these "discussions" going by resorting to personal attacks.

Anyway, I'll leave y'all to it. Really really promise this time, cross my heart. If I post in this thread again, I promise to buy an ilok.

tbh I don't see why a demo cannot be released that doesn't require a dongle.

If the demo was good, and I had use for it, i'd buy the software and the dongle.

It's the fact i'd need to get the damn ilok just to try something I might not like.

Isn't that why the owner of the elicenser Steinberg started doing dongleless demo's for Cubase ? So they'd appeal to more people ?

Why doesn't iLok have a software manager program that can hold demo licenses and not actually need the hardware ? Seems to me iLok are to blame for being so restrictive.

I don't blame the dev at all for wanting to protect his work.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

awkward...

Anyway, I've finally decided not to go the economy route but to buy a few reverbs I really like, Relab, AAR maybe and Exponential if I like it too.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

@Standalone +1
@zvenx, Gamma-UT, Whyterabbyte +1

there's absolutely no justification in the same people, bringing up the same dongle gripe, in every dongle-protected product announcement thread that occurs.
my personal opinion is that a topic this universal should be contained in one thread that exists specifically for it to be discussed. it's one thing to register your interest in the product, but for the dongle, it's another to willfully derail the thread. time after time. Somehow, when a plugin only exists on a single platform, like Windows for example, people manage to express their interest for an OSX version without turning the thread into {yet another} "MAC vs PC" thread. IMO the same restraint, & moderation, needs to be shown for the aged dongle 'debate'

if you must - at least do your petitioning on a freshly created thread for that purpose, and not the main product thread - which should be a useful reference.

imo.

ariston wrote:No, my perspective is just fine - as fine as you think yours is, I'm sure.
my perspective wasn't mentioned; Im only talking about your assertion that somehow standalone's single post asking not to continue the offtopic diversion somehow 'derails' a thread after after five days the ongoing derailing he was posting against.

five days okay, one post, not. perspective adjustment required.
I've been watching threads like these for a few years, and it always seemed to me that it was the dongle-hater-haters that kept these "discussions" going by resorting to personal attacks.
that's particularly interesting you should say that, since you accused standalone of making them despite the fact he hadn't. no personal attacks in his post at all.

that's not a particularly justifiable basis on which to extend your generalisation that this is an ongoing pattern...
OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

I believe I have found the latest in copy protection ...

I think it's possible people pirating music making software might outnumber the people who refuse to buy software that is dongled. I wonder what the numbers are.

In any case, while the dongles are a pain, if the product is amazing (as I'm sure the new reverbs from Michael Carnes will be) I'll load more licenses on dongle cat if I have to :lol:

Return to “Effects”