Good but limited
35%
Avoid at all costs
22%

Total votes: 79

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Personally, I find that the disadvantages outway the advantages
There are better sounding effects that are much more intutitve to work with.
UAD, WAVES, and many more just sound better.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

DELETED

maxxxter wrote:
Sparky77 wrote:Personally, I find that the disadvantages outway the advantages
Frankly I couldn't agree less, sound-wise they're nowhere near the same ballpark.
Agreed.
You are currently reading my signature.

Well - I voted good but limited. I deserve to catch he$$ for that because I have the feeling the plugin is great forward-thinking and already has exceptional sampled libraries.

In my re-mastering endevours I have had access to GML8200 mastering eq (CDSoundMasters 8300), Tapes and Pre-Amps that would cost over $100K by AlexB, consoles and mojo by Henry. Keys to the city in other words. I literally dream about all the hardware I have in sampled libraries. Giga-bytes of audio!

But I always end up taking Nebula out of my plugin chain. It sounds un-natural the way I'm using it I'm sure. I think that if I was mixing instruments I could probably control it better. Right now I think I'm turning it up to 11 on the master buss. Between goofing up gain-staging and probably some kern or mast settings I'm wasting the potential of all these sampled pieces of equipment. It's limited by me, the end user because it can be I guess.

So, in the end...it's me, not you...but I'll always keep trying. :love:

More intuitive, I could agree if I really try. Sound better? Not even close in my opinion. But luckily there are enough choices for everyone to be happy. Besides, I love it when people like their algo plugs, my "Nebulized" tracks stand out even more and sound even better when more people are used to not hearing it so good and lovely!! And personally... Waves? Sound good? I wouldn't use waves if it were freeware, I don't know why but they have never sounded good at all to me. UAD... they do sound good, a barely acceptable Nebula replacement if I am on someone else's DAW....lol. Sorry, I am just being "that way", it's all in good fun.
Music folds and unfolds the universe.
http://soundyaudio.com/

After seeing this thread I downloaded Nebula 3 Free and gave it a spin. I really enjoyed the compressor, tape sim, and modulation FX...the words that came to mind were "plush" and "swanky."

That said, for where I'm currently at, I see the Nebula paradigm (sampling specific settings on specific high-end gear, with a limited range of parameter adjustments) as more of a "spice" or "dessert" than a "main course."

Any of the pro-Nebula users care to post A/B clips?

I find this insistence on "x sounds WAY WAY better than y, not even close, not even in the same ballpark blah blah" a bit tiring, no matter which side it comes from.

richinmusic wrote:
More intuitive, I could agree if I really try. Sound better? Not even close in my opinion. But luckily there are enough choices for everyone to be happy. Besides, I love it when people like their algo plugs, my "Nebulized" tracks stand out even more and sound even better when more people are used to not hearing it so good and lovely!! And personally... Waves? Sound good? I wouldn't use waves if it were freeware
I agree, the plugins I have bought from Waves does not sound any good, and their free oneknob was a disaster in my ears.

I disagree. Nebula sounds way better than the competition. It's definitely a hassle to use but it sounds gorgeous.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:
I disagree. Nebula sounds way better than the competition. It's definitely a hassle to use but it sounds gorgeous.

Cheers!
bManic
+1

ariston wrote:Any of the pro-Nebula users care to post A/B clips?
I asked already twice and all I got was a quote from Matrix (I can only show you the door. You have to walk through it.)

I have posted so many A/B clips for this same topic elsewhere, no offense to request, but I don't have the time. An A/B comparison of a single track, like a guitar or horn part, comparing a "Nebulized" and "non-Nebulized" version is sometimes too subtle to notice any difference. But that same comparison between 2 real consoles or preamps may be as difficult. The real comparison to do is entire mixes of tracks that were heavily "Nebulized" or not at all. Part of the magic of using Nebula is very similar to the magic of using analog signal chains as opposed to all digital; it's a difference that is subtle in small doses but very amazing when it's cumulative. And THAT is precisely why I can't post A/B clips, I don't have time or energy to work up 2 separate complete mixes of the same project, so I apologize. So in response to Ariston and your annoyance; I can only suggest either jumping in and using it, or be happy with your present tools. I am less concerned about convincing anyone to go buy it and get all enthused about it as I am more concerned about helping people that already want to use it get more from it. It revolutionized my work, but as I have said many times, it is not for everyone.

sorohanro wrote:
ariston wrote:Any of the pro-Nebula users care to post A/B clips?
I asked already twice and all I got was a quote from Matrix (I can only show you the door. You have to walk through it.)
Ha ha, I posted before I read this. See my last post. There is a reason why many of us Nebula crazed folks don't post clips.

richinmusic wrote:Part of the magic of using Nebula is very similar to the magic of using analog signal chains as opposed to all digital; it's a difference that is subtle in small doses but very amazing when it's cumulative.
The operative word being "magic", I guess. :hihi:
bmanic wrote:Nebula sounds way better than the competition.
Here we go again... I'm curious: How much "way", by the way? Twice as good? Thrice as good? 3.1415926545 times better? Or are we talking exponentially better? Do tell.

Seriously, I guess the world will stay as it is, divided between the Nebulons and the Unwashed Ears, and ne'er the twain shall meet.

It's been 5 days now (counting the weekend) since I requested authorization for my Nebula. I'm sorry, but that is totally unacceptable.

And I know people will say "just post on the forums, they're really helpful" - but should I have to do that every time I need a reg code? Ridiculous.

Return to “Effects”