High quality audio morphing effect plugin, why it doesn't exist yet?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:i've just been playing around with the morphing in alchemy again and I think it can do a pretty damn decent job of morphing between relatively complex sounds. Basically if the resynthesis sounds natural the morph will also. anybody want to send me two files for a demonstration?
baby crying/heavy machinery
telephone ring/lion roar

try free sound :)

also, im not interested so much in realism, not sure its applicable here anyway, im just very interested in what will happen using such incompatible sounds and what the half way point might sound like?
alchemy is already in my wishlist, but id still like to hear the results if you could :)

doesnt have to be those specific sounds, just a couple of examples of incompatible sounds being morphed would be cool 8)
I'll post these examples later today. my conclusion is that anything sounds cool when morphed into a crying baby.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

i look forward to it :)

Keep in mind that in the Image Synth (which is only one aspect of MetaSynth) that there is no one way that a particular image will sound. You can radically alter what an image sounds like by changing its tuning space or what it is resynthesized with or the time/scale that is used to render it. For sound morphing, it is often interesting to use a frequency mapping derived from spectrum analysis of another sound.

Just sayin'....
highkoo wrote:
valhallasound wrote:
highkoo wrote:You guys gave me another piece of a half an idea...

Go to the websites for various Adobe PS/AE plugins,
Dump their sample before/after pics into Metasynth and see what the plugins can 'sound' like.
Working in Metasynth, you won't want to use any video morphing plugins. Metasynth represents a sound of X duration as a single image, so you would want to use a filter that could somehow "interpolate" points between the left and right. I'm not sure what that would look like.

I wonder if there are more of these morphing type tools on OSX, that derive from the work done in the 1990s on Macs. Back when I was young(-ish) and poorer, I used Csound on a Pentium II running Windows 98 to create my sounds. I always had serious envy of those folks that had Macs, as they could run Soundhack, Supercollider, Metasynth, Max/MSP, and so on. All of these tools are still available, and I think that Soundhack and Metasynth are OSX only.

Sean Costello
I didnt really explain myself very well.... :)
In my mind the process I describe would really only be useful to a dev who was looking at image morphing as a way to inform an audio morphing project.
It would just give an idea of what the visual code was doing when run through the Metasynth conversion.
From what I have seen, a lot of the image synth experimentation works with fairly basic imagery and basic image manipulation. Some graphic plugs are capable of very subtle and very intricate stuff, so I wonder if that code has ever been shoved though Metasynth in any way.

I guess I am thinking of this as if there were a universal visual>audio standard that is non-configurable, but just has never been explored. :lol:
Which is basically wrong, but it provides a place to start from.
And so there are this pile of hi-end visual plugins that have never been applied to that conversion standard.

So, there is an Adobe plugin that does XYZ. Given a specific Metasynth set up, what does the 'dry' image sound like, and what does the 'wet' image sound like? The plugin itself is not useful, but the two sounds might inform us on what that visual code does sonically, and what a useful audio plugin might have to have inside it.
For PS plugs, you just take the processed images, and for the AE plugs you just take screen shots that show the breadth of the effect it is producing. Just to get an idea. I would guess that even video plugins sometimes use images to show what they do.

It seems to me (likening programming to magic :hihi: ) that making a morpher from scratch, or making a visual>audio system from scratch, are massive projects. Maybe some fancy Adobe could be informative and have a place to hitchhike from...

zerocrossing wrote:
VicDiesel wrote:
gnu23 wrote:Edit:
Ack! Can't believe it (Prosoniq Morph) was right there in the first post. Jeezow my eyes are getting bad. :(
http://www.audioeffects.com/morph.html
Make sure the demo works for you. I tried it a long time ago and couldn't get it to work at all for me and that was on a basic WIndows XP set up. Maybe they've updated it or I was an isolated issue, but be careful.
well, that's an Audio Unit plugin (OSX.5.8 to current), it wouldn't work on Windows XP I don't guess.

Return to “Effects”