FabFilter Pro-L best for me?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I find Barricade much better than Pro-L. And I achieved better results with it. But, too each his own...

Only good thing I find about Pro-L is GUI, I believe most people don't even listen what it's doing, they only look at it.

maxxxter wrote:
manducator wrote:
maxxxter wrote:I hate ProL, worst purchase ever.
How come?
Very simple; during several different private mastering sessions, my other limiters achieved better, more transparent, louder results. That's it.

I was actually quite surprised at how bad and farty ProL sounded, it couldn't get anywhere near the loudness and transparency I managed to achieve with my other limiters.
It just distorted badly and made the track sound small, thin and squashed when I managed to get it to be as loud as, for example, the VladG limiter (which sounded fat and effortless).

Poco Brickwall was the absolute winner, Mellowmuse LM1V was the second best, VladG lim6 was the third (really nice), Sonnox came as fourth and Ozone 5 the last.
ProL was the worst, I was appaled at how bad it was. It distorted badly at same or similar loudness settings, regardless of the algorithm or a preset chosen.

And the tracks were well mixed, shouldn't have been such a hard job to do. :?

EDIT: Later on, I also demoed PSP Xenon (horrible) and Barricade (quite nice).
Would it be possible to get a short clip from the track that caused these problems? We tested Pro-L on a HUGE variety of sources but it's very possible there are some material where it just doesn't work (I've found some myself too where I much preferred another solution, usually clipping the AD converter in this case).

I'm not sure anything can be done to improve upon the algorithms any more but it'd be a nice little pet project for myself. :)

Btw, have you tried Atsuto Kubo's A.O.M Limiter yet? I think it is very promising and has it's own kind of sound/behavior.

Vladg's limiter is also very interesting but it's not exactly what I'd call transparent.. at least I had big trouble getting it to stay true to the original material. For me it's more a enhancer+compressor+limiter kind of setup where it further enhances the sound of any source, provided that further enhancing is needed. Pro-L's design philosophy was that it should sound identical to the source even at rather large amounts of gain reduction (even up to +4dB of limiting or so.. when you go past that then of course it will start changing things like a mofo! :D ).

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

billcarroll wrote:
TheoM wrote:
maxxxter wrote:
manducator wrote:
How come?
Very simple; during several different private mastering sessions, my other limiters achieved better, more transparent, louder results. That's it.

I was actually quite surprised at how bad and farty ProL sounded, it couldn't get anywhere near the loudness and transparency I managed to achieve with my other limiters.
It just distorted badly and made the track sound small, thin and squashed when I managed to get it to be as loud as, for example, the VladG limiter (which sounded fat and effortless).

Poco Brickwall was the absolute winner, Mellowmuse LM1V was the second best, VladG lim6 was the third (really nice), Sonnox came as fourth and Ozone 5 the last.
ProL was the worst, I was appaled at how bad it was. It distorted badly at same or similar loudness settings, regardless of the algorithm or a preset chosen.

I agree xenon is pretty bad, and i agree the TC one is very good. But i am flat out shocked at your pro-l results. :shrug:
Something smells good in stinkville ... honey, bring me the cats ass! <takes a giant sniff of the cat's butt> ahhh, that's better.

FabFilter Pro-L and PSP Xenon are both absolutely fantastic limiters, and top in class in almost every aspect. If the two of you think these limiters stink or sound bad somehow maybe you should hang out. You definitely have something in common :lol:

Each to their own.
huh? Pro-L is my favourite limiter of all time. I have maintained that stance since it came out :shrug:

i think you misread.

Yes i am not a fan of xenon cause i find it can't get things anywhere near as loud as pro-l before the artefacts come.

Sorry but we still agree that pro-l is awesome, and i am one of the two quoted, so i am confused there.

:?

billcarroll wrote:
TheoM wrote:
maxxxter wrote:
manducator wrote:
How come?

I agree xenon is pretty bad, and i agree the TC one is very good. But i am flat out shocked at your pro-l results. :shrug:
Something smells good in stinkville ... honey, bring me the cats ass! <takes a giant sniff of the cat's butt> ahhh, that's better.

FabFilter Pro-L and PSP Xenon are both absolutely fantastic limiters, and top in class in almost every aspect. If the two of you think these limiters stink or sound bad somehow maybe you should hang out. You definitely have something in common :lol:

Each to their own.
You must not forget that there can be no "one" perfect limiter. There's bound to be some audio material that favors one over another. It's just how it is.. which is why I highly recommend everybody has at least a few weapons of the trade lying around.

Cheers!
bManic

TheoM wrote:
billcarroll wrote:
TheoM wrote:
maxxxter wrote:
manducator wrote:
How come?

Each to their own.
huh? Pro-L is my favourite limiter of all time. I have maintained that stance since it came out :shrug:

i think you misread.

Yes i am not a fan of xenon cause i find it can't get things anywhere near as loud as pro-l before the artefacts come.

Sorry but we still agree that pro-l is awesome, and i am one of the two quoted, so i am confused there.

:?
You were quoted for "xenon is pretty bad" which is kinda like saying Pro-L is pretty bad. By no means am I saying these two limiters are the same. They are both very very good though, each with their strengths. I'm baffled to see someone say either is "pretty bad" as I think it doesn't do the plugins or the people that make these terrific plugins any justice.

However, each to their own. Everyone is entitled to their opinion :)

well your post wasn't very pleasant mate.. but whatever

I really like fabfilter Pro-L but maxxxter opened my eyes to VladG Limiter6, I think that's a keeper too. Which doesn't mean I will ditch Pro-L. They are different.

TheoM wrote:well your post wasn't very pleasant mate.. but whatever
At least I'm not needlessly trashing a plugin you coded or something of the sort. Just calling you out on the statement "xenon is pretty bad". Sorry if you feel I was rude, but how do you think the fine people at PSP feel about you flippantly trashing their plugin for no good reason?

flippantly trashing?

I have used it every day for the 14 day demo and did not even consider it a contender, or even half as good as the 15 euro barricade, and i can't post my opinion in the EFFECTS forum in a topic about opinions on mastering LIMITERS?

Oh ok...

Xenon is the bomb. I love it. Makes things loud transparently. Has no artifacts, no pumping or distortion.

SO the lie, is that better?

I was simply quoting some one else.. and partially agreeing. Look at the context it was said in..

i was trying to say to the person, it's weird cause our taste is generally the same except for Pro-L, and i couldn't work out how he didn't like it.

God forbid if KVR should become a place where we can't post negative opinions on plugins.. that's the KVR i would never visit.. cause it wouldn't be in the real world mate.

Honestly.. whatever.. as you were.

If you want to hear a transparent limiter, this is one of the most invisible made:

Now that i can't hold my tongue at all about. On dance/pop music, there is no worse limiter, especially for the price. The distortion reaction is just absolutely awful.

Yeah, I didn't have much luck with the flux limiter either. :(

I couldn't quite believe it cause they were sprouting all this new tech jargon with it, and it just literally falls apart as soon as the transients hit it.

DELETED

Oh my! you are the first person besides me to say that EXACT thing about FG-X!

WOW MAN!!!!! You kinda made my day as i thought i was totally alone!

almost word for word.

And yes, the compressor is superb, the limiter BLOWES CHUNKS then SUCKS them back in.

Return to “Effects”