36%
I will never buy a dongled product, whatever good I think a product might be
50%
I only use freeware, so dongles are the least of my concerns
3%

Total votes: 236

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd love to try Cubase and I'd love to try Xils 3, but I won't touch either until they don't require a hardware lock.

It seems there's no hope for Steinberg, but I wonder if some day Xils may find enlightenment.

I've found so many marvelous dongle-free effects that I don't think dongles are holding me back at all there. They aren't really holding me back on synths either, as I've got more to play with than time to play. And I'm quite happy with Live and Logic, so I don't really need Cubase anyway; I'm just curious, as I've read good things.

So I guess dongles are a GAS reducer for me. I should be thankful.

I bought Brainworx meter last night. I almost didn't consider it, as there are iLok mentions on their web site, but it seems that they dropped the technology when they joined the Plugin Alliance. Great move.

Sorry I know this is not a new thread, but there goes my thoughts anyway:

* I have OCD about having unnecessary s*** on my mac, so there's nothing I hate more than having to install a company specific (and often buggy) license manager for a plugin. Like: Native Instruments, IK Multimedia. With iLok I just have to install 1 driver and the plugins.

* It's virtually impossible for me to remember all my mails, users and password from my differents accounts, (specially when I have to use 4 passwords at my office and I have to change them every month...damn), so it's a PITA every time I have to install or reinstall a plugin. With iLok I just have to remember 1 user name and password.

* I often sell my plugins, and with vendors like NI you have to reach customer service and wait for a couple of days for them to de-authorize the plugin. My iLok license transfers have been quick and smooth.

HOWEVER, saying that the iLok is a comfortable solution for my particular situation, doesn't mean that it's a good solution for other problems.

Whoever claims that dongles are a good solution for copy protection is pretty much joking, having much of the most popular iLok software available in google.

And with new Apple stupid policies of decreasing USB ports in exchange for useless thunderbolt ports (at least for the moment), leave me with just two USB ins, one for my iLok and one for my Apogee Duet, which leaves me without midi for my hardware synth or an ugly usb hub (or of course a 300 USD Thunderbolt hub). Thank god I don't need an eLicenser.

And be sure: piracy won't be stopped by a dongle or any other method, just by proper education by parents.

wesleyt wrote:I'd love to try Cubase and I'd love to try Xils 3, but I won't touch either until they don't require a hardware lock.

It seems there's no hope for Steinberg, but I wonder if some day Xils may find enlightenment.

I've found so many marvelous dongle-free effects that I don't think dongles are holding me back at all there. They aren't really holding me back on synths either, as I've got more to play with than time to play. And I'm quite happy with Live and Logic, so I don't really need Cubase anyway; I'm just curious, as I've read good things.

So I guess dongles are a GAS reducer for me. I should be thankful.

I bought Brainworx meter last night. I almost didn't consider it, as there are iLok mentions on their web site, but it seems that they dropped the technology when they joined the Plugin Alliance. Great move.
Thanks Wesleyt,

I'd suggest you try the Xils 3LE, or Xils Oxium, or all the Xils effect line, that are not dongle protected.

There are a lot of dongle-free good effects, or synths. And there are a lot of good dongled synths, and effects. People who dont care much about dongles have access to a wider choice, that all. I use Cubase, but in its PC days I used Logic. And I'd probably make the switch again if Logic was to come back on PCs one day. Or not. So much time has passed. I recently purchased studio one pro, I hope this will broaden my choice. Due to the complicated c/r install process, I still did not install it though :dog: . If it were on a dongle, this would probably have been done already.

But I will install it. Just a bit lazy those days :oops:

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Le Daniele wrote:Sorry I know this is not a new thread, but there goes my thoughts anyway:

* I have OCD about having unnecessary s*** on my mac, so there's nothing I hate more than having to install a company specific (and often buggy) license manager for a plugin. Like: Native Instruments, IK Multimedia. With iLok I just have to install 1 driver and the plugins.

* It's virtually impossible for me to remember all my mails, users and password from my differents accounts, (specially when I have to use 4 passwords at my office and I have to change them every month...damn), so it's a PITA every time I have to install or reinstall a plugin. With iLok I just have to remember 1 user name and password.

* I often sell my plugins, and with vendors like NI you have to reach customer service and wait for a couple of days for them to de-authorize the plugin. My iLok license transfers have been quick and smooth.

HOWEVER, saying that the iLok is a comfortable solution for my particular situation, doesn't mean that it's a good solution for other problems.

Whoever claims that dongles are a good solution for copy protection is pretty much joking, having much of the most popular iLok software available in google.

And with new Apple stupid policies of decreasing USB ports in exchange for useless thunderbolt ports (at least for the moment), leave me with just two USB ins, one for my iLok and one for my Apogee Duet, which leaves me without midi for my hardware synth or an ugly usb hub (or of course a 300 USD Thunderbolt hub). Thank god I don't need an eLicenser.

And be sure: piracy won't be stopped by a dongle or any other method, just by proper education by parents.
Its true that the decreasing number of USB ports on the Macs might be a problem in the future. :? As abandon of the DVD etc. Thanks for mentioning this.

Note : Ilok2 has never been cra_ked until now. Then some Ilok 1 and Elicencer units have still not been cra_ed either. Or ket's say : not properly. Its not because you can find some units on the internet that these units will actually work properly. But this is another debate.

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Le Daniele wrote: * It's virtually impossible for me to remember all my mails, users and password from my differents accounts,
You know they've invented the pencil and paper...........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I forgot about the external dvd! Which by the way it's also kinda useless because for some strange bug, can't import warner music cds to itunes. And it's not compatible with Apple TV. Damn.

Sorry, I just had to take it out of my chest. Back on topic.

I don't have a problem with using an ilok, but what I do have a problem with is having to pay out money for it. I think they they should be included with your first ilok necessary purchase. I won't buy one on principle. Now that might change if I find something I absolutely have to have, but I've always been able to find an alternative that doesn't require one.

And I don't know if it's still the case, but didn't you also have to pay extra if you wanted 24h up-time, incase something happened to your ilok? So basically you pay extra for copy protection and then pay extra to make sure your purchase that requires the ilok works all the time. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Teksonik wrote:
Le Daniele wrote: * It's virtually impossible for me to remember all my mails, users and password from my differents accounts,
You know they've invented the pencil and paper...........

My post was clearly specified as a big IMHO and to be valid just for my very specific case (or someone who could share my quirks) and I actually said that a dongle might not be a solution for most people.

I think I did a good job at keeping my post very neutral and objective but I guess this is kinda of a Mac vs PC, Logic vs Protools, Soft vs Hardware or my personal favorite (and sadly extinct) Microkorg vs Micron battle. :hihi:

Anyways, it would actually be more difficult for me to NOT lose info on paper.

Yet you manage not to lose your dongle ? :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:Yet you manage not to lose your dongle ? :P
Well I never take it off my lap (probably for the same reason). And the longest way my lap has to travel it's from my desk to my bed, so It should have a long and happy life. :hihi:

I don't worry about dongles too much. I don't really have a choice, since I need them for Cubase and ProTools testing. I have some nice iLok2 plugins which makes it totally worth it. I got an internal/external USB adapter which allows me to keep them safely secured inside my DAW.

NO dongles ilok or otherwise.

I'd like Echoboy and the Lexicon reverbs, but I won't consider them any further because of the ilok requirement.

I already have enough usb crap.. to the point where I had to get a hub to host it all. I'm not buying another just to help someone protect their intellectual property. That is there business-related problem, not mine.

Le Daniele wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Yet you manage not to lose your dongle ? :P
Well I never take it off my lap (probably for the same reason). And the longest way my lap has to travel it's from my desk to my bed, so It should have a long and happy life. :hihi:
Just wait until you accidentally bump it into something - it'll snap right into pieces. Then you wish you had used pencil and paper. 8) :hihi:
No signature here!

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:I don't worry about dongles too much.
I don't worry about them at all.....I simply refuse to use them or do business with any company that requires them....... :shrug:

VitaminD wrote: I'm not buying another just to help someone protect their intellectual property. That is there business-related problem, not mine.
Bingo. That sums up my position as well. :tu:

Return to “Effects”