Why do some freeware developers say "Don't use this plugin for commercial music" ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chokehold wrote:Yup, that's just badly written.
In this case, the "commercial" part means profit by redistribution, such as selling, renting, etc.

But yes, I do recall TinBrookeTales from my Windows days, I frequently used the tbt Limiter and eKit trigger, for a period of 2 or 3 replies I was also once in contact with the guy behind those plugins.
Sadly, the "not for commercial use" part of his license made his plugins unattractive to me.

I don't remember what other ones there were, but I do remember coming across a few more developers than just him who demanded this in their licenses.
That is what I think too. I think it is poorly worded.

Full Bucket wrote:
@midnight wrote:Yeah but I mean if everybody did that there would be no economy/industry and everybody would be living in caves and there would be no computers etc...
Hmmm, but if everybody would use freeware plug-ins there would be no economy/industry and everybody would be living in caves and there would be no computers etc... :D

Hey, I'm offering freeware myself, I shouldn't have said this... :lol:

Cheesr, Björn
:hihi:
[Insert Signature Here]

this is just absurd.

just show me one instance where someone sells freeware plugins.

show me, because i can make a commission from some lawyer friends.

:)

overhishead wrote:this is just absurd.

just show me one instance where someone sells freeware plugins.

show me, because i can make a commission from some lawyer friends.

:)
Go to ebay and search for Audacity. Don't get your lawyer's hopes up, though. It's legal to sell it, long as the vendor includes all source as the GNU license requires. As I said before, legal but sleazy IMO.

You can also find plenty of freeware being sold on ebay that isn't legal to sell. Spend half an hour searching and you'll have a long list. Some of it is in huge collections. Legal or not, your lawyer would have a hard time buying stick pens and yellow pads on what he or she would make taking these guys to court. Plenty of illegal stuff happens because it's too much effort to get ebay to do something about it.

Return to “Effects”