FabFilter Pro-L best for me?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I'm driving myself nuts deciding which limiter to buy.
I like what I hear of Voxengo Elephant, PSP Xenon and FabFilter Pro-L.
As I am using PSP compressors, eqs, etc on almost everything I do, my stuff sounds nice and analog/slightly rough and warm already, and while trialling it I do love the clean, transparent thing Pro-L does to them at the end.
Kind of rounds them off without adding more of that stuff.
So I don't know if I need yet more PSP goodness at the end, and I like that clean thing from FF.
Others I've tried seem pretty reliable but lack personality somehow.
Voxengo Elephant, I had to wrap as I'm in ProTools (on a MacBook), and I can't trial it properly because of the bleep every so often. Those two things put me off a bit, although I like what they do, the price, the good thumbs-up on KVR, etc.
I am drawn to Pro-L, as so far it seems easy to get volume with transparency, but I also know from experience that PSP stuff is always right up my street.
I do two lots of stuff - one is instrumental, and often experimental, with everything including the kitchen sink in there, lots of Vienna orchestral, lots of Hollow Sun, Cinematique, Hideaway Studio, Arturia, FM8, Absynth, SonicCouture, etc, etc.
Oh, but also real electric and acoustic and bass guitars, Abbey Road drums and lots of drum machines.

The second is covers and originals, much more rock-oriented, acoustics and pianos, or Neil Young-style rock with lead vocals and lots of backing vocals, lots of dynamics, etc.

I know you guys regularly voice opinions, and just wondering if there are any particular pros and cons about, in the end I suppose, Pro-L versus Xenon for this kind of music?

Help, please!

Cheers.
PT10, SonicCouture, PSP, FabFilter Pro-L, Kontakt5, HollowSun, Cinematique, VSL, Celemony, Absynth5, Battery3, EWQL, IvoryGrand, Arturia, B4II, Omnisphere, Martin D28, Gibson LP, Fender P, Roland XP10, Reaktor5, HideawayStudio, Waldorf PPGW.

I've tried them all and like Pro-L the best.
You are currently reading my signature.

Thanks, Anthony. That's a start!
PT10, SonicCouture, PSP, FabFilter Pro-L, Kontakt5, HollowSun, Cinematique, VSL, Celemony, Absynth5, Battery3, EWQL, IvoryGrand, Arturia, B4II, Omnisphere, Martin D28, Gibson LP, Fender P, Roland XP10, Reaktor5, HideawayStudio, Waldorf PPGW.

I think that Pro-L is simple and straight to the point, while it also offers first class results and can offer more advanced features if you choose to tweak. I didn't like Xenon at all, and I found that Elephant is good, but you have to tweak it.
You are currently reading my signature.

Pretty much sums up what I feel too.
Maybe somebody will amaze me with a different opinion, but I still have 28 days left of full trial, which is very generous of them, too.

My personal preference is Pro-L. I like it's ease of use and GUI.
That said PSP Xenon and Voxengo Elephant are both excellent.
It's basically trying the demos and seeing which one clicks with you.

Just to consider all options, did you try Toneboosters Barricade?

Thanks again. And I couldn't help noticing that 10 per cent thingie . . .
:)

I'll seek it out and try it, too! Cheers!

Orchidius wrote:Just to consider all options, did you try Toneboosters Barricade?

Good call, excellent value for money :wink:

Check out AOM Invisible Limiter.

It's the new beast.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Thanks, will do

Elephant and Pro-L are hard to beat. Elephant has more options and makes stuff louder then most of the other limiters. Pro-L is IMO a bit more transparent but is also some of the limiters which can be pushed very hard.

I don't like PSP Xenon. Anyway, Flux Pure is another good limiter.
Last edited by 4damind on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://aom-factory.jp/en/products/invisible-limiter/

You can see how it compares with Pro-L and FG-X, among others.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I've tried them with vsts and they both sound great, as does Xenon.
I'll try some vocals and acoustic guitar and see how that sounds.
Do you guys think any one of these adds more "colour" than others? I like how Pro-L just seems to make louder what I have, without changing the sound at all, to my ears.

Return to “Effects”