Why can't I buy a 96 db hi/lo pass filter?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ashh888 wrote:For instance, using a 24db hi pass filter in GlissEq at 30hz, will also cut 5db at 50hz.

I don't want to cut anything at 50Hz hence the need for a sharper filter.

Thanks in advance
Vengeance PhiltaXL has 96 dB/octave:

http://www.vengeance-sound.com/plugins- ... rame0.html

kvaca wrote:
ashh888 wrote:my workaround has been :

ohh,Ive overlooked this is your post...so you actually wanted steepness instead of sharpness?...so why youve asked for sharper filter?,this I dont get :o

edit-your post is still full of nonsense,becouse you actually cannot set hipass filters in Waves Q 10 starting at 1 Hz...
youre right. it starts at 16hz but i think you get the idea (maybe not)

Steeper/sharper. wots the difference

If you are using FL Studio, the Fruity Convolver can do the trick - it includes a scientific EQ section which is drawable without any limits.

But i wonder, what are the actual uses for such steep filtering?
Last edited by ferez21 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashh888 wrote:
kvaca wrote:
ashh888 wrote:my workaround has been :

ohh,Ive overlooked this is your post...so you actually wanted steepness instead of sharpness?...so why youve asked for sharper filter?,this I dont get :o

edit-your post is still full of nonsense,becouse you actually cannot set hipass filters in Waves Q 10 starting at 1 Hz...
youre right. it starts at 16hz but i think you get the idea (maybe not)

Steeper/sharper. wots the difference
nope...your idea is completely bad

all you need is one good and sharp hipass filter /like is included in Izotope HumRemoval for instance/
but-instead you have found as the best solution to use 10!!! instances of same filter in dated 10+ years old Waves plugin...its simlply beyond me :shock:
moreover-you still cannot get sharp filter with your Waves setup, only a steep one,becouse you will still miss about 2-3 db in 50 Hz, so you still need another filter to improve this imperfection...

your approach reminds me this saying - why do it easily if it can be done complicatedly...but do what you want and be happy :D

PascalVB wrote:
ashh888 wrote:For instance, using a 24db hi pass filter in GlissEq at 30hz, will also cut 5db at 50hz.

I don't want to cut anything at 50Hz hence the need for a sharper filter.

Thanks in advance
Vengeance PhiltaXL has 96 dB/octave:

http://www.vengeance-sound.com/plugins- ... rame0.html
there's a free version of that with every issue of computer music.
i wouldn't be without it.

For audio work the tradition is coincident pole filters, which are not as steep as Butterworths (for any order >3... i.e. a 4th order Butterworth is steeper than a 4th order coincident pole).

Sharper than Butterworth is the optimal Legendre structure, which is monotonic, and very sharp, and sharper still would be Chebyshevs (which allow you to pick where it ripples, in exchange for a steeper curve - for audio you'd /want/ type 2, which ripples only in the stopband, but practically, you'd find that type 1 is better, because the sharpness of type2 is a bit lame).... and sharpest of all is the Elliptic filter, which ripples in both pass and stopband... so not really ideal for audio work, but the sharpest transition of all.

In practical terms, you'd probably like the Butterworth or Legendre (both in EQuilibrium. Also has Chebyshev 1. Decided against the others because they don't actually sound good. They're engineering filters.).

Dave.
Last edited by DaveGamble on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

ashh888 wrote: Steeper/sharper. wots the difference
apples/oranges...the same difference

steepness is in db/octave=how steep is filter,while sharpness is in design /for instance linear phase versus minimum phase in Izotope HumRemoval/

so with sharp hipass if you set it to 30 Hz as a result you got zero freqency changes in 31 Hz...on the other side with normal hipass you will miss some db even in 50 Hz /like youve already found yourself with Gliss EQ/ AND it doesnt matter how steep the filter actually is- you will still miss some db over 31 Hz!

SPEAR is the trick. It FFTs to individual sines that you can simply delete, then save to another file minus the offending frequencies. No messy phase shifts, no funny artifacts, no fscking around with slopes and steepness -- the frequencies are simply gone.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

DaveGamble wrote:For audio work the tradition is coincident pole filters, which are not as steep as Butterworths (for any order >3... i.e. a 4th order Butterworth is steeper than a 4th order coincident pole).

Sharper than Butterworth is the optimal Laguerre structure, which is monotonic, and very sharp, and sharper still would be Chebyshevs (which allow you to pick where it ripples, in exchange for a steeper curve - for audio you'd /want/ type 2, which ripples only in the stopband, but practically, you'd find that type 1 is better, because the sharpness of type2 is a bit lame).... and sharpest of all is the Elliptic filter, which ripples in both pass and stopband... so not really ideal for audio work, but the sharpest transition of all.

In practical terms, you'd probably like the Butterworth or Laguerre (both in EQuilibrium. Also has Chebyshev 1. Decided against the others because they don't actually sound good. They're engineering filters.).

Dave.
I don't think you understand Dave. He wants a single pole filter that takes 0 CPU, only 4k RAM, doesn't add any latency, will work identical at every sample rate, doesn't alias at all not even at levels below the noise floor, AND allows the frequency to be adjusted to the nanohertz, has no learning curve, auto assigns itself to the cutoff that matches the style of the song and the content of the audio it is assigned to, has a retro button that makes it make GOOD distortion at an appropriate frequency, and will keep the host DAW running even if all other programs including the OS crash.

Fairly reasonable if you ask me.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

:hihi:

cyphersuit wrote:Iirc Vengeance Philta XL should be what you are looking for.
agreed! Love that thing! I use it for necessarily steep cuts and it sounds good enough without affecting it too much like alot of the steeper ones do.

I believe melda has ultra steep filters too, beyond 96 from memory

there is a very cheap or free melda eq with those features

For what it's worth, i have been asking Aleksey for steeper filters in Gliss Eq for over 2 years. He simply will not budge,

but i am right there with ya

I'd actually use gliss as my go to if it had them, even above fab filter.. (cause gliss has dynamics option)

it's a real shame he refuses to make a totally versatile all in one eq, only different ones that all miss necessary features.

p.s sometimes stacking filters works ok in gliss

TheoM wrote: ....Voxengo...it's a real shame he refuses to make a totally versatile all in one eq, only different ones that all miss necessary features.
off course its easily possible for him to do it that way ,but he apparently wants to sell more products instead of one totally versatile EQ :lol:
...are he is not the only one in this...

I think ReaFIR is what you're looking for

Jafo wrote:SPEAR is the trick. It FFTs to individual sines that you can simply delete, then save to another file minus the offending frequencies. No messy phase shifts, no funny artifacts, no fscking around with slopes and steepness -- the frequencies are simply gone.
Caveat:

"Something which closely resembles the original input sound (a resynthesis) can be generated by computing and adding all of the individual time varying sinusoidal waves together. In almost all cases the resynthesis will not be exactly identical to the original sound (although it is possible to get very close)."

http://www.activatedspace.com/ASblog/?p=246
My audio DSP blog: earlevel.com

kvaca wrote:
TheoM wrote: ....Voxengo...it's a real shame he refuses to make a totally versatile all in one eq, only different ones that all miss necessary features.
off course its easily possible for him to do it that way ,but he apparently wants to sell more products instead of one totally versatile EQ :lol:
...are he is not the only one in this...
well does he even HAVE an eq with 48db filters?

That's all he needs to add to Gliss EQ and it is absolutely complete imo

Return to “Effects”