SKnote c165a - Have You Used This Amazing Comp Yet?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right, don't get it as an offense! We'll get the demo versions one day! :)

TheoM wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote:I have it, was super impressed by how good it sounded. Super impressed!

Although I've had mixed feelings about some of Quintos other plug-ins. I've not tried all that many though.

I really like his plate reverb and can't wait for his EMT 250 and DDD, will buy instantly I expect.

Recently got an interest in getting Strip Bus again just for the SSl 4k bus comp.
If you go for the comp before i do, let me know? maybe i can plunge in DBX and you on SSL and we can give each other opinions :lol:
Yes but for starters you should check quintos utube video on it, that sold me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwESg3M3iow
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

kvaca wrote:thanks for clarification and topics renaming Brother Charles,now its much closer to reality... :)
Brother Charles wrote: He very graciously refunds your money if you are unsatisfied with your purchase. No questions asked. Demos get cracked. Unscrupulous people go to audio warez sites and download em' all the time.
so nobody can honestly try a demo becouse these unscrupulous people can have free fully functional version /via sent money - refund - retain plugin/... :shrug:

I bought like 7 or 8 plugins from memory and didn't want two of them (well one of them didn't work, verbtone, and i didn't click with GTS39 and stripbus.. ok that's three, this was the FIRST version of stripbus not version 2), i trashed them from my email and quinto stuck to his word and refunded within around 24hrs.

Nothing to worry about.

:)

Hi guys stupid question, but i just went to check out details of c165 at sknote website, and i clicked on gui to see a full blown pic, and there is this weird border, kind of looks like a studio desktop backround or something, around the gui.

i just wanted to make sure that it's just a backround that was not cut properly for the gui pic.

Surely it can't be part of the gui? that would probably drive me mental.

Also, i clicked on grasso pic to enlarge and it goes to a 404.. same as a few weeks back, would really like to see grasso full size so i can get a feel for it. Please fix dead link Quinto :)

TheoM wrote:Hi guys stupid question, but i just went to check out details of c165 at sknote website, and i clicked on gui to see a full blown pic, and there is this weird border, kind of looks like a studio desktop backround or something, around the gui.

i just wanted to make sure that it's just a backround that was not cut properly for the gui pic.

Surely it can't be part of the gui? that would probably drive me mental.
It is part of the GUI. Here's a screenshot of it running in Studio One (only my name is blurred). Click the image for a full-size view.

Several users (including me) already said that they'd prefer the border to be gone. It's not the most important thing in the world, and I suppose Quinto will find a good solution once the more important things are completed.

Oh ok, not tooooo bad.. the one on GTS looks pretty bad though from the enlargement i just made :(

I wonder how much coding it would be to just kill that.. i also wonder if i remove the image files of the border from the mac resources file if i can get rid of it myself. Hmmmm...

I am looking at it and just imagining how clean and frankly quite stunning it would look without this "border". I can't see any purpose for having it there at all :shrug:

TheoM wrote: I am looking at it and just imagining how clean and frankly quite stunning it would look without this "border". I can't see any purpose for having it there at all :shrug:

Yep, would be cool :)

paterpeter wrote:
TheoM wrote: I am looking at it and just imagining how clean and frankly quite stunning it would look without this "border". I can't see any purpose for having it there at all :shrug:

Agree. Much better.

Regarding the 165: I get a real nasty distortion when I turn Auto off and start to push it a bit. I hear this same kind of nasty distortion to a lesser degree with the GTS-39 too. Does anyone else get this, since I seem to be the only user in the world ever reporting this? It's not an "analog" style distortion either, instead it's a very digital static (or crackle) like sound. Sort of like when digital clipping hits up against a bad D/A converter.

That said, it sounds fantastic in Auto-mode on drums.

TheoM wrote:Oh ok, not tooooo bad.. the one on GTS looks pretty bad though from the enlargement i just made :(

I wonder how much coding it would be to just kill that.. i also wonder if i remove the image files of the border from the mac resources file if i can get rid of it myself. Hmmmm...

I am looking at it and just imagining how clean and frankly quite stunning it would look without this "border". I can't see any purpose for having it there at all :shrug:
it would be a shame if that gui detail stopped you from enjoying the plugin tho...

+1, it's really just a minor thing. I think the GUI of StripBus (and similar) is far worse* and I *still* love those plugin like mad. Because they *sound* good.

* and I'm looking forward to the UI update Quinto has been talking about :)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
paterpeter wrote:

Agree. Much better.

Regarding the 165: I get a real nasty distortion when I turn Auto off and start to push it a bit. I hear this same kind of nasty distortion to a lesser degree with the GTS-39 too. Does anyone else get this, since I seem to be the only user in the world ever reporting this? It's not an "analog" style distortion either, instead it's a very digital static (or crackle) like sound. Sort of like when digital clipping hits up against a bad D/A converter.

That said, it sounds fantastic in Auto-mode on drums.
No, no; that's a commonly reported problem. I simply do not use automatic mode, because it instantly gets distorted. Perhaps that's what Quinto's machine was like, but I just don't find it very useful.

However, auto-mode is the star, and it sounds amazing. So I just leave it there.

I pretty much love all plugins by Quinto. They have their charme, but they major turnoff for me are the huge CPU load due to fixed OS (8x usuall).

Both GTS-39 and C165a are CPU eaters - not funny. But they sound good.

I used the C165A on the Waves/Abbey Road REDD demo (see thread in FX section) if someone is interested (snare especially).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

If it lost the border graphic and had the HQ switch implemented, I'd grab it without hearing it. If it's good enough for you chaps...

And side-chains are kind of essential to me these days, as it seems it is a whole lot more difficult achieving this effect in my current DAW of choice, without it. I wouldn't buy a dynamics processor without one.

As for the graphics thing, is it skinnable? Meaning is there a file I can open in an editor and black out, at least. Sorry, but that border would be bug me too! It's such a beautifully designed gui. I'd find it distracting.

And as for the 4X oversampling, I probably have cotton-wool ears as opposed to golden ones, but even those times when I can tell the difference, I prefer the 1X sampling one - DCAM Synthsquad being one example. I guess that for effects there is a difference though and it's probably a good thing. Still if you can't notice the difference and you are working on low powered CPUs which I am a lot of the time, the HQ switch would really make up my mind.

cheers.

codec_spurt wrote:If it lost the border graphic and had the HQ switch implemented, I'd grab it without hearing it. If it's good enough for you chaps...
agreed :D /except I would still need to hear it-hence prefer demo/
but its more what prevented me buing it:
-GUI /too big,ugly borders/
-missing OS switch /ideally like in Glue - one for prewiew and another one for render/
-missing analog switch /like in some Waves-I dont prefer adding that noise without reason/
-unusable compressors manual mode /distort awfully in most settings/
-disabling compressor have zero effect on CPU usage /still the same CPU hog/
-unlinked mode is hard to imagine without lowering CPU cycles a bit
But I hope Quinto will improve all these things and also made a demo one day, so maybe next time I will buy... :)
And I also wish Quinto release only the limiter alone one day,because this is the work of genius...unfortunately not the compressor,especially in manual.That limiter souds good in any settings -when abused even better-and that all without using any lookahead or clipper at final stage and wihout letting any significant transients untreated /like all 1176 clones do/, this is what I call rare analog-style limiting with nice character...
Last edited by kvaca on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bought, waiting :hihi:

Return to “Effects”