Transient Shapers (you gotta love'em!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

They are cool and I use them a lot.

I really like SPL's transient shaper.

bbaggins wrote:The Sonalksis transient shaper that's included with Superior Drummer is indispensable. Too bad it's not a separate plugin, because I'd use it on other things if I could. I haven't found anything else (anything affordable, that is) that's as good.
The sonalksis one in superior drummer 2 was the first transient designer I used and it's great, would love a standalone version. Haven't found any other transient designers that I care much for, so I never use 'em.

gmitch wrote:
osiris wrote:The one called Transient from the KVR Challenge is really good.
YEP!!!
hmm... 1st time I tried that I didn't like it because of the "chatter" ripples and digital sounding sharpness in other words the overall action didn't seem smooth to me.

I have to try it again, maybe it was the bad luck of trying it on unsuitable? stuff the 1st few times...

3ee wrote: hmm... 1st time I tried that I didn't like it because of the "chatter" ripples and digital sounding sharpness in other words the overall action didn't seem smooth to me.

I have to try it again, maybe it was the bad luck of trying it on unsuitable? stuff the 1st few times...
Agreed. I'm an NI Transient Master owner. I really like it. Stillwell's "Transient Monster" is really good too. In a head-to-head comparison, I'd have to choose the NI one; it's a little richer and transparent.

The KVR DC12 entry, Transient, exhibits serious audio artefacts and ripples. I downloaded it with great hope. SleepyTimeRecord's "Stereo Channel" is a decent plugin, but the "Transient" could use some coding work, me thinks. :)
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

I use transient shapers all the time.

If this was a year ago, I'd recommend the one I use. Unfortunately, when I had a problem with it, the dev showed he was an absolute dick, so no more good publicity from me. I still use it as I paid for it and it does the job beautifully, but if NI ever bargain-basement their one, I'll get it and bin the one I use

this one is getting on a bit, but it's still high quality like all the digitalfishphones plugs:

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.p ... &subItem=4

OK, had a quick replay with the Transient plug.
I don't find it to have that much of a digital harshness but the artifacts are still there.

You can tweak the plug in such a way that there won't be any perceived zipping or "bit distortion mash" but as I found, the interesting character usually lies "beyond the gate" with this one, meaning if you find the setting you like for the case, most likely it won't be usable because of the artifacts.

By comparison, the NI Transient Master is a lot finer and quicker to tweak, despite both plugs looking nice, the Transient plug has more features also, but in the end, sound quality award goes to (and by significant difference in this case IMO)... not so fast, I didn't got the play with the rest :D ;)

My favourite one is SK Notes' Mattertone. So incredible useful :D
Also, while not really a transient shaper, Clipshifter 2 (new version in beta, where first version was in DC12) can shape transients though not add. Wait until it's released, i think you'll like it a lot!! The GUI is gorgeous!
:hug:

mikusan wrote:this one is getting on a bit, but it's still high quality like all the digitalfishphones plugs:

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.p ... &subItem=4
As I remember, I didn't like that for subjective reasons (main character of shaping)

But, if I think about it, Blockfish can be considered more of a transient shaper with compression characteristics besides. That thing can certainly snap, punch, bite and it sounds beautiful.
The overall sound quality can feel dated sometimes but that plug is a classic for sure!

BitterSweet 3 is quite good and it's free.
http://www.fluxhome.com/products/freewa ... ersweet-v3

Resonator63 wrote:BitterSweet 3 is quite good and it's free.
http://www.fluxhome.com/products/freewa ... ersweet-v3
:tu:

Actually, I think I'm gonna keep this as a different alternative the the NI one.
Would have been great if there was a limiter incorporated.

Any good sub 35$ transient shaper out there?

3ee wrote:
gmitch wrote:
osiris wrote:The one called Transient from the KVR Challenge is really good.
YEP!!!
hmm... 1st time I tried that I didn't like it because of the "chatter" ripples and digital sounding sharpness in other words the overall action didn't seem smooth to me.

No, it's just that the Native Instruments Transient Master plugin is vastly superior.

In fact, in my opinion it is by far the best transient enhancer plugin on the market. It's way better than SPL's own transient enhancer plugin too.

This is my opinion.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

You must get the updated version of Transient. One was released after the first entry. Perhaps it fixed the 'zip' sound. I love the X2 buttons, but you have to tweak it just right. Too much negative value on the release can mute some sounds on a loop. For solo on kicks - just right.

osiris wrote:You must get the updated version of Transient.
What would that be? Today I downloaded the "latest" version with the X2 buttons, hmm 1.00?

And don't get me wrong, the plug isn't bad just for example, Flux BitterSweet3 seems way better IMO and people can use that instead cause it's free as well.
Any good sub 35$ transient shaper out there?
I suggest you give the Flux BitterSweet3 plug a try. ..just don't overdo the big knob :P

..and I found that transient shapers in general sound better on individual drums or less filled buses, otherwise it might not work as solid as expected.
For example, there were cases where the NI one didn't do a good job bringing the sustain up on an acoustic drum loop.

Return to “Effects”