Good Peak Clipper? (not a Limiter) What, where, why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been using gclip as my go to clipper and it's awesome. I' m gonna check out the ones mentioned in this thread though.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

TSClip is the best.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Currently using the IK Classic Clipper, and limiters that can clip (like Pro-L, or fruity limiter). I was looking for alternatives the other day...

vladg has an old (GUI-less/prototype) clipper called serp clip. Win only, but 32 and 64-bit: serp clip

I preferred gclip to serp clip (based on loudness and GUI mostly :oops:), but maybe someone else can clip better than I? Going to try some of those in this thread :)

The IK Brickwall Limiter also has a clip and also 2 sat algos. Not sure how good/useful they are, but an option.
T Roll wrote:Voxengo elephant clip algo
Totally forget about that one. Good call :)

Agemo wrote:ClipShifter 2 is a revelation if you want to raise levels without distortion.
Talking of raising the level without introduce distortion you should check DSP-1. In his current incarnation is dedicated to drum processing (not limited to drums, but for other audio material I reccomend the forthcoming versions).

vaisnava wrote:I am curious if anyone can recommend a good peak clipper... not a limtier.

Also, unless I am mistaken... a clipper is not like a brick-walled compressor...

If you think that a Clipper is kind of useless or redundant though, please point out why. :)

Thanks! :)
all clippers sound fizzy /when set hard/ or dull /when set soft/ but they are acceptable if you want to remove only limited amount of db from peaks...

but I always prefer decent saturation or tape plugin... or good saturating analog-style limiter /which are still very rare unfortunately/

@midnight wrote:TSClip is the best.
but-only if yoused with sat algo on...otherwise fizzy as others

Ah_Dziz wrote:I have been using gclip as my go to clipper and it's awesome. I' m gonna check out the ones mentioned in this thread though.
This is also my go-to one, but it seem to occasionaly miss the really fast peaks. Is there a faster clipper out there?

ferez21 wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:I have been using gclip as my go to clipper and it's awesome. I' m gonna check out the ones mentioned in this thread though.
This is also my go-to one, but it seem to occasionaly miss the really fast peaks. Is there a faster clipper out there?
all clippers I know are designed so to not miss any single peak...If gclip dont behave the same then its not a clipper maybe /but compressor/ :shrug:

I use Event Horizon very frequently, very good plugin IMHO - usually, I don't use limiters, except Slate FG-X.

ferez21 - ClipShifter allows you to set attack time.

kvaca wrote:
@midnight wrote:TSClip is the best.
but-only if yoused with sat algo on...otherwise fizzy as others
of course, I only use it with saturation full on. it sounds amazing on the drum bus, and allows you to get tremendous volume increases without sounding overly distorted.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Iv'e seen a video on Groove3 in which the guy used Logic's bit-crusher to trim peaks on some drums, and it works like a charm. Anyone know any similar PC plugin? A plugin with a visual representation of the peaks crushing will be the best.

ferez21 wrote:Iv'e seen a video on Groove3 in which the guy used Logic's bit-crusher to trim peaks on some drums, and it works like a charm. Anyone know any similar PC plugin? A plugin with a visual representation of the peaks crushing will be the best.
GClip and ClipShifter have visual representations of what you're doing to the waveform.

audiosabre wrote:vladg has an old (GUI-less/prototype) clipper called serp clip. Win only, but 32 and 64-bit: serp clip

I preferred gclip to serp clip (based on loudness and GUI mostly :oops:), but maybe someone else can clip better than I? Going to try some of those in this thread :)
Following this thread I have tried (again) GClip vs SerpClip3 (the former got erased after being exposed to SC3).

The results were the same : GClip had its time but SC3 is the new king (for me).
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Return to “Effects”