Cthulhu looks interesting.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,
It does look interesting to me too. I hope they release a trial version, if only to test the functionality in my host. Most (all so far) of these arp style plugins don't function in Orion, and there doesnt' seem to be any effort to change that on the developer's part. Crying or Very sad
A demo is indeed planned, I need to be a little conservative and say it will be about a week.
If anybody gets Cthulhu running in Logic, post here. I would normally buy anything XFER right away, but these kinds of plugs usually don't work in Logic well, or at all, or take some Environment hacking isn't always a great experience.
Here is the manual: http://www.xferrecords.com/duda/Cthulhu_Manual_v1_0.pdf

there are two methods to route MIDI in Logic. I would certainly agree it is clunky, since AU doesn't have a MIDI out mechanism. I've tried to make it the best I can, timestamping the MIDI packets so they arrive back to logic "on time" (delayed realtime, due to the way sound processes, but record in the correct place when printing your audio, +/- 1 tick usually)

The "fast" procedure is outlined second in the manual (add Cthulhu to an instrument track, and record-enable a different Instrument track with your destination synth). This method is simple and fine, except you can't "play" Cthulhu at this point (you have to use the piano roll). The other option (so you can play Cthulhu and have the MIDI get to another track) is outlined first in the manual, but it indeed takes about 7 mouseclicks and 2 keystrokes, which isn't ideal, but not terrible once you've done it a few times.
A video demo would be essential IMHO
Indeed. Its on the way, will be up this weekend!
Next try but it crashes again, fortunately only Studio One this time.
I haven't seen any crashes, I will certainly try to re-create this. My guess is a MIDI feedback loop (if the output of Cthulhu is routing to the input). I will be spending tomorrow trying to create any issues I can, if you have any way to recreate a crash with steps, I can locate and solve the problem!

As for the preset issue in Win x64, I'm pretty sure I know the cause of this (build issue), and will try to resolve it in the next several hours, so check the Cthulhu forum!
What I'd like to know is can the different arps be used individually to trigger different instruments on separate tracks, ie. use Cthulhu on one track, trigger the chords from there, and then have it manage arps driving several other tracks.
Cthulhu plays one arp at-a-time though it holds 12 different pattern-sets in memory at once (in one preset). Driving several other tracks as in a Synth Layer, well, this specific routing depends on the host. I'd be happy to try and clarify further but I'm not completely sure what you're going for and what host you use.
This is a deep and intriguing tool - exploring it with the manual open is a good idea, I've noticed.
Thanks for the nice words!

welly welly. Ok, with a demo, I might break my NYR. (now how many others are saying that :hihi: )

bitcrusher wrote:
Next try but it crashes again, fortunately only Studio One this time.
I haven't seen any crashes, I will certainly try to re-create this. My guess is a MIDI feedback loop (if the output of Cthulhu is routing to the input). I will be spending tomorrow trying to create any issues I can, if you have any way to recreate a crash with steps, I can locate and solve the problem!
I get this every time with studio one. This is what I have setup:

I just tried it on the s1 32bit on a different pc and it works fine there, so not sure yet if its a 64bit thing only or a thing related to my setup. Works fine in ableton and reaper here though

hibidy wrote:I might break my NYR. (now how many others are saying that :hihi: )
I didn't make one. :phew: So there! :P

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

bitcrusher wrote:Cthulhu plays one arp at-a-time though it holds 12 different pattern-sets in memory at once (in one preset). Driving several other tracks as in a Synth Layer, well, this specific routing depends on the host. I'd be happy to try and clarify further but I'm not completely sure what you're going for and what host you use.
I think that clarifies it for me, I was hoping it would be like an 8 in 1 arp engine that would show up as 8 midi outs to be used as inputs in a VSTi on another track. I use Live BTW and am eager to get my hands on the demo. Thanks for posting the link to the manual, I'll check it out.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

hibidy wrote:welly welly. Ok, with a demo, I might break my NYR. (now how many others are saying that :hihi: )
Despite my s1 prob, I am loving it, thankfully Im mostly an ableton guy anyway. It is definite instant inspiration. Having ~200 chord sets all pre-mapped to keys, basically just screw around and you always end up with something that sounds good. Then throw on the arp and just start playing around. I also have arp and vortex and while I love those, especially for the random generators, cthulhu feels very much more like instant gratification

Spitfire31 wrote:
hibidy wrote:I might break my NYR. (now how many others are saying that :hihi: )
I didn't make one. :phew: So there! :P

/Joachim
haha! very nice!

I get this every time with studio one. This is what I have setup:
I think I've tracked this down, I think it has to do with MIDI feedback loop (but I'm running some more tests). (but not quite sure why that is happening though inside Studio One)

I also fixed the x64 preset issue, [edit] but unfortunately this crash isn't what I thought it was and not yet tracked down... should be solved tomorrow though.
Last edited by bitcrusher on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Couldn't someone who bought it quickly make a simple demo showing what you can do with it? No need for anything fancy. Just a quick demo would be nice.

Although 40 bucks isn't anything to be grinchy about - I have way way way too many cheap plugs that I bought on impulse and never use, and now when I'm saving all I can to buy an A&H R16 I'm holding hard on my money.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I was actually going to post one earlier but some of my automation didnt get recorded so it sounded very boring just cause of the preset i was using. I might try it again tomorrow

ezelkow1 wrote:I was actually going to post one earlier but some of my automation didnt get recorded so it sounded very boring just cause of the preset i was using. I might try it again tomorrow
Boring is the new cool :lol:

Seriously though - if you get the time to whip up anything I'l be happier than Cartman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OFkMzo7-n0
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Steve will be putting up some video demos soon, so hold on.
Music you can believe in:
http://rebshaya.com

The 64bit plugin of Cthulhu has some problems with Studio One 64bit for win.
So I used Jbridge. The 32bit Cthulhu is no problem.
The presets does show and doesn't crash.
I hope that xfer will fix the 64bit version of Cthulhu.

An important aspect when buying a complex piece of software is support.

I'm frankly amazed at the immediacy and efficacy of Steve's support, when I had a minor issue just now.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Kenit wrote: I hope that xfer will fix the 64bit version of Cthulhu.
x64 Win is fixed! (less I curse myself by saying so)
update (1.01 beta) is now in the Cthulhu forum for reg'd users on www.xferrecords.com

Formal video will be up this weekend, I'll try to get a less formal one made tomorrow!

-Steve

Return to “Effects”