FabFilter Pro-L best for me?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

forgot to say sarmale and vicshare, if you are on a tight budget i can WHOLE HEARTEDLY recommend toneboosters barricade as my very second choice after Pro-L

it is even easier to use and will give you 90% of pro -l quality in the results. It's very very good.

Elephant 3 is honestly still one of the best but too mane features to get it to work on every song the right way.

I honestly believe in Pro-L, Barricade, Elephant, Ozone5, in that order :)

Thanks, Theo, and for an amazing response from so many knowledgeable people on here. Still lots of time left on my trial, but I am really impressed most with Pro-L, I must admit. It stands out a mile.
PT10, SonicCouture, PSP, FabFilter Pro-L, Kontakt5, HollowSun, Cinematique, VSL, Celemony, Absynth5, Battery3, EWQL, IvoryGrand, Arturia, B4II, Omnisphere, Martin D28, Gibson LP, Fender P, Roland XP10, Reaktor5, HideawayStudio, Waldorf PPGW.

Barricade and VladG's Limiter No6 (you HAVE to try v1.02. try the last preset).

I've have read nothing but good things about Pro-L. but the price - while not prohibitive - will make you think long and hard (too hard - IMO - unless your consider that amount of cash "Impulse Buy"), especially when there are other alternatives, some dirt cheap, some FREE.

Do yourself a favor, and try them YOURSELF, with YOUR ears, and YOUR material (be it rock, trance, hip-hop, house, chill or whatever YOU are doing). I have tried Pro-L demo time and again, first against my Barricade and now against Limiter No6 (v1.0.2) and I just cannot justify shelling that amount of dough... (€169) :shrug:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

When I tried Pro-L side to side with TB Barricade I realized that I can get the same and better results with Barricade around 5x faster. Maybe too many options are bad for me as they increase probability of setting something wrong, maybe, anyway that's my experience with Pro-L, I don't want it.

hma wrote:When I tried Pro-L side to side with TB Barricade I realized that I can get the same and better results with Barricade around 5x faster. Maybe too many options are bad for me as they increase probability of setting something wrong, maybe, anyway that's my experience with Pro-L, I don't want it.
TBH, Pro-L couldn't be easier to operate : set your preferred preset and dial in the required gain (bM's are awesome). two clicks away from your "Gain Domain".
I don't think one should dabble in "tweak land" AFA a limiter is concerned (unless he/she WANTS to).
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

I don't know, presets for a limiter is kind of stupid IMO. While browsing through presets in Pro-L I could already dial in the settings I want in Barricade. Anyway, to each his own.

DELETED

Sell it to vicshere? win win? :D

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

DELETED

hma wrote:I don't know, presets for a limiter is kind of stupid IMO. While browsing through presets in Pro-L I could already dial in the settings I want in Barricade. Anyway, to each his own.
Yes, that is the general consensus, as far as Dynamics are concerned. but think of it this way :
Someone WISER then you dialed in the settings (he/she already weighed in all the factors, inc. genre;required/expected loudness, potential influence of controller settings... etc.) .

All you have to do is to know what controllers are relevant, and dial in the amount you want. that is, of course, unless you enjoy twiddling with knobs and sliders and the music is only in the second place.

I'm sure it's a lot of fun to design a car (its cool as hell, that's for sure !) yet we let others do it for us, and we just step the "threshold" pedal :P
(Gabe Dumbbell)

I think the two best on the list are PSP Xenon and FabFilter Pro-L. Honestly, both are at the very top of the heap. I use PSP Xenon and absolutely love it, but I doubt I would cry if I had to use Pro-L.

Since you are on Pro Tools, FabFilter has a slight edge since they have already released AAX versions of their plugins. I doubt PSP will be far behind, but you have to hand it to FabFilter for being on top of their game.

maxxxter wrote:I hate ProL, worst purchase ever.
How come?

Tp3 wrote:
hma wrote:I don't know, presets for a limiter is kind of stupid IMO. While browsing through presets in Pro-L I could already dial in the settings I want in Barricade. Anyway, to each his own.
Yes, that is the general consensus, as far as Dynamics are concerned. but think of it this way :
Someone WISER then you dialed in the settings (he/she already weighed in all the factors, inc. genre;required/expected loudness, potential influence of controller settings... etc.) .

All you have to do is to know what controllers are relevant, and dial in the amount you want. that is, of course, unless you enjoy twiddling with knobs and sliders and the music is only in the second place.

I'm sure it's a lot of fun to design a car (its cool as hell, that's for sure !) yet we let others do it for us, and we just step the "threshold" pedal :P
Well thanks for your opinion but I still consider myself WISE enough to know how to use limiter in my own music and no one will convince me that someone else can come up with better settings without hearing the music that the limiter is used on. Just to base settings on preset name and assume that what I have sounds like what preset designer was working with is just too open for interpretation and too far stretched for my liking and I prefer to have as little doubts as possible :) And since when enjoying twiddling with knobs means that the music is "only in the second place"?
Also I don't think your car analogy works in this case as I'm not saying that I prefer to code my own limiters.

It's very important to remember that all dynamics processors have a character or behavior of their own. Thus there can be no "best" of anything. It's all down to taste which is completely subjective.

I suggest anybody who is in the market for a limiter first tries the various free ones (many of them being absolutely top quality!) then tries Toneboosters Barricade and Voxengo Elephant (the search usually ends here.. both are sublime!) then if you are still not satisfied it might be worth asking the question: "What am I looking for?".

The most transparent "limiter" you can ever get if transients (punchyness) are important to you, is a digital clipper. Straight up digital clipping will preserve the transients to quite a drastic degree because of how a Digital to Analogue converter works. For this task you can't go much wrong with the free Gvst Clipper. Anybody know a clipper with a ridiculous amount of oversampling? Something like 128x or 256x oversampling? This kind of clipper may be very interesting.

However, if you are after the least amounts of distortion or added "color" due to harmonic and inharmonic distortion (both aliasing and intermodulation distortion counts) then you need an "intelligent" limiter. Most of the current limiters fall into this category.

If you want a certain "vibe" or "pumping" from your limiter then you might want to take a look at the old Waves L2 limiter which has a very interesting release stage. Sure, it might not go very loud by today's standards but many people like this limiter a lot due to the way it rides the audio. I used to hate it until I was proven way wrong in a double blind test where I constantly picked up Waves L2 as one of my favorites. :oops:

As a general tip: You can always chain two limiters after each other, preferably two different brands, and then experiment to get the best of both worlds.

The hardest task for a limiter is to be completely transparent without causing any distortion. Nobody has cracked this nut yet and I fear that with the demands of today's loudness war it's impossible.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:You can't go much wrong with the free Gvst Clipper. Anybody know a clipper with a ridiculous amount of oversampling? Something like 128x or 256x oversampling? This kind of clipper may be very interesting.
Well, GVST is kinda old. its very effective and has an appealing helpful interface but as soon as Vladimir Goncharov released his clipper modules into the wild, it was game over (IMO).

SerpClip2 has an oversampling of unknown amount (unknown to me) and
SerpClip3 has a 4x linear phase oversampling. maybe VladG would be kind to custom this parameter for us...
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Return to “Effects”