Which vst based guitar amp sims should I check out?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

blueman wrote:
aradaz wrote:May I suggest Amplifikation Vermilion :oops:
This one's on my short list of go-to models for clean and slightly overdriven tones. Love this amp :love:

Here's a lil' clip of me trying to coax some sultry tone-age from this beauty :D :hihi:
Such nice playing. Wish I could do that! You're like Dimi aren't you :lol: Anything you play through is going to sound good!

hibidy wrote:Anything you play through is going to sound good!
Sir, you are TOO kind :oops:

blueman wrote:
aradaz wrote:May I suggest Amplifikation Vermilion :oops:
This one's on my short list of go-to models for clean and slightly overdriven tones. Love this amp :love:

Here's a lil' clip of me trying to coax some sultry tone-age from this beauty :D :hihi:
Great clip! Thanks blueman :)

Thank you, everyone. I gave AmpliTube and S-Gear a test drive.

Amplitube is clearly superior to my current amp sims (Guitar Rig 4 and Pod Farm 1.0). I'm a big fan of AmpliTube. It is absolutely worth it's $200 price tag. However, the last thing I want in my sacred creative space is to experience product marketing hype through an app. That sucks in my world. (for instance: hopefully there is a way to configure the browser to display only presets actually in my possession) That said, AmpliTube is so good I'll probably purchase a license for use down the road anyway.

S-Gear surprised me, it is brilliant. I ran it's Marshall sim through my system (a Steinberg MR815 into an old school 1978 400 watt QSC power amp thru two 4312 JBL Studio monitors (which feature 10 inch woofers backed up with 10 1/2 lb magnets).
It actually felt as if I was playing thru a real Marshall combo! That was quite a delightful surprise. No other amp sim in my experience has attained that level of realism. It was a total grinfest. And that level of excellence cost just $100?

Today, I purchase a license for S-Gear and Recabinet (along with a license to use TAL UNO-LX -I know, that one is unrelated, but, I just have to give that guy his due)

Thanks again, everyone. Leonard

Maybe that's the thing. I use cans exclusively. I wonder if I played them through monitors or something like that if I'd feel different. But on cans, I'm just nowhere near as rejoicing over s gear as others.

Hink wrote:not just with sim users, recab is great with the line out from amps and pre-amps as well :tu:
You betcha. Just picked up Recabinet a little while ago and I'm using it with my AMT SS-11B tube pedal. Recabinet is pretty cool - more pleasurable to work with than a generic impulse loader and scrolling through huge lists of files.

As far as sims go, I definitely haven't tried them all, but I like the sound of generating the actual distortion OTB in the analog realm better than the sims I've tried thus far, even if I'm not getting the whole amp experience complete with power section.

(I guess now that I'm in a house with no really close neighbors, I could conceivably get something like a Rock Block or Microbaby, put a cab in the spare room and shut the door, and record an actual miked cab. Dunno, guess it wouldn't be THAT big of a PITA necessarily.)
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Peevy2000 - thanks for the honest comparison. Definitely noted, and sorry I didn't note this earlier. There are great tools out there and of course I already explained how I feel we are one of them to consider of course.

I change my mind all the time. One moment I'll be like "whoooooaaaaa" and the next like "wtf is this garbage". I guess I'm a typical guitarist :hihi:

Been looking into an axe fx. Would be about 3-4 months before I can pick one up but they seem like I might like that more than kemper. Anyways, like I said, that's a ways off. For now I'm still demoing the Kussava creme (I think I'm going to get it though) and mucking around with others. Still loving the TSE x50 with recabinet.

Sometimes rockrack does it for me too :shrug:

Fickle fickle. Depends here........

hibidy wrote:I change my mind all the time. One moment I'll be like "whoooooaaaaa" and the next like "wtf is this garbage". I guess I'm a typical guitarist :hihi:
I do this but typically blame myself when I sound like crap. Different angle on typical guitarist idiosyncrasies, I suppose :)

I'll chime in here...

I'd used Amplitube 3 with the fender pack for a while. I really really liked the supersonic model... my only complaint is it's pretty noisy... the noise on the overdrive stomps seemed a little excessive IMHO. Tap delays were great for a church setting... I ran it inside of usine as it was the only way I could deliver a reliable tap tempo from my fcb1010.

I had some time. So I decided to play around with the much venerated S-gear. Downloaded the demo.

That was a mistake.

I lost 2 hours. I looked at the clock, and when I tired a few of the presets and all of a sudden 2 hours had passed. It was amazing.

I put amplitube in front of if for the stomps and after it for delays and it was ok...

I actaully found Guitar rig 5 better for that though... GR5 seems to have better modulations and reverbs.

But back to s-gear. It's more 'like' an amp than any other software I've played... really. I go back to the amp models in Amplitube it makes amplitube feel like GR5 (I never cared for GR5's amp models, good effects but not so much on the amp models). Their steeler model is just awesome... A fuzz in front and a strat is heaven.

So for my I'm shelling the money for s-gear. and will use GR5 in front and behind for stomps and modulations.

Sorry IK, it was fun while it lasted but I'm moving on to seeminly greener pastures.

I'm back to rockrack with the maag eq as a mainstay. Honestly, I obviously have no clue or I'd pick something and stick with it.

AT3 Slash is good.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

AmpliTube 3 + AmpliTube Slash + AmpliTube Jimi Henrix (SilverTwelve :love:)

J4R1O wrote:AmpliTube 3 + AmpliTube Slash + AmpliTube Jimi Henrix (SilverTwelve :love:)
Yes, the latest generation of Amplitube modelling has gotten really good.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Kuassa!
Win/Mac 32/64 and demos available online.

The Creme is actually 3 models with 3 channels each and 3 distortion/overdrive pre-fx, two cabinets/mics can be mixed and stereo-panned. Everything in there, from soft and clean over raw and bluesy up to really high-gain metal. High gain settings are usually the absolute death for any amp-sim, not for this one!

Even if I tend to skip the preamp section for clean sounds (IK's Jazz Chorus = god), the cab section is better than anything I ever heard, and I own ReCabinet and some ReWire Impulses.

I also have / had AmpliTube CS, Guitar Rig LE and Vandal CM, but Creme is the only amp sim so far that delivers this kick-in-the-stomach thump of energy in the low-end like a real cabinet can. Chugga til the woofers blow!

Haven't used the others from Kuassa yet, and I don't really like their free one, but Creme is an awesome and very versatile piece of software that is -in my opinion- way above the others in "realistic" sound.

You should definitely check that one out!
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Return to “Effects”