Why are there no close to hardware native vst effects?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ch00rD wrote:My answer to that would be, in one simple word: UAD.
Always wondered what UAD sounds like. Would you mind running this sample over some of your favorite UAD plugs?

try_original.mp3

Matter of fact I welcome everyone here to run this sample over their favorite plugins and share the result.
Beats Of The Heart - Reggae Documentary (1977)
Post-Dilla: A Comprehensive Guide to the Beat Generation:

resistent wrote:
75ips wrote:
resistent wrote:Why do you think is there a lack of good emulators
I don't think there's a lack, I think it's more a matter of combining the right stuff. And by the looks of it, you just haven't found your secret combo yet.
I don't think so I own a sherman filterbank show me an replacement in software. I wish I could sell my sherman and bought a software instead.
Nobody is saying or has said there is a direct or even indirect replacement for your beloved Sherman Filterbank, Rather that you would be best served in combining the best of both worlds - So feed all the signals you like that warrant the Filterbank's processing then take that signal ITB and further treat it with the best of what you like and use in the box as others have already said along with 75ips

Having the best of both worlds/domains is clearly only a benefit to me and many others at least, I fail to comprehend how you are unable to get your loaf around this!

Furthermore contacting Sherman to enquire if they have any plans on teaming up with somebody/somebodies to implement an ITB alternative if you are so desperate to see/need to have an ITB option would be more fruitful than a thread of moaning, No? What have you got to lose in doing so?

and the classic YMMV disclaimer obviously because it really seems to be the case resistant

Cheers and all the best to all as always :)

Dean

resistent wrote:
75ips wrote:
resistent wrote:Why do you think is there a lack of good emulators
I don't think there's a lack, I think it's more a matter of combining the right stuff. And by the looks of it, you just haven't found your secret combo yet.
I don't think so I own a sherman filterbank show me an replacement in software. I wish I could sell my sherman and bought a software instead.
Have you checked out Etch or The Glue.
Both amazing multimode filters.
Your host will make up for any missing modulation possibilities.

I thought the current trend was circuit modelling ie hardware emulation?
Where have you had your head shoved the last year :P
Amazon: why not use an alternative

As for analog/digital delay emulations, again there are quite a few but I wont do all the work for you :hihi:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75ips wrote:
Ch00rD wrote:My answer to that would be, in one simple word: UAD.
Always wondered what UAD sounds like. Would you mind running this sample over some of your favorite UAD plugs?

try_original.mp3

Matter of fact I welcome everyone here to run this sample over their favorite plugins and share the result.
I always wondered what people do with that kind of music. I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it, and in fact, whether you're kidding or not. :)

Please also provide an example of what you'd do to it with a Sherman filterbank, and I'll see what I can do in a similar fashion with some UAD stuff.

Burillo wrote:why do we have to have close to hardware FX?
Analog hardware has all sorts of limitations and issues based on physical laws and limits of materials that cause an engineer to have to make a lot of hard choices. Overcoming issues is often possible, but at a great cost to manufacture. So, you get something like a Sherman Filter Bank but it's expensive so not a whole lot of people have one. A lot of developers will try to bring the cost of an effect into a price range and that means corners are cut, but this can also be a creative endeavor. So manipulating materials with fixed properties in a way to get a good sounding effect (or synth for that matter) that doesn't break the bank becomes an art. "Quirks" become "features." I think a lot of software effects, while good, don't spend a lot of time adding weird quirks that become characteristics we grow to love and appreciate. Flaws become character traits.

It's a theme often explored in sci-fi. The whole point of The Matrix trilogy (though muddled) was that when machines tried to make a "perfect" emulation of the world, humans rejected it. Just like humans reject Eden and Pike rejects the hot blonde aliens put him with. We find perfection unnatural and we reject it. So, in The Matrix 3 we learn that "Zion" and what is perceived to the humans as "outside The Matrix" is really just built in imperfection that humans crave. That's what Old Testament creation theory is all about.

This is just as true in synthesizer development, of course, but there's probably just more money in emulating a Minimoog than a Moogerfooger. The "diva" that gets emulated first becomes "Diva." :hihi:

Now, of course, lots of developers have put out fantastic effects that use this sort of character driven emulation (though not specifically emulating a particular piece of hardware) . I urge everyone to go to Stillwell audio's website and download and install all their plug ins. They do a great job. Oligarc is one of my all time favorites.

So, here are the devs to look for (IMO) when it comes to "hardware-ish" audio effects:

Stillwell Audio
Audio Damage
U-He
SoundToys (though overpriced IMO)
Xils
IK Multimedia

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting or don't know about, but you'll go a long way exploring the effects you find from those developers.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

resistent wrote:I don't think so I own a sherman filterbank show me an replacement in software. I wish I could sell my sherman and bought a software instead.
why? why would you be so convinced of the irreplaceability of something and yet actually want to replace it? utter insanity.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Perhaps he needs the money for crack.

It would explain a couple of things.

:hihi:

Ch00rD wrote:I always wondered what people do with that kind of music. I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it, and in fact, whether you're kidding or not. :)

Please also provide an example of what you'd do to it with a Sherman filterbank, and I'll see what I can do in a similar fashion with some UAD stuff.
I see you're more into that techno stuff, but this is just an old unknown sample from the 80s. What I wanna know is how UAD or other plugins would affect its sonic character so I can imagine what they would do to my own stuff.

Here's when I ran it through ToneBoosters:

http://home.no/dwaynie/tape/try_jeroen.mp3

And here through FerricTDS:

http://home.no/dwaynie/tape/try_ferric.mp3
Beats Of The Heart - Reggae Documentary (1977)
Post-Dilla: A Comprehensive Guide to the Beat Generation:

resistent wrote:
Fred_Abstract wrote:soundtoys stuff is decent when compared to good hardware but depends what you are after.
Soundtoys are for me one of the most overrated plugins.
I didn't read the whole topic but i I think you've answered your own question.
A pair of new ears...

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

/* static noise */

Return to “Effects”