Ers emt250 and DimD - amazing plugins - now working well on mac!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ERS 250 ERS DimD

Edit - 16th April 2014 - Mac versions of new builds are fantastic.

Original post:

*bugs reported on second page then confirmed by me, please if you have the time to check* this front page post is about how awesome they *sound* :)

I think these plugins are way underrated. In fact i rarely see them talked about.

I have many times raved about the dimension here but only lately getting into the 250. ERS have a good price now where it's only 129 euro for the bundle which i think is very fair.

These plugins are designed so you can practically not even ruin your sound with them at extreme settings. The chorus is the smoothest i ever heard, the way he added the rate control and the wet and depth has added so much to the standard one button press dimension choruses.. but it just sound superb..

Harrie told me there are updates coming with even more features and oversampling so look out for them!

The reverb is on the mac at least, a little cpu hungry but i will almost always go to this now, especially on my drums, when i want an instant short room result. When i just want something to sound a bit "wet" without having to go to hell and back to get it to sound right. The tail at max is also very nice, i like this reverb for drums and my synth bass. Really easy to blend into a mix too. Real easy to get it to sit right with vocals as well :)

With all the talk of every other reverb but this one lately, I thought would be nice to talk to other users about them and also let those know who have never tried them that they are well worth trying.

Also curious to hear from UAD owners on how they think the two reverb compare. I already used the dimension d on uad a few times and with that i already know for sure i prefer the native ERS version.. but i am not sure with the verbs.

:)
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ers verb is really good , i personally like it more then the Uad, but they are both very good.The Asking price is good tough .

FWIW, Valhalla Vintage Verb new beta seems to have an EMT250 inspired new reverb algo...

- Mario

Let's refrain from mentioning valhalla reverb in one reverb topic please? :)

My apologies, I thought it could be relevant because of the EMT250 thing.

Peace,
Mario

Oh no need to apologize i hope i didn't come across as rude, as that was not intended, I just meant I really want this to focus on the strict direct emulations (and valhalla gets plenty of topics of it's own ) :).. and of course particularly the ERS products, as we are talking about the chorus here too.

I guess the new SKNote upcoming 250 reverb is valid here too as it is also supposedly a 1:1 emulation (same controls etc)

But yeah already i am more than surprised that only one user of ERS has responded... I really do think these plugins are criminally underrated.

It's difficult to form an opinion, as probably very few here have heard a real EMT 250, or can make direct comparisons with the UAD plugin (own or have demoed both). I have read around about it, not much really, what I know is it was this developer's first attempt at building an audio plugin, and he mostly went by guesswork and any schematics he had of the real thing. Can't say how accurately he did it. You know, with reverbs the saying 'the devil is in the details' is valid x100.

I'd say: 1. PM Sean Costello, maybe he can provide more info, as he seems to have had correspondence with him, and 2. wait for the SKNote stuff, I'm sure these will be quality products. Probably PM Quinto Sardo as well. I know you like to correspond with developers.

Emulation aside, who uses it and just plain likes the sound of it then? hehe.

I'd actually BET, with the chorus particularly, that no one would dislike it. It's that good.

I guess my secret weapon then :)

It's my secret weapon too. Only strange thing for me is that mode 3 and 4 sound exactly the same.
Finally!

TheoM wrote:
These plugins are designed so you can practically not even ruin your sound with them at extreme settings.

:)
I agree and that's the beauty of ERS's plugins. There's a clarity and depth to them that i rarely here in other Native plugins and the original source is protected to a good extent. I don't own the uad emt250 but never was that impressed with the audio-demo's i heard of it. A uad card further increases the price to get the uad plugin making it cost waaaay more than ERS's for something i was'nt that impressed with from audio-demo's to begin with. I don't know or care about how accurate ERS's Empty 250 is i just know it sounds dynamite and holds its ground just fine when i compare it to other verbs (i prefer it to the other Native reverbs i've tried, its one of my top favorites for sure.). Harrie has great ears and tweak-design his plugins to a high standard. I think his plugins are grossly underrated but unfortunately that's how the ball bounces sometimes. I don't own his DIM D chorus but i demo'd it and it is on my to-buy list and it's alot better then the uad dim d chorus sonicly wich i use to own long ago. I do own and love Empty 250 tho. Harrie is definitely a developer i keep a close eye on and look forward to his future products.

EDITED
Last edited by sounddesigner on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T2 Icarus is a must. SonicCore SCOPE is the most. As heart of studio it has my vote, cause XITE-1 is all she wrote.

I am a big fan of the ERS DimD. It's being used on almost all of my projects. I find that it works really well with synth pads or leads that need just a little bit of width or movement, without actually making it sound like a chorus is being used. I used to have the UA DimD a few years back too, and needless to say is that I was very excited of being able to replace it with the ERS DimD. I didn't do any A/B comparisons, but to me it's just as good as the UA version. Hard to say which one is better.

IMO this plugin is very addictive. Synths can sound so much more of being alive with the DimD it's almost ridiculous. It's not always needed, but when it is, it would be hard to replace it with anything else. I am very lucky to have it in my arsenal.

I was interested of his EMT250 too, but after I saw that quinto is making his own version of it, I figured out I should wait a little longer.

If you need a 250 and DimD, these are more than adequate.

Definitely try the demos out.

I've had my eyes on these for a while, aaargh! I'd really digg a DimD. EMT would be the icing on the cake considering the ultra fair bundle price. I didn't know about it (the bundle), so thanks for the info Theo, definitely on my to buy list.
Alexis

There are two reasons I don't own any ERS plugins (altho I really liked the Dim-D):

a) I find their offerings a bit pricey with competition being so fierce and they never have any special sales

b) The copyprot seems to be C/R (correct me if I'm wrong, please)

I beta tested the reverb, but didn't buy it. I was dancing around whether to finally go with some UAD solution, in which case I'd have gone with the Blesser blessed version. I think maybe the firewire boxes hadn't been out long at that point. Anyway, my discount expired on the ERS and I still haven't gone UAD, though an Apollo is still a future option.

All that is a preface to say that I liked the ERS 250 a lot. I've worked with an actual 251 for a long, long time. It doesn't have the 250 option. I think that replaced one of the 251 algorithms, and was generally thought not to sound as good as an actual 250. The ERS 250 definitely has an "in the same family" as the 251 vibe, though.

I haven't tried the ERS chorus. I don't think a link was posted, so:

http://emptyroomsystems.com/

Return to “Effects”