Which vst based guitar amp sims should I check out?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

scuffham s-gear 2
end of thread. 8)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I have thought AmplITube was great for years before I was with IK.
Fender was great... the rest, as they say, is history... :wink:
You need to limit that rez, bro.

kbaccki wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I have thought AmplITube was great for years before I was with IK.
Fender and everything forward was great. History repeats itself - Soldano, Anger, Slash gear, etc are all ways we've raised our bar internally against the still-great Fender.

I think S-Gear raised the bar the most.

We'll see. I just wanted to suggest a more than viable option here but since there's been the comparison I'll just say that we hear about an "AmpliTube killer" almost every quarter if not more often then... come back in a bit of time and we're talking about AmpliTube yet again. Makes it more than worth a shot in this OP's horse race I'd say. I'll leave it at that, don't want to veer the thread as there are many viable options I was merely suggesting one that I've been supporting WAY before I was with IK and will support way beyond that from the looks of it.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:We'll see. I just wanted to suggest a more than viable option here but since there's been the comparison I'll just say that we hear about an "AmpliTube killer" almost every quarter if not more often then... come back in a bit of time and we're talking about AmpliTube yet again. Makes it more than worth a shot in this OP's horse race I'd say. I'll leave it at that, don't want to veer the thread as there are many viable options I was merely suggesting one that I've been supporting WAY before I was with IK and will support way beyond that from the looks of it.
Here we go again... how about letting the users tell their experiences? This marketing is looking little iffy. It is not like Amplitube is some gold standard, it is just an ampsim among the rest. And S-Gear isn't flavor of the month, it's been constantly praised by users as fast as they found it.

I have some amplitube custom shop fender models and while they are ok, when I compared the sound of Amplitube and S-Gear with cab bypassed the harsh reality reared its ugly head. Now I just use S-Gear Duke model and tweak it till I get me those "fender" sounds. Lately I've been using Nebula for cabinet simulation so this is very important to me.

Oh and it is not like Amplitube sounds even as good as S-Gear with cab sim on, it is usable but nothing more. In the end the user decides which sound works best for him and with demos he can check it out himself.

S-Gear actually behaves like an amp. Everything else are ampsims. :D

I also must say that I very much dislike the way IK likes to drop into a thread and plug their stuff in, repeatedly. It's became very annoying. Do I see any other ampsim developers doing that, or hijacking the thread in the same way? No, because they actually have some selfrespect and don't want to paint that wrong kind of image of themselves like IK continues to do.

I noticed the same thing with DiscoDSP...

At this point the only need for something other than S-Gear is for throwing pedals in front of it.

Here comes the "IK Multimedia shouldn't post into any threads" whining and sniveling, again.

No reason they cannot recommend their product when someone asks what amp sims they should try.

In fact, Peter recommended the FREE version over the paid version.

Seems Amplitube has become the defacto "gold standard" to draw so much attention, competition, and criticism from users of other products.

In response to the original poster, I'll add my recommendation to try Amplitube 3 Free...and that comes directly from user experience.

My second recommendation would be the full version of Peavey Revalver.

Amplitube Free has more gear expansion options through the Custom Shop.

Between that and the other I mentioned, there is a lot of variation and tonal possibility.

so back to sims....

I'm really glad someone brought up that "creme" amp. Been playing with it a ton and for that coin, I'm pretty sure it's going to end up in my arsenal. Nice not overly intrusive demo restriction too (gentle hiss every once in a while, not "HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" like some :hihi:

I don't know how I've gone all this time w/o knowing. I definitely have too many amp sims! :lol:

beau921 wrote:Here comes the "IK Multimedia shouldn't post into any threads" whining and sniveling, again.
Well here is another snivel. I wanted to download Amplitude for evaluating with all the other's i'm trying, i got fed up with having to register and install download manager and custom shop i just deleted it :x Everything else just installs to my VST folder without any fuss.

S-Gear , love it after a days tweaking :)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
kbaccki wrote:
Fender and everything forward was great. History repeats itself - Soldano, Anger, Slash gear, etc are all ways we've raised our bar internally against the still-great Fender.
That's what I meant by "the rest"... the new stuff after Fender...

leggie wrote:
beau921 wrote:Here comes the "IK Multimedia shouldn't post into any threads" whining and sniveling, again.
Well here is another snivel. I wanted to download Amplitude for evaluating with all the other's i'm trying, i got fed up with having to register and install download manager and custom shop i just deleted it :x Everything else just installs to my VST folder without any fuss.

S-Gear , love it after a days tweaking :)
That's too bad, cuz there really is some nice stuff in AT3, IMO... But also IMO select AT3 models + S-Gear is the way to go...

kbaccki wrote:
That's too bad, cuz there really is some nice stuff in AT3, IMO... But also IMO select AT3 models + S-Gear is the way to go...
Agreed. I used to have it on iPad and sounded really nice, apart from the shitty headphone connection thing which to be fair was not IK's fault, the iPad is just shit for making music on :roll:

Anyway back on topic did i mention S-gear

:hihi:

I use Amplitube 3 as my main sim, but I will be picking up S-Gear real soon. In fact I might pull the trigger today. It just sounds and feels too good not to have. Guitar tones are so subjective and personal though. What one person hears as bright another might hear as harsh. With Amp 3 and S-Gear, I can't really see needing anything else.

Return to “Effects”