Which vst based guitar amp sims should I check out?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:Not to mention all those free ampsims from LePou, TSE, Nick Crow, Ignite Amps, are pretty much just drop-in your VST folder. Piece of cake. :)
I use very little [almost none] free software. So, I was speaking of commercial software [amp software, in this case], since Amplitube 3 Free, in essence a commercial product, was the topic of discussion.

But, to your point, even that vst .dll file has to actually be put into the computer, somewhere, and in the proper place. Hence, installed, in some manner.

I've tried a number of free software amps, and have not found a single one that truly competes with the function, versatility, sheer options, and overall sound quality of Amplitube 3.

The ones mentioned above obviously do not have the same level of features as Amplitube 3 Free.

So, for me, even if they are, arguably, easier to install, the end result isn't improved.

The original question was what amp software to try, not what amp software that doesn't take too much effort or installation to try.

I added a voice for Amplitube 3 Free.

It was deemed too difficult and/or troublesome to install.

In the poster choosing to not install Amplitube 3 Free, crisis averted.

i'm not a purist or anything. i'm also not a guitar player. but i took a few lessons with my son, bought an old 'silvertone' student model, got that berringer interface (actually, looks like the berringer but $8 knock-off)and plugged it in. i have guitar rig 4 and amplitube 3 and pretty much everything mentioned above in the freebies. i tuned drop c (like drop d but everything down 1 more) with really fat strings, and guess what? i am one shredding emeneffer. i ran it into Orion and used their onboard tube emulation? i mean, i'm a GD rockstar!! 'course, i'm not picky....it all sounds awesome.

hope that was helpful!
i'd rather have a mullet than a comb-over.
fortunately, i have neither.

beau921 wrote:
It was deemed too difficult and/or troublesome to install.
Nope, i said don't want to install crap on my computer..

Look if you really have an issue with what i said let's have it out on PM and stop clogging this thread with crap. but i will only tell you go f**k yourself :D

IK is 95% marketing machine IMO and your sounding like you work for them, fine i don't have to buy their stuff and i don't....

:D

Unfortunately, not everything is x64 (obviously SM wouldn't be)

I applaud all those that are though :clap: Take a bow!

beau921 wrote:I've tried a number of free software amps, and have not found a single one that truly competes with the (...) and overall sound quality of Amplitube 3.

Heh. Ignite Amps and TSE beat A3 in high gain area like nothing.

I agree with TSE red channel. I can't get the anvil to sound right though and the stuff seemed to be a little upset with live 9 :hihi:

hibidy wrote:I agree with TSE red channel. I can't get the anvil to sound right though and the stuff seemed to be a little upset with live 9 :hihi:
The whole word is upset with live, how dare they upset the world !

Also, I wanted to note, I use recabinet almost always. I think you can expand "anger" with recabient. I dunno though, this "creme" cab has potential! Too new to it though......

I have to say, I ended up returning the redwirez big box. There was nothing wrong with it (mixIR worked great btw!) but all I did was tweak :shrug: In the end I couldn't create anything I liked better than recabinet, and I already had that.

The only thing about TSE and recab is if you want that BEEFY BEEFCAKE sound (which I like!) you usually need a limiter on the backend or you'll have all kinds of hell.

The Kuassa has a limiter on the cab, very handy. Sure, when mixing you might want to go another route or change things up, but when just playing or tracking it's handy.

And one more thing :hihi: for now ;).......the gate sucks in the Kuassa :lol: If someone has a way of getting it to do it's job w/o hacking the sound, let me know! In the mean time, I'll just use the live 9 gate

leggie wrote:
hibidy wrote:I agree with TSE red channel. I can't get the anvil to sound right though and the stuff seemed to be a little upset with live 9 :hihi:
The whole word is upset with live, how dare they upset the world !
haha, well, 99% of my plugs work terrif on live. The anvil stuff (and that's the 999 too) did not.

Oh, and speaking of TSE. Do NOT forget to try the 808 :) It's really lovely on the front end for a bit of extra bite even at minimal settings! And the TSE stuff isn't and noisy as some AS's, but it really could use a gate :hint:

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/satur ... on-plug-in

Almost forgot, the amp stuff are actually pretty decent

IK Multimedia's Amplitube reminds me of the time I bought a really cheap half gallon of vanilla ice cream. Was it ice cream? Yes. Did it taste like real vanilla? Sort of. It was sort of plastic. Perfect analogy to Amplitube. Yes, they are amps and most sound like pure MEH. The front end of the pick attack is not there. No real 'bloom' to the note envelope. It did not respond to me like any real amp I've ever encountered.

I actually chose a couple amp heads from that wonderful LePou guy who makes them basically for free. The Le456 head is worlds better than many commercial amp sims. His cabs are great, too. I still have and sometimes use his.

BUT, if you guys want to play in the major leagues here, you need to head for at least Kuassa, better still, the Scuffham S-Gear 2 is simply unbelievable. His three amps sound better than most real production line tube amps. I am not exaggerating one bit. I was pretty well stunned on the first audition.

I don't mind anybody posting their opinions. I just posted mine. But when it starts to sound like a hard sales job all of a sudden, then it really looks cheap. Can't afford a display advert? How about make the amps sound better, then they'll sell themselves? That's how some of these small, independent makers are slaying the couple Goliath companies out there.

Finally, I have serious issues if I have to install all this other rubbish just to play a stinking amp. It's time to wise up to all that. No Dongles, no big annoying registration hassles (especially if I'm only demoing, I demand NONE), no hoops to jump through for the 'privilege' of trying or paying for your product. Sorry indeed, but I am the customer here, and don't you forget it ever. I've been making a living in music for decades now, partly to avoid all the corporate interference in my life. I'm growing more fed up with these big business plugin companies every day. You can't even see what else is new on KVR some days because, for example, Native Instruments will hog 5 or 6 of the news slots. You know exactly everything I'm getting at here. Enough is enough. I'm patronising these small, independent builders from now on.

Edit - a response to your tirade would just further the OT. I'll wait for the next alleged "AmpliTube killer" to attempt to "slay" it and be back again to repeat the process with AmpliTube still being the one to "kill"

Thanks everyone. This is KVR at it's best. There is lot's of great experience and insight here. I look forward to test driving your suggestions.

FWIW-I don't mind it at all when a dev pops in to suggest their product., For sure, I'll give Amplitube a fair go 'round. Thanks again, Leonard

LePou isn't x64 yet. (sigh) someday I'll get to try it.........someday........

Return to “Effects”