36%
I will never buy a dongled product, whatever good I think a product might be
50%
I only use freeware, so dongles are the least of my concerns
3%

Total votes: 236

RELATED
PRODUCTS

How about releasing non-dongled versions a year or so after release (of dongled versions)?
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:How about releasing non-dongled versions a year or so after release (of dongled versions)?
i imagine it's not that easy. usually, dongle code gets wrapped around lots of function calls (so to make it harder to crack, i presume). which means that getting rid of that code is not a trivial task and actually a major undertaking.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

removed
Last edited by JJ_Jettflow on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I have cursed them, when I read a review and get interested and finally see the iLoco word. But I'm sure I could be convinced to change my mind by the right software.

Quietinthedark wrote:I have cursed them, when I read a review and get interested and finally see the iLoco word. But I'm sure I could be convinced to change my mind by the right software.
...which you will never be able to try without having an iLok in first place :hihi:
Cowbells!

the only bad thing with dongles is the space and the number of slots on a usb hub, they need. dongles are much better than challenge/response. you can take them with you and use them on one computer at one time. anyway i don't like them, because they remind me, how crazy the world and the people are.

:nutter: :tantrum: :hihi:
"It dreamed itself along"

JJ_Jettflow wrote:PACE (iLok's parent company) started back in the mid 80's to address software piracy in in the commercial and industrial sectors; the home computing sector was so small at that time, it was insignificant.

PACE protected high-priced software from multiple use in the business and manufacturing sectors where programs like MasterCAM cost companies over $12,000.00 per license. Obviously, at that price, the temptation to use multiple copies was and still is great and PACE's stringent rules about replacement, loss and single licenses made and still make sense.

But today, to the home user of PACE protected products that cost a couple of hundred dollars, these rules seem Draconian and inconveniencing, especially once there is a mishap and the customer is forced into dealing with a bloated, uncaring company like PACE. Like me, most people do not complain about dongle protection until there is a problem and then there is a great tendency to have a much different attitude.

I have no problem using dongle protection, provided there is easy access to a backup in an emergency situation. Until there is though, I will minimize the risk to my investments by avoiding, single-license, no backup, dongle-protected software.
Thanks for this pîece of history :tu:

It offers some elements to still another approach.

Then like I said, some companies are very friendly with people having issues with their dongles. Cant speak for all but well ...

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

mellotronaut wrote:the only bad thing with dongles is the space and the number of slots on a usb hub, they need. dongles are much better than challenge/response. you can take them with you and use them on one computer at one time. anyway i don't like them, because they remind me, how crazy the world and the people are.

:nutter: :tantrum: :hihi:
Chris, do you know the place where Franco lost his dongle ? :wink: :hihi:

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

dalor wrote:
Quietinthedark wrote:I have cursed them, when I read a review and get interested and finally see the iLoco word. But I'm sure I could be convinced to change my mind by the right software.
...which you will never be able to try without having an iLok in first place :hihi:
Not always true : For example some Xils synths are dongled ..... BUT ....

The demos versions are not :)

Maybe some other companies do this too. (??)

Lotuzia wrote:
Thanks for this pîece of history :tu:

It offers some elements to still another approach.

Then like I said, some companies are very friendly with people having issues with their dongles. Cant speak for all but well ...

LtZ
removed
Last edited by JJ_Jettflow on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not charmed by dongles, because they can get lost or broken and they use USB-ports. Yet I do prefer them over C/R protection. If a company goes out of business you can't activate your software anymore with C/R. With a global economy slowing down chances are increasing that one day you can't get a response code.
That's why I only buy software with less risky copy protection mechanisms, UNLESS I really really want it.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

I bump this just to use to space to rant.

F@3## ILOK:
My ilok 1 ceased to work and I have a show in one week.
I mean I hate the idea of having to pay for someone else's safety of investment but when they offer me to pay 100 dollars to have temporary licences while waiting for my brand new ilok2 that I'll have to pay 50 dollars, I just want to eat someone alive.

tanabarbier wrote:I bump this just to use to space to rant.

F@3## ILOK:
My ilok 1 ceased to work and I have a show in one week.
I mean I hate the idea of having to pay for someone else's safety of investment but when they offer me to pay 100 dollars to have temporary licences while waiting for my brand new ilok2 that I'll have to pay 50 dollars, I just want to eat someone alive.
yep. exactly.

JJ_Jettflow wrote: I have no problem using dongle protection, provided there is easy access to a backup in an emergency situation. Until there is though, I will minimize the risk to my investments by avoiding, single-license, no backup, dongle-protected software.

I think I better understand people's hate for dongles now. It's not the fact of having to buy one it's the fact that one day the thing may break and BAM there goes acess to programs you paid for!

100% agreed on the sentiments about the iLok and iLok 2 being pieces of plastic junk. Seriously my $15 Kingston USB stick has a metal protector how come the iLok doesn't? And SanDisk used to make (still does) an extremely rugged USB stick that you could step on and it wouldn't break.

If PACE had solid drivers (lots of bad stories about that) and a rugged piece of hardware...hell give people the OPTION for a physically rugged iLok...then there would be a lot less dongle haters.

AudioGuy720 wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote: I have no problem using dongle protection, provided there is easy access to a backup in an emergency situation. Until there is though, I will minimize the risk to my investments by avoiding, single-license, no backup, dongle-protected software.

I think I better understand people's hate for dongles now. It's not the fact of having to buy one it's the fact that one day the thing may break and BAM there goes acess to programs you paid for!

100% agreed on the sentiments about the iLok and iLok 2 being pieces of plastic junk. Seriously my $15 Kingston USB stick has a metal protector how come the iLok doesn't? And SanDisk used to make (still does) an extremely rugged USB stick that you could step on and it wouldn't break.

If PACE had solid drivers (lots of bad stories about that) and a rugged piece of hardware...hell give people the OPTION for a physically rugged iLok...then there would be a lot less dongle haters.
that's only part of it.

i hate dongles. . traveling w/them, playing live w/them, worrying about them breaking or being stolen etc. they're just unfriendly to me.

Return to “Effects”