Anyone else holding of all reverb purchases till Exponential release?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For sure I will demo Phoenix when it comes out (hoping the demo don't need iLok).
Funny, but from the audio demos I was more impressed by Phoenix than the higher-priced R2, but everyone's own taste.

...and if one of them beats your favourite reverb, wouldn't you be tempted ? :wink:

PeterL wrote:
...and if one of them beats your favourite reverb, wouldn't you be tempted ? :wink:
Well, for one thing, I don't even know what that means. It's not like it's a boxing match or something. I've got so many reverb flavours now, including the really-not-so-bad free ones and the one in Live, that I find it increasingly difficult to believe that it matters SO much. It's still "only" a reverb, it's not like it carries the tune. I like to get caught up in detailed listening and comparing sessions as much as the next audio geek, but, in the end, it's just some ambiance sitting in the back of your track. And unless you're doing wispy Ambient or modern German folk music, you'll rarely have need of a dominant reverb.

Note that I'm not discounting the fact that there can be very noticeable tonal and qualitative differences between reverbs, I'm just questioning whether they really matter as much as we like to believe.

Yeah, I'm 100% sure that even I would have the money I wouldn't buy these.

I already have Shimmer, ÜberMod, VRoom, VintageVerb and Uhbik-A. I don't think I need any more flavours of reverb, in fact I think that I maybe already have too many.
I sometimes think "Which reverb should I choose", I always try to avoid thoughts like this, they only cripple my workflow. I have a few dedicated tools for everything which I know really, really well.

Don't get me wrong, I whish the developer all the best! I'm sure these will be great but I already have so many absolutely fantastic reverbs that I simply don't need more.

Cheers
Dennis

ariston wrote:but, in the end, it's just some ambiance sitting in the back of your track.
Couldn't agree less. Au contraire, it's just some track sitting deep inside MY ambiance.

8)

ostfront wrote:
ariston wrote:but, in the end, it's just some ambiance sitting in the back of your track.
Couldn't agree less. Au contraire, it's just some track sitting deep inside MY ambiance.

8)
You must be heavily into modern German folk music, then. ;)

ostfront wrote:

8)
Yeah this is exactly the problem I encounter when talking about it, as a trance producer reverb is not just ambience for me it's a big part of the track.

I have to say in the context of synthesizers ArtsAcoustic reverb sounds phenomenal, it's like an extension of the synth.

It's all too confusing without demos, I have to wait till the demo comes out for Pheonix or R2 to be sure.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Bronto Scorpio wrote:I sometimes think "Which reverb should I choose", I always try to avoid thoughts like this, they only cripple my workflow. I have a few dedicated tools for everything which I know really, really well.
Wise words, Dennis.
Quick workflow for good results is always desired. :tu:

For a long time I thought I'm geared up with reverbs for life time.
I had only SIR2(+Pinguin Impulses), ArtsAcousticReverb and EAReverb in my arsenal in the past, which delivered great results very quickly.
...and now Sean Costello reminded me with ValhallaVintageVerb that there is something different. :tantrum:

I don't say I will buy Phoenix, but nonetheless I will demo it for workflow and sound, so let's see. BTW, sound of reverb means for me -> You have to switch it off to notice that it's there (can't describe better).

No, I bought ValhallaVintageVerb because it's nice and also if I never would use it, it's a pleasure to support such friendly and fine developers.
I always own CSR, all ValhallaReverbs, UAD Plate 140, ArtsAcoustic and own a hardware Lexicon effect unit. But I'm looking forward to some Lexicon or similar reverb plug-ins. Maybe LXP or eventually Exponential Audio in 2013 (Relab ist nice but IMO too expensive and I don't like the GUI).

But I'm not waiting! I have my existing stuff and make music with this _today_... But I have some interest for additional reverbs and I think Exponential Audio could fill the gap between all the other reverbs. I'm interested for an easy interface like Lexicon LXP, Valhalla or 2CAudio Breeze but with a not grainy but also not too lush sound.
Last edited by 4damind on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Exponential demos are very impressive, but why would that preclude buying other products that are also impressive? It really depends if a reverb adds unique magic that I can't get with my current options ... or a different vibe for editing to get there. And when I buy a new unique sound or approach, I won't be abandoning my current reverbs I love either.

Same goes with amp sims, filters and modulation FX ... (however, I'm starting to max out on dynamics and EQ ...hmmm, maybe not) :P

Kevin63101 wrote:but why would that preclude buying other products that are also impressive?
Same goes with amp sims, filters and modulation FX ... (however, I'm starting to max out on dynamics and EQ ...hmmm, maybe not) :P
Just trying to go easy on the spending that's all :)

Trying to find one that has a character I really like and will do the most for me all round.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Exponential Audio reverbs are just exceptional.

I have 5 Lexicon HW reverbs, and I would not choose anything else in the LexLike department except of three units : Relab 480, Exponential Audio, and of course .... Lexicon themselves.

Prices beeing what they are, the Exponential Audio are both exceptional AND wisely priced imho ( And yes they are dongled, this is just the way it is )

I have some other HW reverbs for different needs, and some very nice algorythmic plug ins : like Aether, or the quite underated Art Acoustic one. I also have a couple of fancy ones, but tbh I rarely use them.

But if you're really after the real Lexicon instant flavor, reverb "culture" and knowhow, there are not that much choices.

It might be difficult to explain to people why one becomes one day a Lex addict, be it because you can drive the reverb endlessly without ever sounding muddy, or having audio undesired artefacts, stereo or frequency weirdos interfering with dry, or because of the very relevant set of parameters offered to taylor your reverb etc. Whatever the words you use, it just works for me, and sounds right in the mix. Wich only means here the kind of mixes and production I love. Its one of the "sounds" I've been after for a while in the plug in department, and I'm really happy that Lexicon first, then a few other companies finally investigated these territories.

+ I'll just add that compared to HW units, the visual feedback is a very nice addition. Makes things so much easier to work with :love: :love:

Fwiw,

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Thanks Lotuzia

I just noticed the AA sale, and that they are also working on a new reverb plug-in which the owners of the first reveb will get a discount on.

Given then I really did like AA reverb a lot that might be where I go for now, then later I will evaluate Exponential Audio's reverbs vs LX480 and decide which one I favour.

No problem really, I'll just have to pace myself.
Aiynzahev-sounds

Was going to go for the new Exponential too even despite iLok, but has since dropped the idea. My new year resolution is no more tiresome copy protections, there are good enough alternatives like ArtsAcoustic, Valhalla, 2CAudio etc.

Yeah, I have VRoom, V3, Shimmer, QL Spaces, Aether, Reverberate w Samplecity IR's, UAD EMT 140 & UAD EMT 250. I also have Breeze, CSR, ArtsAcoustic and EOS which I don't use anymore, so I'm done with reverb for a long while. I would like the UAD Lex 224, but it's too expensive, even on sale given everything else I own.

If I had it to do over I would get the Vahalla stuff, QL Spaces, the UAD EMT's and maybe the UAD Lex - pass on everything else.

If I really got backed into a corner, I could live with VRoom, V3, UAD EMT 140 & UAD EMT 250.

QL Spaces (in spite of iLok) is great for orchestral stuff, but I could make do with VRoom.

khollister wrote:If I had it to do over I would get the Vahalla stuff, QL Spaces, the UAD EMT's and maybe the UAD Lex - pass on everything else.

QL Spaces (in spite of iLok) is great for orchestral stuff, but I could make do with VRoom.
I think QL Spaces is really under the radar for the way it just melts with the sound.

I actually like the ArtsAcoustic one but just for some tasks (like thick kick reverb). VRoom and Eos are good also epecially for high hats and sfx but I prefer Ircam Verb as a bus verb.

I like that I can make a space with Verb that can suite any number of tasks as well as create special fx using automation.

Just curious did you ever got the chance to compare the EMpTy Room Systems 250 with the UAD 250 one?

I found it so good on percussion and other sounds and I was amazed by the way it just creates a sensation of real space.

As for the Relab one I think it is also amazing but seeing the price was a major turnoff (I mean Verb can go circles around this for my needs and was a half the price during the sale).

Return to “Effects”