why not analog-style limiters?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

its funny - Im searching for dedicated analogue limiter plugin many years...today when I ve almost lost all my hope /also becouse of this thread/ I have accidentally found this:

http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=dmite

suddenly it looks like happyend - its so much better than everything I have tested so far :love: ...nobody knows or use this plugin? really?...if yes then I can highly recommend it to all interested in this kind of plugin... :)

kritikon wrote:No. I think it's you who won't accept what an analogue limiter actually is. But here we go around again.

...THat's all a limiter is in the analogue world - a compressor. He won't listen though.
@midnight went over this already (and yes, you are looping now too).

I'm not going to go search for the page, but he provided at least 3-4 links to very new analog limiters that claim to perform brick wall style limiting to the point that (according to the manufacturers) they can serve as analog replacements for current software limiters. The claim is also made that they are less destructive to the audio quality (i.e. more transparent, musical, etc.)
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

kvaca wrote:its funny - Im searching for dedicated analogue limiter plugin many years...today when I ve almost lost all my hope /also becouse of this thread/ I have accidentally found this:

suddenly it looks like happyend - its so much better than everything I have tested so far :love: ...nobody knows or use this plugin? really?...if yes then I can highly recommend it to all interested in this kind of plugin... :)
Looks cool, but be aware that the Dynamite has been around quite a while and I think it's looked on as kind of a quirky piece of gear. May not really be what you are looking for, but give it a try.

See this thread:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end ... -good.html
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

A.M. Gold wrote:
kvaca wrote:its funny - Im searching for dedicated analogue limiter plugin many years...today when I ve almost lost all my hope /also becouse of this thread/ I have accidentally found this:

Looks cool, but be aware that the Dynamite has been around quite a while and I think it's looked on as kind of a quirky piece of gear. May not really be what you are looking for, but give it a try.

See this thread:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end ... -good.html
you are right - Its old and more on the vintage-punchy side but I still prefer what is doing to drums and distorted guitars over anything else i ve heard so far...Im certainly not any fan of Softube plugins /so far at least/,so thats why i ve overlooked it completely,but this is the only one dedicated analog style limiter /and not only limiter!!/ I ve found and to my surprice a higly usable one :)
and you are right that its not good for gettting smooth transparent modern day limiting....we still need to wait if any dev attempts to model some of the latest analog limiters mentioned on page 4 and till it happens we have to stick with common lookahead limiters... :shrug:

Dynamite is one of my goto specials when some not available elsewhere-style dynamics processing is what is needed. It is really flexable and does crazy over the top gating/expanding/compressing/transient wasting and while it can sound nuclear at the same time it never seems to fold like a red hot mars bar. It has definately got 'character'. I've not ever looked at it/tried it as a limiter though (It worms its way onto alot of bus/aux channels in equal measure as it does as an inserts), It can be like most processors yeild some cool results when run in series with another instance of itself or something else from the dynamics toolbox IME/YMMV :)

So I'll fire it up after I've had a few hours sleep (its just gone half-past 9 in the morning here and I've not been to bed in three nights...I'm like a zombie pretty much). It is one I've not ever had the opportunity to use or even quickly get my hands on in the flesh.

I can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned, I'll read that thread on gearslutz also, Thanks for that linkage A.M.Gold. Also will read the whole thread as I've not read it properly kvaca plus page 4 sounds like its got some rack pr0n linkage on it from @midnight, Which I'm a plain sucker for, Even if it may well just be pure window shopping :D

All the best

Dean

Just my 5c to this topic.

Analog limiters able to do small lookahead (about 0.1 ms or 100 us) using bucket-brigade delay lines. Check this thread for example:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=35987.20

Also I have working prototype of zero-latency brickwall limiter. It's not analog modelled, but it's a limiter and it has zero latency. I did it for experimental purposes some time ago. I checked it on busses and it was pretty good (but lookahead one is better).

Technically, it's zero latency fast peak limiter with soft-clipping for overshoot protection.

If anybody is interested, I can post it.

EDIT: BTW, check also mda Limiter. It has zero latency and modelled inside as feedback limiter. http://mda.smartelectronix.com/
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

DELETED

maxxxter wrote:..and then there's this:
http://www.mellowmuse.com/LM1V.html

I love it.
Looks great! And only 2 samples of latency.

Also I forgot to mention that "true" analog limiter has to have soft knee, I suppose?

I think an oversampled brickwall soft clipper is a great tool. Especially one where you can adjust the shape of the clip to give different tones, and then 8x oversampled for analog sound.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

@midnight wrote:I think an oversampled brickwall soft clipper is a great tool. Especially one where you can adjust the shape of the clip to give different tones, and then 8x oversampled for analog sound.
dynamite also uses one at final stage...

VladG, I was just playing with your Limiter 6 and thought how it would be nice to have just the peak limiter part in a plugin, and possibly the ISP part at the end. :D Then @midnight mentioned this what you quoted... it is precisely that what you have, isn't it? I love how one can tweak the peak limiter in Limiter 6. So many possibilities! So many different ways you can tame those peaks. Just love it! :) I especially like the C and A algos, but the thing is I am sure I-II-III have their uses, too, that I just haven't managed to tackle, yet. Then also the choice between "soft" and "brickwall" limiting. That combination is just fantastic. For me, your limiter is a go to choice for dynamics processing.

Would adding a peak shaper to it make any sense? Isn't that what A-I-II-III-C algos do? or maybe that fast-1/2-1/3 options... these also shape the peaks. It's the most interesting limiter I've ever tried, or rather - a dynamics processing tool, and I've tried a lot during the years. ;) Very, VERY versatile plugin!

But I guess what you offered to post is not the peak limiter part from Limiter 6, right? But it's similar to Limiter 6' brickwall? Probably C type, but that algo uses a big lookahead ~200 samples, or maybe the A type that's got only 13 samples lookahead?

Very interesting discussion. :D Thank you Kvaca, despite what some people say. :cool:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:VladG, I was just playing with your Limiter 6 and thought how it would be nice to have just the peak limiter part in a plugin (...)

(...)

But I guess what you offered to post is not the peak limiter part from Limiter 6, right? But it's similar to Limiter 6' brickwall? Probably C type, but that algo uses a big lookahead ~200 samples, or maybe the A type that's got only 13 samples lookahead?

Very interesting discussion. :D Thank you Kvaca, despite what some people say. :cool:
Thanks a lot! Sorry, I rejected the idea to make parts of L6 as separate plugins, because it's hard to support 5 plugins instead of 1. Peak limiter in L6 was intended to use as brickwall only, but then I added Soft, M/S, Multiband modes and they can pass peaks through but at the same time they use lookahead and they're not analog modelled and they all have lookahead.

The experimental limiter plugin I mentioned, was planned to replace peak limiter in Molot but in new version of Molot I added another one. Okay, I'll compile and put a link here very soon and you can test it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18475891/6lim.zip

Here it is. Zero latency brickwall limiter (just test plugin for some experiments). VST, Windows, 32/64 bit.

It has fast no-lookahead hard knee limiter with threshold 2 dB below the threshold given and optional hard/soft clipping stage. I tested it on some mixes and I prefer the sound on "hardclip" position. Also you can set "brickwall" parameter to "off" and put your favorite clipper plugin after it to deal with signal overshoots.

it would be cool if there was a

on off buton for 2nd order harmonic distortion and 3rd harmonics

the knob would mix the two
right for 2nd and left for 3rd

kinda like those SSL rack preamps
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

MLimiter has knobs for harmonics.
not the 'analog style' limiter the OP is looking for, but can be a nice tool to have anyway.

and fwiw you can make your own 2nd order harmonics by adding DC to the source in a 'controlled' amount, pre-limiter.

Return to “Effects”