36%
I will never buy a dongled product, whatever good I think a product might be
50%
I only use freeware, so dongles are the least of my concerns
3%

Total votes: 236

RELATED
PRODUCTS

quantum7 wrote:It seems so unreasonable that someone would pass on software that would serve them well just because they refuse to stick something up their USB port.... :-o
supposedly serve them well.. until the ilok takes a dump or gets stolen/broken/lost etc and they can't play the gig/mix the track etc and have to get temp licenses, buy a new ilok, pay some fees etc etc...
quantum7 wrote:It would seem unlikely that a working professional would refuse to use a dongle if it meant passing on really good software that would make their working life easier- I certainly do not know of any professional musicians like that. :?
i know several. many of them successful. some sound designers too. a lot of people refuse to use iloks and pace and dongles etc.

this isn't a pro vs hobbyist thing. that argument doesn't work.. but i'm sure ilok would love it if people thought ilok was for pros...
Last edited by dayjob on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantum7 wrote:It seems so unreasonable that someone would pass on software that would serve them well just because they refuse to stick something up their USB port....
No... there a "reasonable" arguments for both sides, which you'd know if you had read at least some of this thread.

It's a competitive and varied market, so it's not like the refusal to buy dongled software is tantamount to missing out on something entirely unique.

There's one exception to this, of course: the biggest dongle was, is, and very likely will be hardware (at least for the near future).

Lotuzia wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Market research?
I think this thread will be at least interesting for those who have this approach, yes. Eventually usefull. Hopefully it will be interesting for a lot more people.
Sure, maybe someone will find useful.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

quantum7 wrote:It seems so unreasonable that someone would pass on software that would serve them well just because they refuse to stick something up their USB port.... :-o Seriously though, I could be wrong, but it would seem like this would mostly pertain to hobbyists. It would seem unlikely that a working professional would refuse to use a dongle if it meant passing on really good software that would make their working life easier- I certainly do not know of any professional musicians like that. :?
I think that this is only somewhat true. It's probably an attitude that is relict of the past like the dongle itself. Once there was a time when Waves was the only professional high quality plugin maker and If you were a pro, you had no choice. Waves used the iLok and that was it, people had to put up with it. Dongle protection was kind of sign of professional software, as dongles originally were made for very expensive engineering, 3D modelling and CAD software. And if you did professional work, paying Pace the 24h insurance fees or emergency fees was just part of running business. Alternative was to use cracked versions.

But these days things have changed considerably. There are plenty of high quality plugins out there that have much user friendlier protection. Moreover, even Waves has dropped iLok (though you can use dongle style protection with generic usb stick), and this has been welcomed enthusiastically everywhere including professional magazines.
No signature here!

quantum7 wrote:It seems so unreasonable that someone would pass on software that would serve them well just because they refuse to stick something up their USB port.... :-o Seriously though, I could be wrong, but it would seem like this would mostly pertain to hobbyists. It would seem unlikely that a working professional would refuse to use a dongle if it meant passing on really good software that would make their working life easier- I certainly do not know of any professional musicians like that. :?
I agree totally. I have never heard a professional say "I passed on the Lexicon 480L because it took up too much space in my rack."

robotmonkey wrote:Once there was a time when Waves was the only professional high quality plugin maker and If you were a pro, you had no choice. Waves used the iLok and that was it, people had to put up with it.
Actually, back in those days they used a HASP LPT port dongle. Those days ended a long time ago.

ruslan.st wrote:
Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote: A system specific keyfile or C/R authorization protects both the software and YOUR investment and liability far better.

We don't make our users 'beg' for more authorizations if they run out. Tech Support is very accomodating with refreshing users with 5 new authorizations in the rare event that they run out.
I think you can see that very few users will run out of authorizations before AmpliTube 4 is out anyway.
There is nothing special in IK copy protection scheme to be so proud of it. Or is it just for buzz about next version of AT?
No, AmpliTube 4 is a long way off. That was my point. Your authorizations will last until even then without needing to hit up Tech Support for more.

I disagree with your notion that our C/R is nothing to be proud of. It is simple, quick, and hassle-free, and it allows you to easily unlock all the gear in your Custom rig at once by entering a single serial number that is authorized through your own secure User Account. And I expect it to get even easier in the future.

The only thing I don't like about C/R is that it is not always reliable with previous auths. There have been some occasions where you run out of auths, but it's the SAME COMPUTER! :x

Now in most case that isn't it, but still begging for auths in that situation is a bit strange.

dayjob wrote:
quantum7 wrote:It seems so unreasonable that someone would pass on software that would serve them well just because they refuse to stick something up their USB port.... :-o
supposedly serve them well.. until the ilok takes a dump or gets stolen/broken/lost etc and they can't play the gig/mix the track etc and have to get temp licenses, buy a new ilok, pay some fees etc etc...
quantum7 wrote:It would seem unlikely that a working professional would refuse to use a dongle if it meant passing on really good software that would make their working life easier- I certainly do not know of any professional musicians like that. :?
i know several. many of them successful. some sound designers too. a lot of people refuse to use iloks and pace and dongles etc.

this isn't a pro vs hobbyist thing. that argument doesn't work.. but i'm sure ilok would love it if people thought ilok was for pros...
All choices are valid in se, however I dont know a single professional musician who choose this solution : Loosing the opportunity to get some instruments/effects because there are dongled. THis is only ime of course. I find myself using dongles because of the same approach : I prefer to have the widest choice regarding instruments, but I also of course use products protected with C/R, and serials.

The you're right, its not a strict pros vs hobbyists thing, because I also know a bunch of hobbyists who use dongles as well, and dont care about it : They just dont want to be limited n the choice of instruments.

A drummer have a big dongle, its his drumkit. Same with a Cbass player. Thus there are still drummers, or cbass players, thought playing triangle might be seen as a better opportunity in an orchestra ( Except if you play in an "Hair" cover show, and have to play nude on stage of course, in this case the Cbass can be more handy ... )

Choice and liberty I think are the keywords here, there are indeed good instruments and effects in both dongle and non dongled field : This doesnt mean that one can be replaced by another one though : There are all unique.

This is the point with "software", "guis", and "spec sheets" : people tend to think that two softsynths with similar "spec sheets" will sound nearly identical, while everyone knows that a Juno 60 will sound different for a Minimoog. The fact that these are not real "physical objects" tend to blur the differences ( after all its all software, 0 and 1s ).

But regardless of the fact they are dongled, or not, softsynths, for example, do sound different one form each other. Hence maybe why the terms liberty, and freedom of choice might be valid. YMMV.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

hibidy wrote:The only thing I don't like about C/R is that it is not always reliable with previous auths. There have been some occasions where you run out of auths, but it's the SAME COMPUTER! :x

Now in most case that isn't it, but still begging for auths in that situation is a bit strange.
The only thing I dont like about C/R is that the only two majr software I cant install anymore ARE c/r protected. They were quite pricey, and released by companies, like Tascam, you could think were robust enough to remain in business for a long time.

Then, one day or another, my beloved Kore 2 will be obsolete too, another C/R product released by a BIG company : NI. Just because NI decided it will not get updated, maintained etc.

Atm nothing like this happened with any of my dongled instruments. I would not say it cant happen. Just not yet. Same with serials : Nothing can guarantee me that any instrument will still be valid under Windows 11, or Mac GreatPanda future OS.

THis is imho the main difference between sw and hw : My Arp Odyssey will probaly still work in 20 years. What about all my beloved softsynths ?

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:
Choice and liberty I think are the keywords here, there are indeed good instruments and effects in both dongle and non dongled field : This doesnt mean that one can be replaced by another one though : There are all unique.
It all depends on what you mean by "replace" - if what you want is to get the song done and onto tape/hard disk, then the little differences some people like to sweat over really don't matter THAT much. Is this a better Pultec emulation than that one? Does this synth come 0.1% closer to the "real" Moog sound? Is that limiter really that much more transparent than the other limiter? Is my reverb lush enough?

I'm not saying there aren't differences, I'm questioning whether they're that relevant anymore. Put broadly, if you want to get a high-quality ITB recording in 2013, you don't NEED dongled software at all.

ariston wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
It all depends on what you mean by "replace" - if what you want is to get the song done and onto tape/hard disk, then the little differences some people like to sweat over really don't matter THAT much. Is this a better Pultec emulation than that one? Does this synth come 0.1% closer to the "real" Moog sound? Is that limiter really that much more transparent than the other limiter? Is my reverb lush enough?

I'm not saying there aren't differences, I'm questioning whether they're that relevant anymore. Put broadly, if you want to get a high-quality ITB recording in 2013, you don't NEED dongled software at all.
Yes Ariston, you can do good music with non dongled software. Thats what I pointed out also. ( Imho even with strictly freeware software ).

But this is not my idea, and this is equally not related to "the best emulation of this or that" ( Because one could prefer a bad emulation, but sounding better to his ears actually ) .

My idea is just that you cant replace certain Xils3 modular patches, or certain NI Massive patches, to take exemples of both dongled and non dongled synths, by ANOTHER synth, AND get the same results. Because these synths have unique possibilities, and a unique sound.

This is what I call liberty of choice, and freedom to choose the instruments that fit the best your taste, and serve your music.

Lets transpose in the piano or drums field : A digital piano is more handy than a real piano, and electronic pads are certainly better to transport than a Sonor kit. Thus people can choose to use this or that according to their taste, needs, way they see their music. Theres no rule that can be found that says ' this or that is better', especially because it would be much easier to use, transport, etc ( hence the dongle analogy )

Different units, different results, different music, different tastes : Freedom, like in music = diversity = life.

Well, all this can be debatted, but this is merely the way I see it.

i like my dongles functional and aesthetically pleasing.

vurt wrote:i like my dongles functional and aesthetically pleasing.
you can't replace those, sadly.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Return to “Effects”