No more De La Mancha!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I sympathize with the trials and tribulations of running your own store, but I'm just curious: why not throw up the payware on Dropbox (or similar) and provide paid customers with the final downloads?

Steve, I am sorry for your troubles and I can more than sympathize. I would like to add my sense of loss at hearing that you will no longer be providing you innovative plugins. Good luck with your future endeavors. If you ever come back to the world of plugin development, you will be welcomed back with open arms.

Thanks,

JJ
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

bduffy wrote:I sympathize with the trials and tribulations of running your own store, but I'm just curious: why not throw up the payware on Dropbox (or similar) and provide paid customers with the final downloads?
+1
[Insert Signature Here]

bailees7irish wrote:I still use Unstable semi-religiously. Good luck!

~Brendan
Shush! It's my secret weapon.

dang, didn't get every de la mancha plug-in i wanted.

well, at least i've got some of them..

cheers!

(oh, believe it or not, there's 1 plug i've used on every track for the past 2 or 3 years - gts with the mojo cranked in my guitar signal chain. whether it was ever meant for that, idk... but i slap it in a guitar signal chain 'all the time'... usually with low ratio, threshold, and relaxed attack/decay... just enough to put some 'mojo' in there. that's not to mention sixty-five, dirty harry, qb3, the other gt-compressors, and basic_64, etc...)
Last edited by PurpleCatfishBettie on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sorry to hear about the website hell.
and i totally understand the 'realife/time' thing.
maybe someone could help with a shop so you could at least keep getting sales.?

you've surely given us a class collection.it will be sad to loose you.
all the best. :hug:

WOK wrote:And - for God's sake - do make backups of your things! (USB HDs aren't THAT expensive any more, you know...)
...or get a G-mail account, 10GB free storage in the clouds ;)

I have bought Scylla earlier, and got some effects in a nice deal :)

De La Mancha had one of the most reasonably priced slicer plugs, weird that it wasn't a market for that.

What will happen to the earlier payware now, will it become freeware later?

Numanoid wrote: What will happen to the earlier payware now, will it become freeware later?

:pray:
[Insert Signature Here]

de la Mancha wrote:Woah, many thanks for your kind words and thoughts, it makes it even harder to quit and sorry I couldn't give more notice.

I wanted to write a thread to explain, and had to rush a change to my website today, then you guys beat me to it to post on KVR. Anyway, here goes...

The reason it is so sudden is that beyond my control and abilities, the webshop software and database has been corrupted and is no longer functioning. Despite my best efforts to repair, despite I had backups and took precautions, it is utterly dead. I won't bore you with the details, but the complex relationship (for me anyway) between php programming, sql databases, ad-hoc patches and customisations, complicated upgrade procedures and security issues have conspired to totally f**k up the webshop.

So losing that I have lost access to the backend software and the database and it means you can't access your accounts and download links, or make any purchases.

I apologise for the inconvenience, but it means I really can't send you new download links or sell plugins :(

So, that's the technical reason. There's also a personal side to it too. Nothing bad, just typical real life stuff taking 110% of my time and no spare minutes to dedicate to plugins. The last plugins I developed was back in 2011 and I didn't even have time to enter the KVR Dev Challenge, as much as I would have loved to. So with this technical hurdle getting in the way, I don't have time or energy to work around it or start again. Sorry.

I don't care that SynthEdit has limitations, nor that pirates distribute my software (lol, they had to buy it first though) or that working in a supermarket would pay more per hour than selling plugins. Those reasons wouldn't stop me, it was always about the challenge, the inspiration, the collaboration and making twisted noises.

I want to thank all of you for making the music tech community as vibrant and inspiring as it is. KVR got me started in using plugins and making music and I never would have made plugins if it wasnt for the help here. There's so many people to thank personally that I couldn't begin to list them all here, but there is a special thank you to say to Sink, an awesome collaborator and friend-for-life to whom I owe a lot of gratitude for helping make dlM plugins what they are. Merci mon ami! There's loads of you I'd like to thank but if I start a list I'll inevitably forget someone.

I'm not completely disapearing, the website remains and the freeware is still downloadable. Anything you bought from me will continue to work for as long as computers and hosts will run them.

Your kind words and warm wishes are very touching and validate for me that it was all worth doing, an unforgettable life experience and I'm proud to have been a little part of it.

Keep making noises, music and trouble

Steve

So what, you have the freeware files still, but totally unrelated to your main website, you didn't think to have backups of all your final payware installers on other backup media? I simply don't believe that.

Good luck man but this is plain wrong.. It's a lesson to everyone to always have their backups, but i read your story a couple of times and I really am sorry that it happened instantly like that without warning, but you should at least say something publicly to give people (like Ghostwave for example) who have lost their installers permission to get them from another user if you won't help them, or simply dropbox or something like other said cause i believe you do have backups.

Your friend here said you were physically fine. it is not cool to just not give some time frame for everyone to get up to date. You say nothing in any of your posts that even suggests you will help anyone who needs the installers in any way.

very uncool. You are alive and well and seem to have dismissed that a few customers might need downloads one more time, i mean now that they KNOW you are gone the customers will make multiple backups once they have what they need, as now they have that heads up.. But you have just closed that option off, in one go, one post, one website change. Bam. Gone. Please do the right thing, put up a temporary link to all the installers. I am not a customer as on mac, but do what's right for your customers please. You haven't even addressed the suggestions of others on how to get their installers.. You are just avoiding it in your post. So much for C/R being a headache, something like this happening is exactly the same thing for non c/r stuff. Who would have thought.

TheoM wrote:So what, you have the freeware files still, but totally unrelated to your main website, you didn't think to have backups of all your final payware installers on other backup media? I simply don't believe that.
He didn't say that. It may be just too much hastle to set up a shop again a handful of sales each month.
it is not cool to just not give some time frame for everyone to get up to date. You say nothing in any of your posts that even suggests you will help anyone who needs the installers in any way.
very uncool. You are alive and well and seem to have dismissed that a few customers might need downloads one more time, i mean now that they KNOW you are gone the customers will make multiple backups once they have what they need, as now they have that heads up..
They should have made backups after their purchase :roll:    If DlM can not access the database of his shop because even the backups are unusable without going thru days of redo customizations, updates etc., he can't tell who is a legal customer. And for the little revenue we small developers are getting I understand that he does not have time for this.
If you loose your ticket for the bus, the busdriver will not take you with it. Why he should give someone a free ride?
People complain about C/R protections that will actually be a problem when a company disappears, but they are even too lazy to make a copy of an unprotected, downloaded program? A CDr costs 10 cents.....
It's not DlM's problem if people not take care about their things. I must say this a little harsh because it's annoying to get mails "I had to reinstall my computer, can you send me again the the plugins I bought 2 years ago" or from my computer business "The password of my router and my internet account? I remember a paper, but I don't know were it's gone..."  
:bang:
ImageImage

I feel sorry about the issue. Still I think setting up a shop using Share-it! is a matter of minutes http://www.mycommerce.com/share-it

WOK wrote:
TheoM wrote:So what, you have the freeware files still, but totally unrelated to your main website, you didn't think to have backups of all your final payware installers on other backup media? I simply don't believe that.
He didn't say that. It may be just too much hastle to set up a shop again a handful of sales each month.
it is not cool to just not give some time frame for everyone to get up to date. You say nothing in any of your posts that even suggests you will help anyone who needs the installers in any way.
very uncool. You are alive and well and seem to have dismissed that a few customers might need downloads one more time, i mean now that they KNOW you are gone the customers will make multiple backups once they have what they need, as now they have that heads up..
They should have made backups after their purchase :roll:    If DlM can not access the database of his shop because even the backups are unusable without going thru days of redo customizations, updates etc., he can't tell who is a legal customer. And for the little revenue we small developers are getting I understand that he does not have time for this.
If you loose your ticket for the bus, the busdriver will not take you with it. Why he should give someone a free ride?
People complain about C/R protections that will actually be a problem when a company disappears, but they are even too lazy to make a copy of an unprotected, downloaded program? A CDr costs 10 cents.....
It's not DlM's problem if people not take care about their things. I must say this a little harsh because it's annoying to get mails "I had to reinstall my computer, can you send me again the the plugins I bought 2 years ago" or from my computer business "The password of my router and my internet account? I remember a paper, but I don't know were it's gone..."  
:bang:

You know i am pretty pro consumer but i do try and look through scenarios on the devs side.. this one is too harsh to the customer and that's how i feel so i guess we can agree to disagree. I'll go out of this topic now, i said what i felt.. it's a very cold goodbye from de la mancha, that's just how i perceive it from this end.

sorry to see you go!

Bye bye dlM :cry:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

TheoM wrote:... you should at least say something publicly to give people (like Ghostwave for example) who have lost their installers permission to get them from another user if you won't help them, ...
Theo,

I contacted Steve last night and he said he would send me the updated dll.
As to your question regarding freeware/payware, I think Steve still has everything. It's just the database that's screwed.

The difficulty with providing links to payware is that they are tied to user accounts and each customer has bought different plugins.

I have all the DLM plugins (20 FX and 10 instruments) and they total 1.26 GB, including all the audio files.

What Steve could do though, is to make all his payware available for free to any previous DLM customer, regardless of what they bought.
For the rest of the people, he could sell all the plugins as a bundle for a limited time.
I think that way, everyone would be happy and he would get some more money from his great work.
Just my 2 cents.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Return to “Effects”