Three new modules & British Channel GUI update (edit) HERE NOW!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah, to see AND enter directly - then it would keep it on the Custom Shop (if you wanted) or totally on the site (if you wanted). That sounds like a good level of control. I know we can display how many credits you have in Custom Shop so, I'm thinking JamPoints could show there too. I'll see if there's a reason they don't.

I apologize for assuming, too, as I had just visited somewhere and the daily dose was clearly intentional so I was expecting it here too. The irony kind of sucks (your irony, not the irony that I wasn't catching flak here ;) ), then, and definitely let me know if you are seeing any of those reminder emails getting to Junk/Spam folders. I'm wondering if there's wording that could be changed either way (or a more obvious subject line) as people seem to miss these mailings.

Back to the plugins;

Channel Strips: I was checking performance of the White channel vs the British channel last night in Reaper 4. The BC was taking up 0.65% CPU per instance (with all features engaged). In contrast, the WC was taking up a bit more, about 1.67% CPU. I am running a dual quad core mac pro with 10GB of RAM on OSX 7.5. Interesting that the WC takes up a bit more than twice the CPU, (although still very usable).

I tested the compressors side by side on Kick and Snare. I found that the BC had more of that VCA "smack" when pushed hard than the WC. For kick and snare I preferred the BC, but I haven't compared them on any other sources yet. Overall both channels sound great, and I like them both, but they do sound different, as they should, being modeled on different desks. So far, I am gravitating to the BC (I do mostly straight ahead rock, so that fits well).

It should be said again that the new UI is a pleasure to work with on both strips, I find it quick and easy to use. I have UAD SSL, Waves SSL, and the Tracks SSL's. So far, T-Racks is the easiest on the eyes (Waves looks murky, and UAD's labels don't match the actual values you are adjusting, and there is no tool tip or label to show the exact value for the knob as it is being adjusted, which is a pet peeve.) Sound? I still think UAD SSL has an edge, but this new BC is really sounding good to my ears, I have to do more listening.

Bus Comps: UAD SSL v Waves v T-Racks: I think the UAD comp sounds fantastic. Its tight, snappy, open and clean. The Waves bus comp is my least favorite, I usually use it as a special affect, perhaps parallel compression for a drum crush bus... I find it flat and it easily pumps. In fact, comparing the UAD and Waves side by side, there is a huge difference in sound, and I much prefer UAD especially on the 2 bus. The T-Racks? Well, it definitely sounds good. Its not as snappy as the UAD, but I think it has a better "tone". I will probably be using either the UAD or the T-Racks depending on the need. I will probably use T-Racks on groups, and UAD on the 2 bus for now. That said, the T-Racks bus comp is the one that sounds the most rock and roll to my ears, it has an excitement to it, while UAD is more clinical. Those are both good qualities depending on the application. Nice job IK!

Thanks! I think you bring up a great point about source material and what plugins you'd use them on. I'm a more rock guy too, so I gravitated toward the British Channel but the White Channel has its place too. Especially as I gravitate back toward a more acoustic-based rock with some electronic stuff blended in there. And the Bus Comp has so much personality that I just love it.

blueman wrote:
Lode_Runner wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but how does the Echoflex differ from the EP Tape Echo that came in the latest version of Amplitube Hendrix?
To my ears, the tape echo in AT Hendrix sounds different; it's grittier, has limited controls, and can only be inserted before the amp's input. The Echoflex is smoother, has a lot more control (including, individual stereo knobs) and can be inserted as a "single" vst anywhere in your signal chain.

The last thing that I wanted was another echo emulation. But after hearing it, it was a no-brainer at 60 credits. 8)
Thanks Blueman, I'm going to get it.

I'm one of those rare [it seems] who doesn't find the new modules, or old ones, for that matter, sounding really great.

No, I've checked a few times, they sound just like your average banana.dll VST wrapped in a nice [memory consuming] GUI. Nothing special here.

But have it in whatever way you like. I don't listen through iPhones, so maybe that's it? I should get those probably...

I've heard of the developer who goes by the name of HoRNet, and his plugins sound nice. Kinda make real difference. I love them, and I spared myself some $. I challenge everybody to try them. Your experience of plugins will never be the same again afterwards. IK plugins in comparison sound extremely dull.

Off.

p.s. no, I'm really far from working for HoRNet... It's just my experience from using them for more then a while. This guy makes great plugins. IK and Waves can just stuff theirs. Yeah, I'm one of those creepy persons who can actually hear the plugins, not just evaluate the GUI.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:I don't listen through iPhones, so maybe that's it? I should get those probably...
No you should get some 12" Cerwin Vegas like mine....then you'd actually be able to hear that the IK plugins are indeed great sounding. But to each his own.... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KevWestBeats wrote: i am glad i am not the only one who doesn't see the point of all of the nagging.
But you don't seem to mind nagging about the nagging and complaining about the complaining, right? Seems we're not so different, you and I ;) If it bothers you, just ignore it, right? That's your advise to me, so you might do well to take your own advise here! It's all relative anyway, and we are just expressing opinions from different sides :D

blueman wrote:
KevWestBeats wrote: i am glad i am not the only one who doesn't see the point of all of the nagging.
But you don't seem to mind nagging about the nagging and complaining about the complaining, right? Seems we're not so different, you and I ;) If it bothers you, just ignore it, right? That's your advise to me, so you might do well to take your own advise here! It's all relative anyway, and we are just expressing opinions from different sides :D
Some people just aren't happy until there's homogeneity, I guess.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

blueman wrote:
I disagree.

I should also mention that I really like the filter control. That was a nice touch, and missing from most bus compressors... very handy to be able to let those bass frequencies pass through without triggering the comp if you so desire. People have mentioned a mix knob, which would be a nice future feature, but if you use a daw like Reaper, there is a mix knob on the actual effect shell, so you always have an easy way to do parallel compression, or parallel eq and saturation, or anything else you can dream up.

Hey, is sampletank 3 going to use CS system as well? i have been saving my jampoints for it but i may as well use them for credits if that's what's going to buy it. I know a little OT but it seems you guys are going this way?

TheoM wrote:Hey, is sampletank 3 going to use CS system as well? i have been saving my jampoints for it but i may as well use them for credits if that's what's going to buy it. I know a little OT but it seems you guys are going this way?
I would say in time yes it will but I'm not 100% sure it will out of the gate.

Ok cool.

Thanks Peter.

I guess i do want the bus comp, i have 280 credits and 30 euro jam points so i could spend 30 euro and get another 60 euro of pointz.

The thing is i WANT quite a few amplitube stomps but i am so stuck on the fence because of this installer issue.

I have nothing bad to say about IK or Custom Shop. I purchased Amplitube last summer and since that I've purchased a lot of virtual goodies: amps, stompboxes and racks. I even sold my Line6 Pod XT Live because Amplitube models sounded much better. Ok, I still have one I use at gigs. 8)

Last autumn I had a difficult decision to make: iZotope Ozone or T-RackS. My choice was T-RackS because of its 670 and Pultec, and I think it was worth of every euro. :)

Well, there is one "bad" experience - I want to say that it was completely my fault - and that happened when I purchased Quad Image via CS and couple of days later I thought I should update from T-RackS Deluxe to T-RackS Grand to get White 2A and Black 76 and all the other Quad series racks. So now I have TWO Quad Image racks ;) and that cost me 80 (or was it 60?) credits...

edit: forgot to mention that IK Bus Compressor is worth of every 120 credits.

TheoM wrote:Hey, is sampletank 3 going to use CS system as well?
I really hope so. The ability to add sample content right from inside ST3 would be great and I don't need it to ship with Gigs of samples that I will never use like Horns and such.....Whether or not that's possible from a technical standpoint is another story but imagine being in the middle of a song and thinking "I really need a Tubular Bell sound at this point" and then being able to go into the ST Custom Shop , purchase and download the sample to use right away.......... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Effects”