Why can't I buy a 96 db hi/lo pass filter?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For instance, using a 24db hi pass filter in GlissEq at 30hz, will also cut 5db at 50hz.

I don't want to cut anything at 50Hz hence the need for a sharper filter.

Thanks in advance

I believe a guy called "easy toolz" or something has a scientific filter that can make a solid filter wall from any point. It is Free... but I do not remember where to find it.

fft processing will give you the steepness you want. It won't sound good though. those ultra steep filters generally don't. There was some free thing that would let you do ridiculously steep filters floating around. It might have been rubber filter.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

yep rubber filter. up to 384dB/octave. If that's not steep enough, nothing will be
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Yes, rubber filter and Rs-met engineersfilter or something similar....

Steeper filters are just multiple stacked filters so if you want 96db just use two 48db with the same settings.

DMG Audio Equick has 32 bands I believe, so if you really want you could have 1536 db per octave slope. Don't count on it being either useful sounding or very cpu friendly though.

As mentioned these really steep filters seldom sound great unless you want to go for that effect. I remember the old GRM tools bandpass was a good example. Even without large Q settings, very steep filters draw attention to the frequency at which they start to attenuate almost as if they have a high resonance. They also tend to add a lot of ringing and tail to the sound which isn't usually desirable.

One thing you might want to try is to use a 48db HPF filter slightly higher than you want with a q of 0.71 and then add a bell slightly lower and play with the boost amount and q to "fill in" the freqency you are losing a little too much of.

Hope that helps :)

my workaround has been :

in Waves Q10, position 10 band pass filters starting at 1 Hz with the last at 30 Hz with a hi Q and maximum volume reduction.

Not noticed any reduction in quality. Thanks for your replies.

Iirc Vengeance Philta XL should be what you are looking for.
Finally!

its not very funny guys - OP wants sharper hp filter but ALL of you are recommending him steeper filter :x
or am I missing something?...:shrug:

Ah_Dziz wrote:fft processing will give you the steepness you want. It won't sound good though. those ultra steep filters generally don't. There was some free thing that would let you do ridiculously steep filters floating around. It might have been rubber filter.
but as far as I can understand him he wants sharpness and ONLY fft will give hime what he wants...and it will sound good IF he dont need ultra steepness sametime... :wink:

ashh888 wrote:For instance, using a 24db hi pass filter in GlissEq at 30hz, will also cut 5db at 50hz.

Thanks in advance
what DAW, what eq are you using now.

Just note asymmetrical waveforms when using non linear low pass filters, especially when they're steep (e.g. above 24db). It highly depends on the source material.
Cowbells!

ashh888 wrote:my workaround has been :

in Waves Q10, position 10 band pass filters starting at 1 Hz with the last at 30 Hz with a hi Q and maximum volume reduction.

Not noticed any reduction in quality. Thanks for your replies.
ohh,Ive overlooked this is your post...so you actually wanted steepness instead of sharpness?...so why youve asked for sharper filter?,this I dont get :o

edit-your post is still full of nonsense,becouse you actually cannot set hipass filters in Waves Q 10 starting at 1 Hz...
Last edited by kvaca on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashh888 wrote:For instance, using a 24db hi pass filter in GlissEq at 30hz, will also cut 5db at 50hz.

Thanks in advance
http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... =MBandPass

I guess these are butterworth filters. They are sharp. Just what you need.

built-in fft filter in adobe audition 3 ftw! :)
it's not realtime but i often use it to cut everything under 25-30hz.

Return to “Effects”