Three new modules & British Channel GUI update (edit) HERE NOW!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As does Cubase. Anyhow I should have mentioned, comps in the audio clip above are Duende, The Glue and IK Bus comp, (not necessarily in that order) thanks IK for the retrial :)
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
TheoM wrote:
DuX wrote: I'd rather bring it up GUIless. That's why I'm always asking for GUIless plugins,
Cheers!
well you would love logic then. Honest.. ANY plugin can use the plain jane default AU gui.. just a plain backround with sliders.. just click on button in logic. done.
Reaper offers this too.
I use Reaper, and the GUIless option very often, however, I would appreciate my computer's memory to stay free from useless bitmaps, too. ;) When you work fast, and have a lot of work, it's often best that all the GUIs you work with are a) either VERY familiar, or b) the same. ;)

Having said that, I noticed something about the old British Channel GUI: it is not bad at all, but to make things more clear, they should have made the circles around pots colourless, and showing the value clearly. That wouldn't be bad. Just like my StudioKonnekt remote, or Behringer BCR2000. That's great when you see clearly where the values are.

LOL: I was gonna ask you Aiynzahev, what plugins did you use for comparison. I'm lucky that I have Duende and I never have to worry about the SSL plugins. I'm very satisfied with them. It's interesting to notice that all in the box SSL Bus Compressors I've heard sound quite differently. My personal favourite is Duende and The Glue. I tried IK Multimedia one and it was nowhere near those for me, sorry. Or rather, IK one sounded just bland to me in comparison, or if you want - too clean. IK one might just not my cup of tea, nothing to do with quality, I suppose.

Thank you for posting it, Aiynzahev! Nice to hear them all at once. I tend to agree with your impressions/assertions, too. You didn't use the sidechain option in any of them, I suppose? I'm afraid that everybody will like the second example best because there's more bass, and it sounds louder subjectively, that's why I ask about the SC. I personally prefer the 2nd example, too, due to bass, but one should actually pay more attention to transients, and overall "glue". It's easy to bring the bass up with an EQ a dB or two, or use SC to keep the bass intact [which I don't usually do, I rather pump up the bass with the EQ].

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Aiynzahev wrote:http://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/a-comp ... -ssl-style

Three SSL comps!

My Impressions:

My impression

1 - Fat kick, but it's not sitting in the right place. It's also not a deep thumping kick
2 - Clearer, more relaxed while maintaining better control and keeping the bass deep. Preserves your overall sound the best I think.
3 - Retaining the bass, but adding some distortion and much colouration. It's still good, but it's going to change your sound.

Dry, then comps 1, 2 & 3. All same settings
Attack .10
Release .1
Ratio 4
About 4-5 dB reduction

I did my best to level match of course.
Big difference between those. 1st one almost seems slightly high passed. Using the sidechain would probably make a difference. Like how the 2nd one tightens everything up. I actually sort of like the colored sound of the 3rd one, but might not work on everything.

My problem with using the same settings on comparisons between compressors is sometimes their sweet spots are in slightly different places. Have you tried yet to just get the best sound from each regardless of setting?

NO SC on any of them, however oversampling was used where available.

Yes, same settings produce different results, I did tweak the threshold to give a comparable feel though, Duende is far more aggressive than the other two so I tweaked them all to give a comparable style of compression, with the same settings otherwise.

It's a very revealing fact that while I was setting up the examples the differences felt far more pronounced than when listening back! This is partly because while you are tweaking you hear big differences, when you match as closely as possible the differences diminish. But they are there. I suppose it's true you can't really go wrong with either, but if you are looking for something very specific that's where each one presents it's different uses.

I wish I had PSP busspressor to compare. Maybe someone can take the original, cut it and put it through the PSP comp with the same settings and a comparable amount of compression. It's cheaper and PSP have a good reputation.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Yes, PSP one is good, too. They make great plugins in general, for those who like a little bit of "mojo" like me. :D I demoed it some time ago, but forgot about it. Some day. I hate v1.0 or beta of everything. It's just calling for trouble, and I never use or buy first versions of any product. ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

So nothing more going on with regard to what's posted or the new modules yet?

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:So nothing more going on with regard to what's posted or the new modules yet?
Yes Peter, I bought the echo and the buss compressor.
I think they're both great. I particularly enjoy the tape echo, it does sound close to the real thing.
Oh grief, I've just noticed the other pages that I haven't read.
Don't shoot me just yet.
Steve

bradleyfilms wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:So nothing more going on with regard to what's posted or the new modules yet?
Yes Peter, I bought the echo and the buss compressor.
I think they're both great. I particularly enjoy the tape echo, it does sound close to the real thing.
Oh grief, I've just noticed the other pages that I haven't read.
Don't shoot me just yet.
Steve
Please stay in your seat and keep all appendages inside the ride at all times :)

I have PSP Buspressor Aiynzahev, when I get a decent internet connection I could make the tests for you.

waltercruz wrote:I have PSP Buspressor Aiynzahev, when I get a decent internet connection I could make the tests for you.
Thats great. To make it easier I will upload just the unprocessed section that way the file size will be smaller. I want to reveal the results soonish though.

To Peter, yes since I got a retrial I decided I really like the White channel. I appreciate how clean the whole unit is and how it effects the signal as soon as you switch it in with a nice "larger than life" sound. In fact if you disable the compressor, even though it's not showing any gain reduction you can hear a change in the signal.

It may just be level, but overall I don't believe the effect of the plug-in is simply level because you can compensate for that by turning down the output. I feel I am able to hear when a plug-in is actually altering the sound rather than simply boosting the gain.

However I don't like the compressor for very heavy compression on either version (White or British). Maybe I need to experiment some more but I think I am too closely comparing it to the Duende Channel strip, which is much more aggressive and colours the sound a lot.

I also like the EQ, it's very clean and it doesn't become harsh or sharp, however again it's not as aggressive as Duende. Duende can easily sound harsh and abrasive but actually that can be so useful for giving a sound real spit and angst.

So I'd love to have the white channel to mix a nice airy acoustic song with lots of body. I might pick it up at some point I just need to find out the licence transfer policy (just for my peace of mind).

The British channel is equally good but not as appealing to me right now, probably because I've preferred the white channel immediately and therefore used the British channel less.

So yes, really happy you guys released this stuff its so nice to get this kind of quality. One advantage over Duende, it's definitely cleaner and will effect your signal colour much less and therefore does not dictate a certain mix colour or tone as much as Duende does.

As for the Bus comp I've already given my view but will say some more once I reveal the results just in case anyone is using the test.
Aiynzahev-sounds

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Peter, is IK going to be the first to model the Distressor? Considering the popularity of this unit, and how often I see a model of it asked for, it's amazing that no one's done one yet.

Yet, who HASN'T already made an SSL? I mean I"m up to my virtual ears in SSL Buss Compressors. I say you guys go for the gold and try to be the first to get an accurate Distressor emulation out the door.
Absolutely! I've always wanted something new, too. Something that no one emulated before like the Distressor, Chandler Little Devil,...

@ Sami, re white channel license transfer, i can almost entirely assure you that it's non transferrable. Peter, correct me if i am wrong. (but i doubt it)

unless it's available on it's own with it's won installer, it's own product, or in a t racks purchasable bundle, ie if included in that bundle, i can't see how it could be transferred

The Main Event wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Peter, is IK going to be the first to model the Distressor? Considering the popularity of this unit, and how often I see a model of it asked for, it's amazing that no one's done one yet.

Yet, who HASN'T already made an SSL? I mean I"m up to my virtual ears in SSL Buss Compressors. I say you guys go for the gold and try to be the first to get an accurate Distressor emulation out the door.
Absolutely! I've always wanted something new, too. Something that no one emulated before like the Distressor, Chandler Little Devil,...
I would love to see us do a Distressor. Loved the sound any time I've used the real unit, so I'd love a more affordable version to use more easily in the box.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
The Main Event wrote:

I would love to see us do a Distressor. Loved the sound any time I've used the real unit, so I'd love a more affordable version to use more easily in the box.
My thoughts exactly! Plus NO ONE has done one yet. Who do we know at IK that we can petition to make this a reality? :wink:

Peter, what did the guys say at IK? Are they willing to create it? I would pay a fortune for this, and for sure, I'm not the only one.

Return to “Effects”