Cthulhu looks interesting.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not Logic, but I got Cthulhu running fine in DP 7.24, which is also AU only (DP 8 is AU + VST). The trick with IAC MIDI is well explained in the Cthulhu manual in the Logic chapter, but they seem to have forgotten that DP ≤ version 7 is also exclusively AU.

Being met by a Cthulhu alert in DP saying "You should be using VST!" isn't very helpful…

Anyway, the trick is to just select Multi Record in the DP Studio menu and select the highest IAC bus as input to your virtual instrument you want fed by Cthulhu.

Fun arpeggiator! I haven't even started with the chords part yet. And great value for money.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Well I took the plunge and...

Doesn't work. Well for starters I'm having trouble routing Cthulhu correctly. I don't know how to do that in Studio One. This isn't the problem however.

It crashes almost right away. First time my whole computer crashed and I had to restart. Next try but it crashes again, fortunately only Studio One this time.

And presets doesn't show like ezelkow said so it's completely useless atm.

Because there is no demo I assume that I get my money back. I'm going to army in few days and don't have to time to struggle with unworking software. Too bad because I really like the concept. Maybe I buy this in the future.

I reported the preset thing and crashes in the forum, steve's very quick on fixes usually so Im sure it will get fixed soon. Others said they have the same issue in s1, and a cubase user said they also had preset issues

ezelkow1 wrote:I reported the preset thing and crashes in the forum, steve's very quick on fixes usually so Im sure it will get fixed soon
Okay cool. Maybe I should wait then. In the meantime could somebody tell me how to route this thing in S1.

You drop it on a new track, then on whatever track you want to have take its input from cthulhu you click on its input area on the left. Sort of hard to explain, if you have a midi keyboard hooked up you should see that under the name of the instrument on the left. If you click in that area you should see that it can take its input from cthulhu

Id be careful with it in s1 though, whenever I enable chord mode with the arp I get a hang pretty easily, but this is on windows, not sure if mac has the same issue

I have it up and running in the Ableton 9 beta (32 and 64bit versons). Runs like a champ! You do have to route it's MIDI around (it doesn't function like a MIDI effect, but rather an instrument), but it has a little polyphonic saw output by default just in case you want to preview a chord or arp without routing.

If you've ever used Nerve, the arp section will be familiar. For myself, it's FAR more functional than most of the arp / sequencer plugins I've tried. Reading the manual is absolutely required, especially for some of the finer arp functions and mechanics. The interface is perfect for workflow, but not heavy on explanations. It's incredibly cool to set up different graph lengths for different sections. IE, you have have the arp playing three notes, but have the gating be done on a bar, while having the harmony be on another length. The per-note "late" function I found neat too.

The chord learning functions are cool, but I haven't dove in to making my own intricate preset yet. Loading up a preset tapping out some organized chords is pretty fun for some experimenting; it's already given me some harmony and chord blending ideas I haven't thought of in the past. The "chord learning" is pretty awesome if you're not a dexterous pianist/keyboardist, but know enough theory to play. I can build my own chord structures in, and then play them with one button each. There are other options to shift from major, to minor and to suspended, or to sort based on root note or through hindemith analysis, which I haven't seen before.

Overall, I'm super pleased with the purchase. Abletons arp / chord combo was starting to get a bit old for me, and for $39 bucks, this should provide some cheap inspiration and advanced utility. :)

Anyone know how to get this to work in Reaper 4? Tried to control a synth with it but just get a sine tone. Checked the manual - no Reaper walkthru.

Usually I just insert an arp that I want to use to control a synth in its own track and then send the midi signal to a synth on another track. Couldn't get this to work. :?

It also crashed Reaper. :( Great idea but confusing.

Ah, I guess I should have known there was already a thread. Simply an in for now as I'm always interested in this stuff, questions to follow :hihi:

munchkin wrote:Anyone know how to get this to work in Reaper 4? Tried to control a synth with it but just get a sine tone. Checked the manual - no Reaper walkthru.

Usually I just insert an arp that I want to use to control a synth in its own track and then send the midi signal to a synth on another track. Couldn't get this to work. :?

It also crashed Reaper. :( Great idea but confusing.
Just tried it here, and yea it worked like every other arp plugin. I just put it in line before another, diva in this case, and it worked as expected. Just make sure to load up a chord or arp preset first

The preset folder goes in the base folder of your VSTs (not sure how/if the AU picks it up)

Cool. But there is no demo?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Ah, a quick read through makes me certain it's not for me! :phew: (I almost broke my no vst for 2013 rule STRAIGHT away :hihi: )

I'd like to try it, it looks very interesting to me. What I'd like to know is can the different arps be used individually to trigger different instruments on separate tracks, ie. use Cthulhu on one track, trigger the chords from there, and then have it manage arps driving several other tracks. Anyhow, $39 isn't that steep to take a chance without a demo, but I'd like to hear as much about it from people who have taken the plunge as possible. How does it compare to Pattern Arp Plus?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

hueynym wrote:The preset folder goes in the base folder of your VSTs (not sure how/if the AU picks it up)
Same principle for AU - just drop a copy of the Presets folder into your Components folder.

This is a deep and intriguing tool - exploring it with the manual open is a good idea, I've noticed. :wink:

/Joachim

braj wrote:I'd like to try it, it looks very interesting to me. What I'd like to know is can the different arps be used individually to trigger different instruments on separate tracks, ie. use Cthulhu on one track, trigger the chords from there, and then have it manage arps driving several other tracks. Anyhow, $39 isn't that steep to take a chance without a demo…[snip]
Because there's no demo, I think it might be a smart move by Steve to at least make the manual downloadable from Xferrecords.

/Joachim

Return to “Effects”