43%
Good but limited
35%
Avoid at all costs
22%

Total votes: 79

RELATED
PRODUCTS

bduffy wrote:I'm just wondering if there's any way someone could sonically prove Nebula's worth. It might be impossible if you have two well-mixed mixes; then it's just a matter of taste, and the ears of the mixer, between each mix.
That is key here. Sonically, it is hard to prove good or bad anything, this is art and is highly subjective. Any tool is more than worth it's price and hassle-factor if it does something that the user likes and can not do it better (in their own ears) than any other tool. Totally subjective, indeed.
Music folds and unfolds the universe.
http://soundyaudio.com/

bduffy wrote:I'm just wondering if there's any way someone could sonically prove Nebula's worth. It might be impossible if you have two well-mixed mixes; then it's just a matter of taste, and the ears of the mixer, between each mix.
I can think of 2 librarys;

http://www.tmusicaudio.com/nebulaguitar.html

http://rhythminmind.net/STN/?page_id=3278

They don't fix anything but rather shape, though still has an "optional" effect to them but which plug-in doesn't? :) one is free and other is demo, doesn't hurt to try...

I think the beauty of the better known nebula stuff (eq's, tubes...) is actually noticeable when listening transients and thats why many fail to hear a difference. There is a static-sh coloration like other plug-ins make but the overall dynamic balance is also effected in a not always better but interesting way.

sorohanro wrote:
richinmusic wrote:
sorohanro wrote:Because Nebula users find it so difficult to actually make an A/B test....
I avoided joining this forum for a few years for this very reason. Why do people have to turn an informative thread into immature rants and insults. I thought I detailed a pretty good explanation why I personally didn't do a ton of audio clips.
I'm sorry if my comment offended you. Wasn't my intention.
The comment wasn't also directed at you, was just a rant about people coming with "catch phrases" (analog warmth/ game changer/ you don't have the ears to hear/ learn to stage your gain...etc) but when comes to actually make a test...

Also I think that if people say the effect is cumulative, then one instrument makes the difference. I think if you threat drums or percussion section you have:
- big dynamic changes
- wide frequency range
- a change in drums sound has a dramatic effect over the mix.
Again, my comment wasn't directed at you personally and I'm sorry if sounded harsh to you, I just got tired of not seeing a test (like Flandersh linked in his comment) for several pages, so I did one (8 minutes of "effort").
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unrelated logic rant:
So, when you try the free version and doesn't sound good the answer is:
"you need the pro version, with 3rd party programs which don't work in free version"
But when you say "there is no A/B test" the answer is:
"but there is the free version, go try it"
:?
I apologize as well, I wasn't attacking you... ok, I kind of was...lol. So here's a formal apology.... But I checked out your comparison, and I don't hear too much of a difference, especially regarding "quality". But back when I was on the fence about Nebula, before I started investing in the endless 3rd party libraries, I took a very large and complex mix I was working on, and did my own full mix A/B comparison. The differences blew my mind, and I have never turned back. Is Nebula perfect? Hell no!! It's a pain in the butt, will destroy even an i7 if you are not careful, and I have had to completely redefine my work-flow AND pricing structure with clients. But as I said in my first post in this thread, I spent over 25 years in all analog audio, and before I started using Nebula, I was never happy with the results, even the really good stuff. But that's my eras and my taste. I agree with the post about Acustica's mode, I think that they want people to try it with an open mind, but they are not claiming that it is for everyone.
And about your other rant: I actually agree with you. The free version sucked on my system. I was convinced by a user on the Reaper forum that I had already trusted about other things, and I liked their ear and taste. But I have always said that their free system is a terrible advertisement. But many of the devs offer audio clips, and free demos that DO work in the free Nebula. But yeah, there is a certain element of a leap of faith involved. Not everyone will do that, but my music and my ears are glad that I did.

richinmusic wrote:
That is key here. Sonically, it is hard to prove good or bad anything, this is art and is highly subjective. Any tool is more than worth it's price and hassle-factor if it does something that the user likes and can not do it better (in their own ears) than any other tool. Totally subjective, indeed.
Yeah, but I just don't think a week-long wait is acceptable business practice from any company - no matter how good the product. It's pretty insulting.

bduffy wrote:
richinmusic wrote:
Yeah, but I just don't think a week-long wait is acceptable business practice from any company - no matter how good the product. It's pretty insulting.
I can't defend them on that, but I need to ask; How did you submit the ser file? If you did it within the site, that almost always fails. There is a thread in there somewhere with an email address to send it to. Did you try posting on the forum? I have had to authorize a second and third computer, and I never waited more than a day or 2. I know that this is still unacceptable, but as long as you have made the move to try it, I can try to help you with this part.

bduffy wrote:
richinmusic wrote:
?

http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/vi ... 11&t=25500

richinmusic wrote:
bduffy wrote:
richinmusic wrote:
I can't defend them on that, but I need to ask; How did you submit the ser file? If you did it within the site, that almost always fails. There is a thread in there somewhere with an email address to send it to. Did you try posting on the forum? I have had to authorize a second and third computer, and I never waited more than a day or 2. I know that this is still unacceptable, but as long as you have made the move to try it, I can try to help you with this part.
Thanks richinmusic.

A .SER file was never generated for me, at least as far as I can tell. I found an email thread from the last time I attempted to authorize Nebula, and he asked me to send him my Mac serial number. But then I noticed I still couldn't get the libraries to show up, so I expect the worst, yet again.

For the record, I emailed info{at}acustica, used the form on the site and posted on their forum. I'm not sure how much more one can be expected to do.

Cooker wrote:
bduffy wrote:
richinmusic wrote:
?

http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/vi ... 11&t=25500
Yeah. Like I said way back, I know someone's going to tell me to go search/post/PM in the forum, and I still insist that's unacceptable merely for registering, digging around forums, especially as it contradicts what they tell you do to in the FAQ!

Unless I've been flagged as spam, in which case, I apologize in advance. But I've posted on the forum and used their contact form - after doing what's precisely instructed on the site: "email us the serial".
Last edited by bduffy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I am on a PC, so my ability to help is probably limited. Try messaging Enrique or Antonello. Sorry I can't be of more help, I do understand your distaste a little better.

Cookers post was to show you that thread he linked to, for the Acustica site. It pertains to getting help.

richinmusic wrote:I am on a PC, so my ability to help is probably limited. Try messaging Enrique or Antonello. Sorry I can't be of more help, I do understand your distaste a little better.
Yeah, thanks man. Appreciated.

richinmusic wrote:Cookers post was to show you that thread he linked to, for the Acustica site. It pertains to getting help.
I know. I was just being sarcastic. Edited to a proper reply.

Ah! A response in the forum...

Now I am curious; How have you emailed them your serial when you said that it never generated one? The "ser" file IS the serial, so maybe there is a hangup because they have never received the ser file to generate an authorization. But definitely email Enrique, he has always been pretty quick for me. I will send him a message from me and point him to this, maybe I can help.

richinmusic wrote:Now I am curious; How have you emailed them your serial when you said that it never generated one? The "ser" file IS the serial, so maybe there is a hangup because they have never received the ser file to generate an authorization. But definitely email Enrique, he has always been pretty quick for me. I will send him a message from me and point him to this, maybe I can help.
Thanks! I heard from someone on the forum. It just doesn't make sense, all this contradictory information from them; "send it here! Send it there! This email cancels out that email! This person is faster/slower!". I don't care: I paid for a product, let me f**king use it!

Sorry, patience: thin. :cry: :x

Return to “Effects”